HWK Riding Gear | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HWK Riding Gear

How much, and what kind of armour comes with the hwk gear? My Klim suit is in the washing machine tonite so i pulled all the D30 out of it.

Attachments

• 20221216_200738.jpg
    20221216_200738.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 12
How much, and what kind of armour comes with the hwk gear? My Klim suit is in the washing machine tonite so i pulled all the D30 out of it.
The armour in the HWK is not very good. A friend ordered the jacket but changed the armour
as "you" said, you get what you pay for. :)

I've seen two people go down in little low side falls wearing Joe Rocket mesh jackets. Cheese cloth provides more protection.

I’ve gone for a few slides and always walked away completely unhurt because of quality gear. I rashed up my Klim Latitude jacket and pants in one 80km/hr slide that both had to be replaced. They might cost $1k, but as they say… walking away in disgust is better than not walking away.

My personal preference is to always buy the best gear I can afford. Armour can be upgraded to help with impact, but if the stitching is crap it will disintegrate in a slide.

FWIW - local to Ontario rider after two years seasonal riding
- my comments are after 18 months of continous use 2-3 times a week 3-6 hours of riding each ride.

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at Dec, 31    2022    5.01.03 PM.jpg

Jacket -
this is what I have but in white. - you can see the shoulder zippers...there is another set around the back. Fitment to me is excellent with multiple points of adjustment.
71XZMSheP1L._AC_SL1280_.jpg

I sort of discount his comments on the waterproofing as of course if a jacket is not done up correctly it will let water in. I have a Joe Rocket waterproof breathable inner liner which is excellent but really for my use it's immaterial.
Also the shoulder vent zippers are stiff as they are waterproof zippers.... :rolleyes:
My Honda jacket vent zippers were also hard to use when riding ....not much in that.
He did not mention the airflow which is just superb ( there are four airflow zippers on the shoulders and with the cuffs open ....it simply keeps you cool even in the mid 30s.
The jacket I would buy again but see no need to. I may up the armour to CE2 ...but in general money well spent,
It certainly is not waterproof the way my Scott 3 season was riding in BC but then it costs 20% of the cost of the Scott and served me well plus it is WAY cooler. I expect the jacket may see out my riding career .....I do have my way old original Joe Rocket mesh made to an whole better standard and sizing difference tho frankly the airflow on the HWK is better despite being ballistic.
I put on the JR from time to time just for a change as the shortly style I like and I can stuff it in the top case tho rarely see a need.

Pants - somewhat different story.
81QxJ5hd7zL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I am not satisfied with these- I'll be putting in a warranty claim on them.
Problems with them even with half the wear time. I'll let you know how that turns out. Sure miss my AirGlide 3.

These however - aside from a fastner issue I fixed myself they have held up well, are very cool for riding and
even for walking.
81gGX1AQK4L._AC_SX679_.jpg

When I got them I knew I was buying slightly undersize but have since lost a bit of weight and today they were spot on for fit and were very cool.
They do not appear to be available from HWK anymore.

Oddly enough tho....the actual design is very close to the Rev-it Airwave 3

REV'IT! Airwave 3 Silver Short Leg Textile
REV'IT! Airwave 3 Pants | Summer Mesh Motorcycle Pants

I treated myself today to pair of these, on sale at $279 shipped, I'm impressed with REVit after watching Itchy Boots and and available in white to match my jacket but more for the lower heat uptake.
Tropical sun is brutal.
They have the same style of fitment as the HWK and I could purchase exactly to my size/leg length.
It will be interesting to compare the HWK which I bought for $37 Aus all in shipped.....and which have held up well except for one of the two front fasteners....to the $279 Rev-it.

After looking at the problem with the heavier HWK pants I examined the light weight ones and they definitely seem made to a higher standard but HWK discontinued them ....dunno why.

Rev'it is normally out of my price range but several things conspired to get me to buy. We'll see when they come it. 🍿

Last edited:
It will be interesting to compare the HWK which I bought for $37 Aus all in shipped.....and which have held up well except for one of the two front fasteners....to the $279 Rev-it.

I think your true test is going to be if you go down. How will a pair of $37 pants hold up? I'm not willing to try that, I would trust the Rev-it more.

FWIW - local to Ontario rider after two years seasonal riding
- my comments are after 18 months of continous use 2-3 times a week 3-6 hours of riding each ride.

I’ve never witnessed someone waxing their zipper.
Sounds like a technique used on a Sudbury Saturday night!

Oh, and stop calling it a coat! It’s a jacket.
This is a coat.

View attachment 58940

Last edited:
I wax or put lanolin on my boot zippers.
•••
To a point the base materials are the same. Dupont 500 or 600 denier nylon mesh - a few using 1000

but I am after cool fabric and after going on 60 years of riding with no mishaps on pavement ( lots off pavement ) I'm dressing for comfort and value for money tho I do protect my knees above all else.

And I am NOT of the opinion that you always get what you pay for.
I was impressed with Rev'its design centre in Netherlands ....some goods are made in Country Of Origin (Made In), Made In United Arab Emirates ; Country Of Design, Designed In Netherlands ; Warranty, One year warranty against manufacturers defects.
Some in Romania. ( the boots ).
They are a global company with a wide variety of sources and source is no guarantee of quality or lack of either.

HWK is a US based company building a brand based on value for money and sourcing in Pakistan.
The jackets are a winner imnsho, the heavier pants not, the lighter pants yes and easy to up the armor level.

Fit and comfort top notch.
They are direct to consumer ( via Amazon), easy return policy and long warranty which I will put to the test.

I wax or put lanolin on my boot zippers.
•••
To a point the base materials are the same. Dupont 500 or 600 denier nylon mesh - a few using 1000

but I am after cool fabric and after going on 60 years of riding with no mishaps on pavement ( lots off pavement ) I'm dressing for comfort and value for money tho I do protect my knees above all else.

And I am NOT of the opinion that you always get what you pay for.

Some in Romania. ( the boots ).
They are a global company with a wide variety of sources and source is no guarantee of quality or lack of either.

HWK is a US based company building a brand based on value for money and sourcing in Pakistan.
The jackets are a winner imnsho, the heavier pants not, the lighter pants yes and easy to up the armor level.

Fit and comfort top notch.
They are direct to consumer ( via Amazon), easy return policy and long warranty which I will put to the test.
I've seen the review on youtube you posted, My pants that i have HWK don't have a waterproof liner in them. It's got mesh only wondering how hot they will be in the summer

What pants do you have? AFAIK the REISSA liner is fixed inside the pants.
I don't post on youtube.

I was referencing the YT channel you posted

Last edited:
Just bought a pair but not for riding...for work. The title on Amazon is "HWK Motorcycle Pants Cargo Pants Work Pants". I prefer Helley Hansons with the knee pad pockets. They go through a lot abuse and last a while but at $180 (regular price), not replaced easily. I figured these have knee pads and even hip pads (for that occasional but maybe now more often hip check to move something) and at $45 I can get 4 for the price of one pair of HH. I kind of like the liner too, might be handy when it gets colder as well as the adjustable waist (for thicker layers tucked when cold).

A couple of different colours would have been nice but, hey, $45!!!. Dont really care about them getting dirty, may make them look a little better. I will update as to their ability to hold up to abuse at work (and regular washings) if anybody cares.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom