How to handle frame with docs? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to handle frame with docs?

BEEF_STOO

Hi, new guy here.

I bought a frame overseas. I have a commercial invoice, clean/clear title in foreign language, with English translation. I also already have laying around a spare engine which is the right engine for this model frame (which is a make and model previously sold in the US and Canada). If I was to continue this as a simple restoration project - put on whatever rest of OE parts I have around and hunt down the rest - would I be able to get this registered for the road as any other bike?

I've read some posts and other info regarding different scenarios on the frame - if it's been 'branded' (apparently only other possible designation other than 'clear'), it can't be registered for the road; if no title, affadavit process can eventually get a title. But my situation doesn't really follow either of these - I have a title and it hasn't been branded in any way. I couldn't find any local info online addressing a situation similar to mine, so now I just wanted to ask if anyone has anything to offer.

Couple people told me it's just a restoration project - I have the papers, complete the restoration, get it safetied, register at DMV. Someone told me I should register the frame at the DMV even before I do the restoration, to at least have the title in my name already. Another said I could register the frame beforehand as 'unfit' (or unplated?) then do the restoration, get it saftied, then have the status changed to 'fit'. Don't think I've ever heard of fit/unfit where I'm from, so I'm not sure, but think it's registering before a safety is done.

Anyone have anything concrete I can go on? - That is, before I go to the DMV where I expect the clerk to just stare blankly at me about what to do when I explain the situation.

Hi, new guy here.

I bought a frame overseas. I have a commercial invoice, clean/clear title in foreign language, with English translation. I also already have laying around a spare engine which is the right engine for this model frame (which is a make and model previously sold in the US and Canada). If I was to continue this as a simple restoration project - put on whatever rest of OE parts I have around and hunt down the rest - would I be able to get this registered for the road as any other bike?

I've read some posts and other info regarding different scenarios on the frame - if it's been 'branded' (apparently only other possible designation other than 'clear'), it can't be registered for the road; if no title, affadavit process can eventually get a title. But my situation doesn't really follow either of these - I have a title and it hasn't been branded in any way. I couldn't find any local info online addressing a situation similar to mine, so now I just wanted to ask if anyone has anything to offer.

Couple people told me it's just a restoration project - I have the papers, complete the restoration, get it safetied, register at DMV. Someone told me I should register the frame at the DMV even before I do the restoration, to at least have the title in my name already. Another said I could register the frame beforehand as 'unfit' (or unplated?) then do the restoration, get it saftied, then have the status changed to 'fit'. Don't think I've ever heard of fit/unfit where I'm from, so I'm not sure, but think it's registering before a safety is done.

Anyone have anything concrete I can go on? - That is, before I go to the DMV where I expect the clerk to just stare blankly at me about what to do when I explain the situation.

We don't have DMV. Where are you trying to register this bike? How old is it? You are basically importing a bike but didn't follow the process as there are required steps before the bike arrives in Canada. I suspect you have something that can never be registered in Ontario at this point but hopefully I am wrong. Can it make a good track bike?

What year is it? Over 15 years old it’s doable and fairly easy. Newer then that from overseas is going to be almost impossible.

The Registar of Imported vehicles is who you will want to contact.

We don't have DMV. Where are you trying to register this bike? How old is it? You are basically importing a bike but didn't follow the process as there are required steps before the bike arrives in Canada. I suspect you have something that can never be registered in Ontario at this point but hopefully I am wrong. Can it make a good track bike?
I know, just meant DMV in the general sense. Was hoping to register in Toronto. It's a MY 2000.
Yes, would make a decent track bike - certainly fun, but at 22 years old, not as quick and agile as today's bikes.

What year is it? Over 15 years old it’s doable and fairly easy. Newer then that from overseas is going to be almost impossible.

The Registar of Imported vehicles is who you will want to contact.
Yeah, MY 2000, so >15 years. I'm aware of the 15 year exemption rule and import process. I'm from DC and imported one of my bikes from there to Ontario. Actually, the bike I imported and have here now is the exact same model I'm hoping to restore with this frame. If it was a complete imported bike, I'd know what to do. But in this case with just a frame, I'm not sure how it would go.

Regarding the importing of the frame, I had contacted CBSA and they said they didn't care - they only care about importation of complete vehicles and said the frame was just considered a part and no problem importing.

I know, just meant DMV in the general sense. Was hoping to register in Toronto. It's a MY 2000.
Yes, would make a decent track bike - certainly fun, but at 22 years old, not as quick and agile as today's bikes.

Yeah, MY 2000, so >15 years. I'm aware of the 15 year exemption rule and import process. I'm from DC and imported one of my bikes from there to Ontario. Actually, the bike I imported and have here now is the exact same model I'm hoping to restore with this frame. If it was a complete imported bike, I'd know what to do. But in this case with just a frame, I'm not sure how it would go.

Regarding the importing of the frame, I had contacted CBSA and they said they didn't care - they only care about importation of complete vehicles and said the frame was just considered a part and no problem importing.
DC, DC? I lived in McLean, VA for a time.

DC, DC? I lived in McLean, VA for a time.
Ya, Georgetown area. Still have my place there for work. But before that I lived across the river in the Arlington area, so just next to where you were. When I had to start traveling for work, downsized to a place in the metro area.

Ya, Georgetown area. Still have my place there for work. But before that I lived across the river in the Arlington area, so just next to where you were. When I had to start traveling for work, downsized to a place in the metro area.
Sweet!

Regarding the importing of the frame, I had contacted CBSA and they said they didn't care - they only care about importation of complete vehicles and said the frame was just considered a part and no problem importing
Okay. I would contact the CBSA again and ask them if they will allow you to import it on a Form 1 as a vehicle or if they will force you to import it as parts on Form 3.

If they won’t give you a Form 1 then you will likely have to build the bike up first. If they won’t contact a custom broker to see what they can do.

Assuming you can get a Form 1 you would take that, the title and invoice/bill of sale to the MTO and register it as unfit for now. Once you have it built then go get a safety to transfer it to “fit” and insurance to get a plate.

So I found your thread and I am in the same boat. I want to import a frame from Europe for an old Ducati.

What ended up happening with your project? Road worthy?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom