I want to buy an engine … any engine | GTAMotorcycle.com

I want to buy an engine … any engine

NuggyBuggy

Site Supporter
I am pretty much a newbie but have got my project bike ( 1987 CBR600F) running and now am considering learning how to check valves. I have looked at the service manual and the Clymers manual and it seems pretty complicated, too complicated for me to want to try on this bike.

I thought about looking for a cheap engine that I could take apart just to see how things like valves, cams and the like work. I did the same thing with chainsaws when I started using them and it really took the mystery out of them.

Where would one go to look for such an engine at a reasonable price? Salvage yard ? Kijiji? Ideally it would be a DOHC and all working even though I have no expectation of ever having it run. I just want to be able to poke around inside.

I see PA sells this engine: https://www.princessauto.com/en/212cc-ohv-gas-engine-with-electric-start/product/PA0008913188 for $149 , but would it be better to buy an engine with multiple cylinders for my purpose ?

A few $300 beaters on kijiji if you look. Found three but only sharing two.

Weird. I looked myself through all the listings on Kijiji sorting by cheapest first and didn’t find either of those two listings… I need to play with my search parameters I guess, thanks @GVH !

To be honest, I was hoping to spend a lot less on just a motor. For one thing, my garage is already packed to the gills… every time I pull my project out to work, I need to first move dirt bikes, bicycles, mowers, chain saws, etc out onto the lawn, so I don’t have space for another bike. And secondly, this project has cost more than I expected. Some of that is because I didn’t have any of the tools I needed.

So I was hoping to find just a motor for a lot less than a viable project bike. Maybe that is unrealistic?

Last edited:
If you have no expectation of it running, then I have an EX300 engine with a cracked head that you can have for free. When I bought my track bike the seller insisted that I take the spare engine.

Don't worry about multiple cylinders, it's the same process just repeated.

I wouldn't be getting a spare engine for this purpose as every engine is different and procedure doesn't necessarily translate (and if spare can't run, you can't identify if you messed something up when lash changes itself). Also, you can really change the behaviour of an engine by playing with valve lash (even while staying within tolerance) and you can't really tell that from a spare engine (either dead or idling on a bench).

Ash's offer is good if you want something to play with.

A small utility engine like your link may be a nightmare to learn on as many have automatic compression release which can change the static valve lash, give you questionable compression readings, etc. You may have done things properly but the engine is doing things you don't understand so you think you've screwed it up.

If you have no expectation of it running, then I have an EX300 engine with a cracked head that you can have for free. When I bought my track bike the seller insisted that I take the spare engine.
This sounds ripe for some J-B Weld experiments...

PM incoming. Thank you @Ash !

Don't worry about multiple cylinders, it's the same process just repeated.

I wouldn't be getting a spare engine for this purpose as every engine is different and procedure doesn't necessarily translate (and if spare can't run, you can't identify if you messed something up when lash changes itself). Also, you can really change the behaviour of an engine by playing with valve lash (even while staying within tolerance) and you can't really tell that from a spare engine (either dead or idling on a bench).

Ash's offer is good if you want something to play with.

A small utility engine like your link may be a nightmare to learn on as many have automatic compression release which can change the static valve lash, give you questionable compression readings, etc. You may have done things properly but the engine is doing things you don't understand so you think you've screwed it up.
Good points. It did occur to me that it would be best to find some sort of motor for which I could find a service manual to guide me.

I am really just interested in seeing how cams work in relation to valves, what the CCT Does,, etc. I have been studying the Honda Common Service Manual and a few other sources but I think this must just be hard to represent pictorially. I understand how a 2T engine works in a chainsAw, but the 4T combined with multiple cylinders seems incomprehensible to me right now.

Wrenching on this project has given me a whole new world of respect for mechanics.

Last edited:
Good points. It did occur to me that it would be best to find some sort of motor for which I could find a service manual to guide me.

I am really just interested in seeing how cams work in relation to valves, what the CCT Does,, etc. I have been studying the Honda Common Service Manual and a few other sources but I think this must just be hard to represent pictorially. I understand how a 2T engine works in a chainsAw, but the 4T combined with multiple cylinders seems incompressible to me right now.

Wrenching on this project has given me a whole new world of respect for mechanics.
Don't worry at all about multiple cylinders. Just the same thing over and over at a different spot in the cycle at any moment in time. Figure out one cylinder and the rest are just copies (as far as valves go anyway). If you start trying to design intakes or headers and want to tune them so one cylinder helps to get air in or out of another then you need to understand the interactions. Very, very few people head down that road (tons of time invested for little return other than satisfaction on a one off project).

I am pretty much a newbie but have got my project bike ( 1987 CBR600F) running and now am considering learning how to check valves. I have looked at the service manual and the Clymers manual and it seems pretty complicated, too complicated for me to want to try on this bike.

I thought about looking for a cheap engine that I could take apart just to see how things like valves, cams and the like work. I did the same thing with chainsaws when I started using them and it really took the mystery out of them.

Where would one go to look for such an engine at a reasonable price? Salvage yard ? Kijiji? Ideally it would be a DOHC and all working even though I have no expectation of ever having it run. I just want to be able to poke around inside.

I see PA sells this engine: https://www.princessauto.com/en/212cc-ohv-gas-engine-with-electric-start/product/PA0008913188 for $149 , but would it be better to buy an engine with multiple cylinders for my purpose ?
Honestly? You need a knowledgeable friend to supervise you checking and adjusting the valves on your '87 hurricane.

Drink your beer, stand over you, and make sure you don't f-it up.

Invest in a shim kit, torque wrench, assembly lube (for the cam journals on reassembly),and a magnetic pickup tool (for the buckets and shims).

Take your time. Read the shop manual. Watch lots of YouTube videos.

If you could find another 600f engine, at least that would make sense. You could check the parts for wear as you disassemble, and put them in ziploc bags and Rubbermaid tubs. If you plan on keeping that bike long term, you can't go wrong with spares.
Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom