How You Guys Charge Your Phones On Your Bikes? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How You Guys Charge Your Phones On Your Bikes?

I used this for 2 years https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-PD3U
Felt more secure than the X-grip but new phones got too big for it. X-Grip holds my phones pretty damn secure.
Been using an X-grip on my phone for 3+ years on a naked bike with no fairings or windshield blocking the phone.
Hit potholes, been on gravel roads.
Not sure why mines fine and others have been losing their phones, maybe the larger phone fits more snugly.

I should have mentioned, I use my X-Grip in landscape mode since that's the way I like to view my maps when navigating.

In portrait mode I can certainly see how the 4 arm version could lose phones as they would slowly work their way down.

In landscape the little rubber feet are at the top and bottom vs the sides, so it's far more secure.

Killvino, if you're interested in selling that mount now that your current phone doesn't fit, let me know. I've looked at those before. I've been thinking about switching to a portrait mode mount because my iPhone 11 doesn't rotate into portrait mode for a lot of stuff like the older iPhones used to do...so when I get home from a ride and want to open the garage doors (needs an app) or I want to run a different app when stopped in a parking lot but the phone is still mounted (for example) I have to crane my head sideways all the time.

I know this isn't what everyone's talking about but I just use one of those little portable battery packs for charging phones. It fits in my pocket and I can use it away from the bike. Cost around $20-30. It'll do 4-5 full charges before it needs to be charged itself.

Same, mine is about the size of a pack of smokes and I'll get 3 full charges out of it. I keep it in the tray under my seat.
I know this isn't what everyone's talking about but I just use one of those little portable battery packs for charging phones. It fits in my pocket and I can use it away from the bike. Cost around $20-30. It'll do 4-5 full charges before it needs to be charged itself.

I have one of those USB aux plugs, that I connect the wire to. Phone stays in front windshield pocket, I don't use it for GPS though.

Amazon 4-arm knockoff X-Mount here. 75,000km or so on it and phone has never fell out, and I don't use the secondary rubber thing either.

You need to make sure your phone is mounted properly in it however, set fully in against the backstop. A few times I put the phone in there too quickly and it slowly worked it's way into a situation where it may have eventually fell out - always notice it in time as the angle changes and the screen gets hard to see.

As for charging....Amazon 2 port 3 Amp wired USB plug mounted on the handlebars and wired to the switched cigarette lighter wiring in the front fairing. 3" long USB to lightening plug to keep the wiring neat and tidy.

I have to use those secondary rubber things on my 6-arm phone holder, when I'm going faster than 90 km/h the phone looks like its about to fly off, the reason being that I had to bend one of the arms because it rested on top of the on/off power button and turned my phone off, so I bent the arm outwards so that one doesn't touch my phone.

As for charging I wired and installed the set up I ordered from Amazon, it was easy, I tested it last weekend. My phone was at 6% charge and in 80 mins it was up to 96%, even with the bike turned off for 15 mins. Even if it didn't charged it but never let it die it would still be worth it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom