Importing Bike from QC Process | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing Bike from QC Process

mistersouthpaw

Anyone have experience importing a bike from quebec? I am sure someone does.. I bought it from a dealer and so I am paying tax in Quebec but am not sure about transferring the title into my name. I think the seller said he can register it for me through his dealership and plate it.. however I dont parle francais very well and am wondering if I will have to just get the bill of sale transfer, register it like any other bike and then end up double taxed? Possibly some miscommunication. Or can I get a refund from Quebec? Or can the dealer in Quebec give me an ontario plate? <- that doesnt seem right.

Input greatly appreciated muchos gracias

So was it a miscommunication when we discussed him putting an ontario plate on it for me? Delivery will take place in QC and mto charge me again? and then ive gotta try to get the federal tax back? damnit

Last edited:
Didn't sound right to me when you described the transaction.
I have a lot of rider friends who are bilingual, I'd be calling on one of then to assist real fast if it was me.

good luck with the purchase (y)
I think you need to research the bikes registration history before you bring it back here, but not certain on that point.

Is it nice?

If it was you could just forget about having to pay tax :| it would be more like buying a used chainsaw from quebec.

haha, well I realized the tax is actually quite low there its only a couple hundred bucks that I have gotta get a refund for so not a big deal

The biggest risk in buying a QC bike is branding. QC dealers can rebuild and re register salvage bikes — it’s very common as there is a good supply of rebuildable bikes available from ON and the maritimes.

If you try to register a QC rebuilt bike in ON you will find it cannot be plated for road use — track only.

Caveat emptor.

The biggest risk in buying a QC bike is branding. QC dealers can rebuild and re register salvage bikes — it’s very common as there is a good supply of rebuildable bikes available from ON and the maritimes.

If you try to register a QC rebuilt bike in ON you will find it cannot be plated for road use — track only.

Caveat emptor.

But im assuming if you pull up the vin at MTO or its quebec equivalent, it will show on the title yeah?

I have done this. QB tax 15% but dealer charged %13 and put it as "GST". Service ontario couldn't enter transaction in their system. Was keep coming up as I have to pay HST! in the end they consult with each other (nice ladies at service ontario) and figured out somehow to turn my tax payment to 0 (thanks to them). so my personal experience, it wasn't a straightforward process but with 5 mins extra time in Service Ontario, it was possible.

I have done this. QB tax 15% but dealer charged %13 and put it as "GST". Service ontario couldn't enter transaction in their system. Was keep coming up as I have to pay HST! in the end they consult with each other (nice ladies at service ontario) and figured out somehow to turn my tax payment to 0 (thanks to them). so my personal experience, it wasn't a straightforward process but with 5 mins extra time in Service Ontario, it was possible.

Yea so I actually went in to service ontario and spoke with them, they said if they charge you 13% federal they can manually override it as zero, however on my bill I was charged 5% federal and then 10% QST so I am not exactly sure what is going to happen. The lady said if they charge you 5% then service ontario will only charge you 8% and the QST would be the refunded amount. But with a clean carfax and the price I paid, I am a pretty happy guy. I am confident once I figure out which portion of the tax I dont need to pay that I can get it refunded, even if I dont get it refunded I am still significantly less than a comparable bike here.

Last edited:
We bought our last EV from Quebec, but the dealer was very savvy on selling to Ontario residents - we ended up paying both the federal and Quebec provincial taxes, but they immediately issued us a refund cheque for the QST portion thereof to make it easier for us - they took care of the paperwork on their end afterwards. When I went to register it in Ontario we simply paid the difference between the federal tax paid on the bill and the HST rate here in Ontario, which effectively amounted to the PST due. It was dead easy as a result, and we were out (even temporarily) no money in the end as a result.

We bought our last EV from Quebec, but the dealer was very savvy on selling to Ontario residents - we ended up paying both the federal and Quebec provincial taxes, but they immediately issued us a refund cheque for the QST portion thereof to make it easier for us - they took care of the paperwork on their end afterwards. When I went to register it in Ontario we simply paid the difference between the federal tax paid on the bill and the HST rate here in Ontario, which effectively amounted to the PST due. It was dead easy as a result, and we were out (even temporarily) no money in the end as a result.
That's what they said some do at service Ontario, I think I will have to pay for the refund no big deal

Back
Top Bottom