Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) | Page 56 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Are you sure a copy is good enough? On the first page it says "original"....Also it says present the vehicle and docs. So you can present the docs(copy) 72 hours prior, and still show up with the bike later and drive through with it as long as they have the docs 72 hours prior?

13% aint bad, the price of the bike is good enough to still make it worth the road trip...

Maybe call that US Customs facility and ask? A fax has been fine for the five bikes i have brought over but that was always through Detroit.

Maybe call that US Customs facility and ask? A fax has been fine for the five bikes i have brought over but that was always through Detroit.

Thanks just did, fax or Email for title is fine they said.....%5 GST must be paid at boarder, $195+HST RIV fee, and some other $100 import fee......The remaining %8 of HST is paid when you register the bike at the ministry in Canada...

Thanks just did, fax or Email for title is fine they said.....%5 GST must be paid at boarder, $195+HST RIV fee, and some other $100 import fee......The remaining %8 of HST is paid when you register the bike at the ministry in Canada...

That $100 extra fee is new. Dislike.

That $100 extra fee is new. Dislike.

I might have misunderstood because she didn't realize I said motorcycle at first, and said 6.1% duty and some air conditioner free. Then I said but its a motorcycle, and she said forget the duty and air conditioner fee....So maybe that fee was only for cars also

I might have misunderstood because she didn't realize I said motorcycle at first, and said 6.1% duty and some air conditioner free. Then I said but its a motorcycle, and she said forget the duty and air conditioner fee....So maybe that fee was only for cars also

Johnny, pretty sure that extra $100 is A/C tax. Check that your new bike doesn't have A/C, and don't pay it! Forget the duty part too.

EDIT: There is a huge post on page 39 describing how someone imported their 1000RR. I followed that post with some changes. My posts are on page 42.

Last edited:
Hi Nikki,

I imported my Harley form the US. The odometer shows readings in miles.

About the part of your post in which you said: "Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)".

Do you mean that when I go to the Canadian Tire inspection they will put this labels inside the odometer unit?

Please advise. Next week I have to go there for my bike's federal inspection.

Thanks,

Nomad

Hi Nikki,

Do you mean that when I go to the Canadian Tire inspection they will put this labels inside the odometer unit?

Nomad

Nope. My odo showed miles too. After a few months I came across a thread that showed me how to change this on my specific bike in the display settings. So the speedo is the same showing miles in big numbers and km's in small, but now the odo reads km's.

Crappy tire inspection takes about 60 seconds and they just inspect, nothing else.

Yes I believe your right.....I think I just changed my mind about driving 20 hours....I talked to a local dealer today, they have a white/black 2012 coming in the 3rd week of Dec, but said if I put a deposit before Friday they can change it to a Green/Black order for me.

Bike in US is 10500 OTD + %13 and RIV is basically $12100, add in about $400-600 in gas and food to get there and back and Im Just under $13000

Dealer in Barrie told me $13193 OTD, with lic plate and 1 year validation sticker

Saving around $500 isnt worth the hassle, Id pay someone that much to go get it for me...LOL

Yes I believe your right.....I think I just changed my mind about driving 20 hours....I talked to a local dealer today, they have a white/black 2012 coming in the 3rd week of Dec, but said if I put a deposit before Friday they can change it to a Green/Black order for me.

Bike in US is 10500 OTD + %13 and RIV is basically $12100, add in about $400-600 in gas and food to get there and back and Im Just under $13000

Dealer in Barrie told me $13193 OTD, with lic plate and 1 year validation sticker

Saving around $500 isnt worth the hassle, Id pay someone that much to go get it for me...LOL

As long as that is out the door (with tax) seems like a no brainer. Some bikes really aren't worth this effort, OTOH some definitely are, so you really have to do your homework before hand.

As long as that is out the door (with tax) seems like a no brainer. Some bikes really aren't worth this effort, OTOH some definitely are, so you really have to do your homework before hand.
Yes $13193 and some change out the door. Dealer showed me their cost price on the bike, and they only make $700 total on this sale.... I drove to Barrie this morning and dropped $7000 cash down, balance of $6193 and change....Bike should be here 3rd week of Dec....1.5 hour there and back drive as apposed to 20 hours to NJ....The no warranty coverage in Canada on a US bike was a factor also, as my 09 ZX6R had a rectifier recall, only $150 part but it was free under warranty.

Thank you "I84toff",
I appreciate your time.
What you are saying I guess your odometer is digital one...on my 2000 model is analog type..

Thank you "I84toff",
I appreciate your time.
What you are saying I guess your odometer is digital one...on my 2000 model is analog type..

Yup digital. Makes sense to put a label on yours if its analog, but regarding that I will defer to someone who has actual experience with as I do not.

Yes $13193 and some change out the door. Dealer showed me their cost price on the bike, and they only make $700 total on this sale.... I drove to Barrie this morning and dropped $7000 cash down, balance of $6193 and change....Bike should be here 3rd week of Dec....1.5 hour there and back drive as apposed to 20 hours to NJ....The no warranty coverage in Canada on a US bike was a factor also, as my 09 ZX6R had a rectifier recall, only $150 part but it was free under warranty.

Sounds like you got a great deal. Not that I have an exact amount that I would look for in savings but I think anything over 1k would make me head south of the border. I had a great experience and got an awesome trip out of it. In your case it seems like a no brainer to stay local. :cool:

Yes yes I guessed.. With the digital is easy to change it back and forth. I will need those stickers in side the odometer.
Will search and see if anybody has the experience..have a nice week so far..Thanks again.

I had helped with the analog odometer bike - there's no problem with it - just counts in miles - that's all. No additional stickers or modifications were required (this was for an older bike).

hey guys,

i'm in the process of importing a bike from the states only to realize that my passport expired :(

i don't want to wait around to get my passport renewed would a drivers license and a citizenship suffice?

cheers,
Kelvin

hey guys,

i'm in the process of importing a bike from the states only to realize that my passport expired :(

i don't want to wait around to get my passport renewed would a drivers license and a citizenship suffice?

cheers,
Kelvin

Just a FYI you can get a passport within 24 hours if needed...There is a small extra fee to rush them at the passport office...

Back
Top Bottom