Insurance adjusters are so stupid... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance adjusters are so stupid...

Pistachio Nuts

Last year, my parked bike was involved in a hit-and-run. The ********* knocked my bike over with his pickup. (The guy was later found and charged. I had his plates and security cam footage of the entire incident.)

Anyway, the estimate for repairs is more than the value of the bike, so my insurer is writing it off. Of course, their offer will not cover 100% of the costs of buying a replacement. But the thing is this: despite the damages, I can still ride the bike.

TBH, I don't understand why I don't have the option of just keeping my bike and not making an insurance claim. The insurance company has already "deregistered" the bike "due to total loss valuation."

I even asked the adjuster if I could just get a few items fixed. Their answer was that my bike will be "deregistered" and re-registering the bike would be costly. This is so dumb. It would save the insurance company money (having to settle), and me the headache of finding another bike.

This is a bit annoying...:(

You have the right of first refusal (I think thats what its called) to pay the salvage value and keep the bike. Its only worth it if there is no frame damage (branded title), or if there is frame damage, part it out or track bike.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Last year, my parked bike was involved in a hit-and-run. The ********* knocked my bike over with his pickup. (The guy was later found and charged. I had his plates and security cam footage of the entire incident.)

Anyway, the estimate for repairs is more than the value of the bike, so my insurer is writing it off. Of course, their offer will not cover 100% of the costs of buying a replacement. But the thing is this: despite the damages, I can still ride the bike.

TBH, I don't understand why I don't have the option of just keeping my bike and not making an insurance claim. The insurance company has already "deregistered" the bike "due to total loss valuation."

I even asked the adjuster if I could just get a few items fixed. Their answer was that my bike will be "deregistered" and re-registering the bike would be costly. This is so dumb. It would save the insurance company money (having to settle), and me the headache of finding another bike.

You still have the bike? Keep it and you came out ahead, they would normally turn around and sell it to the dealer that has it at their shop for parts.

If they wrote it off they own it - you'd have to buy it back from them if you want to keep it.
If they've already deregistered it, the hoops you'd have to jump through just aren't worth it.
I went through this with my car about 18 months ago, the difference between writeoff and repair was about $1K but they wouldn't let me keep it and pay the difference for repair.
After all was said and done, I sent a nasty email to the peckerheads involved, just reminding them that if they'd done what I wanted in the first place they would have saved a month of car rental and accumulated storage fees.
Blame no-fault, the system doesn't work, contrary to what F3800RC might tell us.

If you buy it back and use the same insurance company they can and will ask to see all the receipts for all the new parts before continuing insurance on the bike. Neighbour down the street crashed his R6. At fault and $7500 estimate. All minor cosmetic stuff but new tank, new exhaust .... anything with a scratch was replaced as bike was less than two years old all parts must be new. When he asked about keeping it and fixing it himself they told him it had to be fixed to new condition with bills to prove or it would not be insured by them. Ended up being able to cancel claim but it took a lot of arguing. Still has bike. Only needed lever turn signal and mirror to be drive able again. Also if it is a total loss you get HST on top of value. If you buy it back they may not have to pay that to you. Extra 13% you don't get.

Most adjusters don't seem to know what they are doing. More so with bikes.

Neighbour finally got an adjuster to look at her eight month old traverse that got hit. She was stopped at a light, someone ran the red, tagged another car and hit near her front wheel. Damage over 20K. Entire body forward of the A pillar being cut off and replaced. They are fixing it. She is ******. She likes to keep her vehicle a long time and does not have faith in the longevity after that much cosmetic surgery. A little nip or tuck is fine, but when you Joan Rivers your car, it never ends well.

Neighbour finally got an adjuster to look at her eight month old traverse that got hit. She was stopped at a light, someone ran the red, tagged another car and hit near her front wheel. Damage over 20K. Entire body forward of the A pillar being cut off and replaced. They are fixing it. She is ******. She likes to keep her vehicle a long time and does not have faith in the longevity after that much cosmetic surgery. A little nip or tuck is fine, but when you Joan Rivers your car, it never ends well.

And now trying to sell a car with such claim history is going to be next to impossible.

That is partly why I like to lease my cars.

Had a CRV which had a 14K repair on it. All done through insurance and via the dealer that it was leased from.
Car was never fixed right. Stalled whenever it wanted to and was burning oil like crazy.
On the day of the lease expiry. I walked into a Honda dealer, different one than I leased it from and handed them the key and told them to take care of it from here on. They were not too impressed and I don't blame them.

Did that with my Saturn back in 1997. It was hit a month before lease end in my driveway. Snow plow. Demanded that it go to the dealers body shop. As soon as it was fixed I drove it to the dealer and turned it in. They did a crap repair and the dealer got pissy with me about it until I informed them they did the work and it would cost them to fix it. Dealer was not happy and I laughed out loud as I left. Hated the car almost as much as the dealership.

A few US states pay the car damage and the depreciation value on claims. Sweet deal but you have to sign off on the new lower value of the car. If it gets another claim value starts at the new lower value. Gets written off easier and payout less. I would also assume that vehicles get written off easier as that payout wouldn’t be paid on a total loss. Plus I wonder if you buy the car does your insurance decide the value is only what the last insurance company agreed to. Even if you paid more ? Buyer be warned and get the car proof or similar and big purchases.

Did that with my Saturn back in 1997. It was hit a month before lease end in my driveway. Snow plow. Demanded that it go to the dealers body shop. As soon as it was fixed I drove it to the dealer and turned it in. They did a crap repair and the dealer got pissy with me about it until I informed them they did the work and it would cost them to fix it. Dealer was not happy and I laughed out loud as I left. Hated the car almost as much as the dealership.

A few US states pay the car damage and the depreciation value on claims. Sweet deal but you have to sign off on the new lower value of the car. If it gets another claim value starts at the new lower value. Gets written off easier and payout less. I would also assume that vehicles get written off easier as that payout wouldn’t be paid on a total loss. Plus I wonder if you buy the car does your insurance decide the value is only what the last insurance company agreed to. Even if you paid more ? Buyer be warned and get the car proof or similar and big purchases.

Diminished value. Ask for it here and your insurer would laugh you out of the room. Not because it is an unreasonable request but because but because our government doesn't have the balls to make insurance fair.

Why do you want to save these guys money? Get the new bike, don't be stupid.

Was in an accident about a decade ago. Deemed not at fault, bike only had cosmetic damage but it was old so it got written off anyway. However, I did have the opportunity to "buy" it back at a very reasonable price (just meant I got a slightly smaller cheque from them), and I did so. They didn't even pause my policy - it was just clearly explained to me from that point on, unless I fully repaired it and had it appraised, the value of that bike for insurance was now $0.00. Which makes sense.

The key thing I think these days is knowing ahead of time that you would want this option, and firmly impressing upon the claims agents/adjusters that you may buy it back from them.

Edit: Insurer at the time was State Farm, FWIW

Why dont we have diminished value payouts here in ON?
It isnt fair to those of us who take extremely good care of our vehicles vs those who dont.

Things like regular service intervals with good quality fluids/replacement parts for wear/tear items, detailing/upkeep of the paint, interior etc are never looked at usually.

Last edited:
Why dont we have diminished value payouts here in ON?
It isnt fair to those of us who take extremely good care of our vehicles vs those who dont.

Things like regular service inervals with good quality fluids/replacement parts for wear/tear items, detailing/upkeep of the paint, interior etc are never looked at usually.
Diminished value payout drives up your yearly insurance cost. If we ever saw it, I expect it would be am expensive add-on option with very few takers.

As far as each person maintaining their car to a different standard, that is a very micro solution to a macro problem. They already have issues getting an agreed value based on age/options/kms adding the super touchy feel "care" probably changes nothing. Honestly, on a used car, it doesnt matter if you changed the oil and detailed it every 2000 kms or not. It doesnt matter if you paint corrected it and ceramic coated it. Those things may make for an easier sale but have almost zero effect on the money you get. You did them to make you happy, that was the value of the "care".

Back
Top Bottom