Hyosung GT250R custom engine | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hyosung GT250R custom engine

and it’s not cheap to insure

Well, assuming you don't lie to the insurance company.

A 27 year old 250hp car is going to be easy to insure. A 27 year old highly modified car with 850HP, not so much.

If you believe these guys the VIN plate alone is worth almost 200US$
:ROFLMAO:

And it's not even a useful VIN since it's branded.

I've no idea what the goal could possibly be here.

I new a guy back in the early 2000’s bought a new Honda civic with an inheritance at 21 years old
he bought the civic with 75% down because it was cheaper to insure than a Mustang gt. He proceeded to lower and turbocharged the car without telling his insurance company.
the car was less than a year old when he put it in the ditch and wrecked it.
his insurance company walked away due to misrepresentation
he still had to make the remainder of the finance payments
he had a very had time getting insurance due to misrepresentation on his file
he also was sued for damages to the hydro pole and the property damages

bottom line if your hiding something from them you might as well just ride dirty

Im 43 and still pay a crap ton for insurance.
I used to pay because I was young now it’s my particular flavour of toys.
I was excited this year my 1190 adv is only $1500 a year
The car is about $900 on a collector policy that has a ton of stipulations and rules

Last edited:
And it's not even a useful VIN since it's branded.

I've no idea what the goal could possibly be here.
I assume the goal is to do the same thing the OP wants to do,
but in a very relaxed jurisdiction where people pay almost nothing to insure a motorcycle or two and more die from hand guns then anything else.

Hope you never actually need that insurance because if the payout is sizeable they'll retroactively cancel your policy in about 2 seconds when they find out you misrepresented the policy by "forgetting" to tell them you jammed a bigger engine in the bike and they weren't actually insuring what you told them they were insuring.
If I crash the bike I will repair it myself. I plan to keep this gt250r so when insurance becomes cheaper I will tell them about the engine swap. So for the 2 years I would stay away from main roads at all times

So you suggest I keep paying their high fee? I can barely afford to put gas in this thing lol
Nobody is happy with the price of insurance in Ontario. I suggest you ride what you can afford to ride. For some people that means no bike for a while, for others it means spending a few years on a small cc bike before buying something fast.

Why not get a Ninja 250 for the street, pay $150/mo for insurance for 4 years, learn how to ride then get get the bigger bike when you age and experience deliver decent insurance discounts?

If you're hellbent on going fast, keep the 600 and take it to the track. Should be about the same cost and you have the best of both worlds -- safer and cheaper for the street, wild and crazy on the track for cheep too.

By the way when you get insurance you will be asked about modifications to the bike - if you lie and ever have a claim you in double trouble. First they may not pay out the claim due to insurance fraud, then getting tagged for ins fraud puts all your insurance cost up - wanna pay $1000/mo tio insure a Yaris? Is it worth the risk?
I did have a Ninja 250 you see my username? It's the reason my insurance is so high someone brake checked me on Hurontario road by the drive test centre (ironic right?). My bike still ran but needed alot of TLC. By the time I repaired anything my parents suggested I get a newer bike because they felt safer that way. I'm never gonna listen to them again lol, because I didn't realise how high it would jump in cost of ownership. I even have a loan to pay off for it so I couldn't turn back. You live and learn I guess?

Well, assuming you don't lie to the insurance company.

A 27 year old 250hp car is going to be easy to insure. A 27 year old highly modified car with 850HP, not so much.
My 2010 Hyundai elantra barely makes 110hp and it cost me $440/mo to own and I have zero accidents.... I hate ontario

If I crash the bike I will repair it myself. I plan to keep this gt250r so when insurance becomes cheaper I will tell them about the engine swap. So for the 2 years I would stay away from main roads at all times

The bike is not the issue. It not worth anything.
if it’s a light crash that’s fine. But say you go down and mess yourself up or worse someone else. It’s the personal injury that costs big bucks.
if your not going to tell them what they are insuring then you don’t have insurance.
So just don’t have any insurance and save all the money.

Or just ride it as a 250 whats so wrong with that?
My neighbour has been riding a Honda cbr 250 for 4 years because it’s cheap on fuel and insurance. I’ve taken it for a ride and it’s a fun little bike.

I new a guy back in the early 2000’s bought a new Honda civic with an inheritance at 21 years old
he bought the civic with 75% down because it was cheaper to insure than a Mustang gt. He proceeded to lower and turbocharged the car without telling his insurance company.
the car was less than a year old when he put it in the ditch and wrecked it.
his insurance company walked away due to misrepresentation
he still had to make the remainder of the finance payments
he had a very had time getting insurance due to misrepresentation on his file
he also was sued for damages to the hydro pole and the property damages

bottom line if your hiding something from them you might as well just ride dirty

Im 43 and still pay a crap ton for insurance.
I used to pay because I was young now it’s my particular flavour of toys.
I was excited this year my 1190 adv is only $1500 a year
The car is about $900 on a collector policy that has a ton of stipulations and rules
Oh wow sorry to hear that. I did only plan to ride it for 2 years then tell them about the engine swap. I would stay away from main roads and I won't even go on the highway unless absolutely necessary. I just can't afford the high insurance anymore. I will own up to it if anything happens.

My 2010 Hyundai elantra barely makes 110hp and it cost me $440/mo to own and I have zero accidents.... I hate ontario

We were all young once
Pay your dues keep a clean record and prove to be low risk.
Don't do stupid **** like get caught miss representing, stunting, speeding, dui,
all of these will keep you hi risk.
I had an employee that rented a new car because it was cheaper than insuring a 2000 civic in his own name. He was quoted $12000 a year because stupid stuff he did.

You are good right up until the insurance person says 'have any modifications been made to the motorcycle?' then you are completely euchred.

"It's very annoying because the adjuster who showed up knows nothing about bikes and he didn't even repair my mirror since I kept telling him it shakes violently at highway speeds since the drop." :unsure: are you serious? you want your insurance company to fix the vibration in your mirror!
Yes at high speeds (110kph to 120kph) it vibrates violently. Vs when I just got it. So yeah someone backing into my bike did end up damaging the spring inside the mirror. I would have to pay over $60 to replace that mirror that should be part of the claims.

Thank you for a very entertaining read. I needed that.
Another thing to remember is with great power comes great responsibility.
No wait
Another thing to remember is with power you will need handling and braking to match or its all for nothing. Putting a 750cc engine in a bike that lets face it wasn’t great when it had a 250 is just going to create a fast death trap.
I know this all to well as I own a car that weighs 2100lbs and has 500hp/450lbs.
It has standard steering/ standard brakes and is the epitome of you should never build or meet your hero’s. I could go much faster with less power in today’s factory produced cars for less money.

Another aspect of going fast is skill. You can’t go fast for long without it.
I once modified my race atv more than doubling my investment only to find out my skill was the limiting factor. That said some people never learn, my current ride is well out of my skill set also. Maybe I need a ninja 250 after all.
I plan to put steel lines on the front. And I seen some forums about Brembo brakes on their GT650r motorcycles. Also the suspension has to be adjusted to fit the motor anyways since it set soft for the weight of the 250 motor.

Yes at high speeds (110kph to 120kph) it vibrates violently. Vs when I just got it. So yeah someone backing into my bike did end up damaging the spring inside the mirror. I would have to pay over $60 to replace that mirror that should be part of the claims.
Holy if you just need a new mirror, anybody who has been riding forever will have a large collection of brand new mirrors they could throw you for free or next to it.

I plan to put steal lines on the front. And I seen some forums about Brembo brakes on their GT650r motorcycles. Also the suspension has to be adjusted to fit the motor anyways since it set soft for the weight of the 250 motor.
How old are you? Many old and wise people are providing you very good information. You are persisting on following a path that can literally ruin the rest of your life financially for two years of more fun now (you can have fun without the financial risk, just not at the power you are looking for).

I plan to put steal lines on the front. And I seen some forums about Brembo brakes on their GT650r motorcycles. Also the suspension has to be adjusted to fit the motor anyways since it set soft for the weight of the 250 motor.
It's not the make that is better, they are likely stepping up a generation or two in brake technology. I would think make the frame best it can be and replace the rear shock/spring completely.

Steel braid brake lines is a good upgrade (y) if they are good.

Or just ride it as a 250 whats so wrong with that?
My neighbour has been riding a Honda cbr 250 for 4 years because it’s cheap on fuel and insurance. I’ve taken it for a ride and it’s a fun little bike.

a wise and practical person. and with a riders smile on a good reliable bike...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom