Insurance for a 19 year old | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for a 19 year old

mroheemun

So here's the situation,

i will be 19 very soon and I've decided to finally get my first motorcycle, I've decided on a Ninja 250R after a lot of research. I am getting a lot of different answers reading past posts about how much my insurance will be, i understand that insurance will be very high with only an M1 so I've decided on waiting until my M2 to insure the bike, i will do the riders course to get my M2. I am relocating to Peterborough within weeks so my rates will definitely be cheaper there. Please advise me as to what i can expect to pay for insurance, i understand i can just call all the companies and get quotes but whats the fun in that LOL.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Do you have a clean record currently? I live in Peterborough, and got my first bike last year when I was 23. I got quotes on multiple different bikes and the trend seemed to be about $3500-3800/year. I am currently insured with Intact, and it went down substantially this year (now $2000). I also took the course at Fleming to get my M2.

Most companies wont insure you with an m1. Usually at least confirmation of a safety couse. No one can tell you what you will be paying.

Make your own calls

Yup, clean record, got my G last year, ive been insured since i got my G2 May 2013. What kind of bike did you get quotes for SS's or 250's? 3500$ is pretty steep since i already have a mode of transport but i really wanna ride this year, i'll contact some companies this week... What do you ride now?

Yup, clean record, got my G last year, ive been insured since i got my G2 May 2013. What kind of bike did you get quotes for SS's or 250's? 3500$ is pretty steep since i already have a mode of transport but i really wanna ride this year, i'll contact some companies this week... What do you ride now?

It's going to be expensive, no way around it. There's a few places where you can get an online quote, like TD (best if your alumni etc) or rider's plus; but your best bet is to make phone calls. A lot of younger riders who have had their driver's license for at least 5 years go with State Farm to alleviate some cost. I don't think you'll get away less than $3k, even on a 250. Sorry. Ontario insurance is rough.

It's going to be expensive, no way around it. There's a few places where you can get an online quote, like TD (best if your alumni etc) or rider's plus; but your best bet is to make phone calls. A lot of younger riders who have had their driver's license for at least 5 years go with State Farm to alleviate some cost. I don't think you'll get away less than $3k, even on a 250. Sorry. Ontario insurance is rough.

My friend got insured from SF at 16(M1) on a 750 with not even a G1, who said you need 5 years to get SF? Granted it was 8K a year but theres nothing about a 5 year driving record??

The contradiction im getting is just making me more nervous LOL

My friend got insured from SF at 16(M1) on a 750 with not even a G1, who said you need 5 years to get SF? Granted it was 8K a year but theres nothing about a 5 year driving record??

I just signed up with state farm. Not sure how long ago your friend got insured, but I don't believe they'll insure you today if you haven't been driving 5 years. They base your motorcycle insurance off your driving record, so M1/M2 and maybe even M don't make a difference.

Hate to rain on your parade... Only a phone call will get you a real number. Just preparing you for the worst because it ain't gonna be cheap.

Call your friends broker then... I'm sure there are some agents willing to break SF's policy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got quotes on a CBR125 and a 250, as well as some older 650 bikes. I ended up buying a 2013 Zero S. I would recommend looking for a quote through Allen Insurance in Cobourg, as well as from State Farm.

I have an me with intact .. and pay 104 per month for a cb500f ..

This will be my 3rd season on the road .. and 34 f

It wont be that expensive since its a 250. Try calling desjardins, they have reasonable rates. At 20 with a gm2 license, i was quoted at $2,200 with TD and $1,400 with desjardins.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom