Hwy 407 question. | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hwy 407 question.

407 is 150km-ish long
40-50 cents per klick...

I'm going with the fine thank you route - no points

I ride from Ajax to Oakville it is not an insignificant amount of money.
They should make it free for motorcycles just like they did the HOV lanes.

No plate is $85.
Obstruct plate $85
Etc.

I do one run from far east to far west in a day and we are looking at about the same cost.
Yeah, not that simple. In the past they have staked out fare dodgers with a predictable time of entry and given them a bill that assumes your commute used the 407 every day since you lived at your current address and worked at your current job. It then becomes your problem to disprove it and get it removed (good luck with that). You can't renew your license until you pay up. They can also add a $50 charge to every trip they say you took for unreadable plate. Again, this isn't court, you are guilty unless you can somehow prove your innocence.

Here's to being unpredictable...
I'm retired and don't travel to work - just to play at all different times.

Going to try and see, if I get a charge etc. I will post the damage.

Wish me luck!

Weeee - see you out there!

Attachments

• GinnySm2022.JPG
    GinnySm2022.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 51
Here's to being unpredictable...
I'm retired and don't travel to work - just to play at all different times.

Going to try and see, if I get a charge etc. I will post the damage.

Wish me luck!

Weeee - see you out there!
I don't blame you at all for ripping off the scam that is the 407. It was owned by the people, it never should have been sold.

Sent from my K83CA using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Has anyone on a dual-sport/supermoto ever go around the lit gantrys with the cameras and lights?

Trick question: those that ride the 407 au gratis! :)
Don't know if this question was ever answered but the west end 407 cameras were modified a few years ago to catch all angles of the tarmac such that we couldn't crawl along the side walls anymore to avoid the pic. It was great while it lasted tho....

Tolls that are are ~$0.01 a mile are a whole different world than >$0.50 per km. I don't like the stop to flip a quarter stupidity of US tolls but I have no issues with highways being tolled at US rates.

Fair point.

I would think that if the 407 was used as much as a normal highway the tolls would be normal as well. The American toll system must have been calculated for the amount of users. If that's the case with the 407 than the tolls per user are about correct. But I've been known to not think straight.

I would think that if the 407 was used as much as a normal highway the tolls would be normal as well. The American toll system must have been calculated for the amount of users. If that's the case with the 407 than the tolls per user are about correct. But I've been known to not think straight.
The last time I saw numbers, ~100-150k vehicles were using the 407 on an average day. You are saying a typical US highway has 5M+ vehicles per day? Hint, not even close, 401 is ~400k per day and not many highways in the continent are busier.

No but if most of the major highways here were toll then the price would be less. Don't get me wrong I certainly do not use the 407 and the whole deal of how it was built and where we are now turns my stomach. But there must be a reason why they charge so much. Greed is probably part of it just like most other business in a capitalistic society. Cell providers, insurance companies etc.....

No but if most of the major highways here were toll then the price would be less. Don't get me wrong I certainly do not use the 407 and the whole deal of how it was built and where we are now turns my stomach. But there must be a reason why they charge so much. Greed is probably part of it just like most other business in a capitalistic society. Cell providers, insurance companies etc.....
Greed is all of it. It is priced to enrich owners. They could care less about how many people use it as long as profit curve is maximized. The price has nothing to do with cost recovery.

Here is my take on 407 pricing. It is based on observation only.

There is an optimum amount of cars that they would like to see using the 407. If you have too many cars, maintenance costs and wear and tear on the road go up. Also the road starts to slow down.

At this point, they raise prices to bring the number of cars back to optimum levels.

How much does it cost to make an Iphone? Why is it priced where it is?

Back
Top Bottom