If my helmet was stolen ... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

If my helmet was stolen ...

I've never owned a bike without a helmet lock,

A few of my late model bikes had helmet hooks under their seats. Hard to find on my Ninja and Hayabusa, but they are there.

What bike does not have a helmet lock?
If someone can locate such a lock on my Honda Rebel 500, I will buy you a beer... or two!

1680491805782.png

It's not stock but this will make it look as close to stock as possible.

Only downside is that it will be a separate key from your ignition key.

EDIT:
Looks like you can use the clips under your seat to clip the helmet into.
Its not a proper lock but will be very difficult to remove it from there once the seat it placed back onto the bike.

HZOANuK.jpg

dsHUoXr.jpg

Last edited:
So all of this gives me a lot to think about, I normally just leave my helmet on my seat a go do whatever I need to do... :unsure:
Never knew there were helmet locks either....

So all of this gives me a lot to think about, I normally just leave my helmet on my seat a go do whatever I need to do... :unsure:
I never leave my helmet on the seat. Too easy for it to get knocked off. Over the handlebars, in a box, cable lock on side of bike, with me or worst case sitting on ground near bike.

I'm sure your bike has some sort of helmet lock.

You don't have a top case on the back, right?

'19 FJR.
'16 CBR650. Two I know of for sure.
What good is a helmet lock with the ratchet system the new helmets use?
I don't think all new helmets have the ratchet system. I could be wrong.

I don't think all new helmets have the ratchet system. I could be wrong.
I bought a new Shoei last summer. Has the ratchet. The handful of new Arai lids that made it to N/A last year were all ratchet too. I didn't get a look at other brands.

My Shoei from 3 years ago also has a ratchet. But these 2 are in the top brands of helmets.
I wonder if any of the mid range brands also have the ratchet.

'19 FJR.
'16 CBR650. Two I know of for sure.
What good is a helmet lock with the ratchet system the new helmets use?
While I was researching the subject, I came around the article that suggested: "...securing your helmet by putting the ratchet end under the seat, then locking the seat in place.". The same article mentioned using a retractable cable pocket lock in case you have a full-face helmet.

My AGV K3 has a standard D-ring chin strap.

When I first started riding, in the stone age, I use to leave my helmet with the bike using the helmet lock on the bike.
Came out from work one day, helmet was gone. They had cut the chin strap. Helmet is now useless, so thinking it was a motorcycle hater.
Quick look in a nearby dumpster, there it was. Rode home, no chin strap. Lucky just side streets, no highways.
Helmet ALWAYS comes with me since then.

I think it goes without saying, if you are worried about your helmet being stolen, bring it with you.
Like some posts above mine, the more common worry is that it is damaged or vandalized by some low budget thugs.

My advice is not to lock your helmet using the D-rings. Thieves can cut the strap and restrap the helmet.

Lost a brand new RF1000 that way. Expensive lesson.

Get a cable lock and loop it through the visor hole.

Had to call my wife and she drove over with her lid. I normally wear a Medium. She wears an XS.

It was both an uncomfortable and angry ride back home....

I never leave my helmet on the seat. Too easy for it to get knocked off. Over the handlebars, in a box, cable lock on side of bike, with me or worst case sitting on ground near bike.
Yeah I've knocked my helmet of the seat myself... :rolleyes:

I'm sure your bike has some sort of helmet lock.

You don't have a top case on the back, right?
I'll have to look, but I doubt it.

I don't always have the tour pak on, just for longer trips. My helmet actually can fit in a saddle bag though, but I don't put it there most of the time.... :rolleyes:

Get a cable lock and loop it through the visor hole.
I am settling on the idea that this is probably the next best solution, after the option to carry it with me. It's not even the price of the helmet (mine is not an expensive one), - it is just the potential inconvenience, a consequence for/impact to my trip, and overall not liking things to be stolen.

Back
Top Bottom