Iditarod | GTAMotorcycle.com

Iditarod

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Nicolas Petit has won the Spirit of Iditarod Award, and is in the lead so far. There's about a week left in the race. :D

Nicolas Petit made the McGrath Checkpoint: https://iditarod.com/eye-on-the-tra...-HtxSXSll6TmcbErgeh_FbSwghjLXwwDJU19-j28SsdzA
Mandatory 24 hour rest break.

IMG_0004-677x451.jpg

What are the mixes in breeds allowed? Do mushers still use Siberians or are they all mixed-breed these days?

Last edited:
What are the mixes in breeds allowed? Do mushers still use Siberians or are they all mixed-breed these days?

I don't think Siberians were ever really the choice for races like the Iditarod, at least not for some time. Siberians are more of a pull strength vs speed. The dogs they use for these races are built more for speed. The Alaskan Huskies are faster than Malamutes and Siberians.

Just read the link above and see I'm not far off... but apparently some still do use them.

Last edited:
are the dogs treated well?
not that I'm a PETA terrorist
but I have a big soft spot for doggos

are the dogs treated well?
not that I'm a PETA terrorist
but I have a big soft spot for doggos

They seemed to be. Although, we were only there for a couple of hours. You'd have to stay year round to find out for sure. There have been allegations about some places.

Nic seems to also have a soft spot for the doggos. Pulling stuff is their favourite thing.

My cousin was on the sled dog circuit for a while ( low tier competitor) , most of the dogs are like family and need to eat like champs to compete like champs, most are very well cared for , you are 'in the public eye' if your dogs attend events and especially if your a top level driver that could run an iditarod.

I'm sure there are exceptions, there always is.

doggos: 1
human: 0

According to Petit, his dogs flew out of Shaktoolik “like a rocket” but, when one of his dogs went to go to the bathroom, another dog “got a hold of him at one point, he jumped on him while he was on the ground.”

Petit then yelled at the older dog to leave the younger dog alone, and that’s when Petit said the other dogs changed.

“Everybody heard daddy yelling. Which doesn’t happen. And then they wouldn’t go anymore. Anywhere,” he said.

Back
Top Bottom