Importing gpx maps to Zumo 660 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing gpx maps to Zumo 660

DraginMiFeet

I am having a real hard time with this. I want to import a map in gpx format to my Zumo. If I do it through Mapsource, Basecamp or just copy the file into my Zumo to the gpx folder then import it into my favorites all I see is waypoints and usually quite a few of them. Yet I do just copy the route over.

I'm trying to import a route from www.motowhere.com

and this route in particular:

http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Snake-Rd-Sulphur-Springs-Rd-Ridge-Rd-Niagara-Pkwy

Does anyone have experience in copying routes to the Zumo?. I want to be able to go to favorites on the zumo and use the route not just pick out a waypoint.

Thanks, Colin

[h=2]Navigation & creating routes[/h]
[Q] Why can I only transfer 1 route to the zumo at a time?
[A]

• MapSource overwrites the file temp.gpx on the zumo's drive every time you click the "Send To Device" button. Therefore, when you disconnect the zumo from the computer and restart, you will only see the last route sent.
  • To correct, open a new instance of MapSource and copy and paste all of your routes and waypoints into this new file. Then click "Send To Device" in this instance.

[Q] Can I use the SD card to transfer routes?
[A[
Yes, but it is not the standard procedure: All routes, tracks and waypoints create in Mapsource are normally stored in the .GDB format. Normal procedure is to use Mapsource "send to device" (see description above) and routes get stored in the internal memory right away.
Reasons for using the SD card to transfer / store files:

• You have more then 50 routes (maximum capacity in the internal memory) you want to take with you
  • Files are already in the GPX format
  • Back up for your holiday's routes

You can transfer files using the SD card following this procedure:

• In Mapsource, use "save as"
  • Select in the box "save as type..." the format *.gpx
  • You can now either save the file on your hard drive or copy it on the Zumo's SD card directly
  • Make sure you created a folder on the SD card named :/Garmin/GPX/ and store all .gpx files in there
  • If you disconnect your Zumo from the USB or you replace the SD card in the Zumo's slot, it should ask (after about 30 seconds) "new data found; do you want to import?"
  • Select yes and the route gets imported onto the internal memory.

Back
Top Bottom