How to drain gas tank without making a mess? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to drain gas tank without making a mess?

Siphon out the gas and refill with fresh. Once warmed up, a nice highway run should clean everything up.

Theory: If there was ethanol in the gas, it may have separated out and dropped to the bottom. Any water (builds up from condensation every day/night), it would mix with the ethanol, and you have a really crappy solution at the bottom of the tank, not just stale gas.

Thanks, I will try that....

I'm hoping me from last year put in Shell 91 (I normally only use Shell 91, but i don't rmb what the last fill up used.)

If you plan on disconnecting any of the fuel line(s), be aware that the pressurized fuel could spray all over the place. So wrap a rag around the end of the hose before you do. If your engine was in running condition you could remove the fuel pump fuse, start the motor, and idle it until it burns off all the fuel in the line. Since it won't start, best you can do is run the starter a few times to bleed a bit of the pressure.

Didn't get a chance to go down to the spark plugs but did drain the tank.

If anyone could give input on what this sounds like, it'd be greatly appreciated. I won't get a chance to work on bike until next Saturday:

Grab some jumper cables and hook it up to a car battery (but don’t start the car).

Hmmm, I see you said you tried it but that really sounds like a dead battery. Either that or your starter is dying. The other possibility is if there is a decompression system like on the SXV’s that’s failed, but I doubt it.

Grab some jumper cables and hook it up to a car battery (but don’t start the car).

I did with the car too. The battery read 12.8v (fresh off charger.)

Doesn't help that I know there's fouled gas in the plugs...lol

Post that on apriliaforum and someone should be able to tell you exactly what it is. So you're holding the starter button and it cranks a couple times then you hear clicking? That shouldn't have anything to do with the quality of your gas (although you may still have bad gas). I'm not familiar with the Tuono, but this is exactly what my Ducati sounds like with a bad battery. The clicking usually comes from the starter solenoid because there isn't enough current to pass through it to complete the circuit. If you've connected a known good battery, then it may be a wiring issue. Look for a loose or corroded connection to the battery or one of your grounding points on the frame or motor, and you might as well check the connection to the starter itself while you're at it. Can you tell where the clicking is coming from?

How old is the gas? Even with 6 month old it should fire. It does sound like a weak batt to me too.

Late last August, so 9 months lol

I admittedly don't know batteries very well, is it possible for a battery to measure 12.8v and fail to start a bike?

Definitely electrical. If it's not the battery, it might be the starter.

Thanks.

Take the battery to a shop to do a load test. Basically see what the voltage drops down to once you put a load on it.

I’d maybe start looking for a ground that’s not great. Like mentioned old gas has no effect on the bike not cranking. If it just sat there cranking but no start then yes you start to look at gas and spark.

I admittedly don't know batteries very well, is it possible for a battery to measure 12.8v and fail to start a bike?

If you just took it off the charger, there is a surface charge that will give you a false elevated voltage.

Surface charge goes away if you place load on the battery or leave it untouched for 6-12 hours.

If you have a voltmeter, set it to DC and watch it as you hold the starter. It should not be below 10 or 11 if it’s good (can’t remember exactly, but if it goes really low to 6v, the battery is bad). If you don’t, and depending on where you’re located, I might be able to drop by with mine.

Last edited:
If you just took it off the charger, there is a surface charge that will give you a false elevated voltage.

Surface charge goes away if you place load on the battery or leave it untouched for 6-12 hours.

What about the fact that I boosted from a car too? Not being rude or anything, just want to understand so I don't make the same mistakes in the future.

If you have a voltmeter, set it to DC and watch it as you hold the starter. It should be below 10 or 11 if it’s good (can’t remember exactly, but I’d it goes really low to 6v, the battery is bad). If you don’t, and depending on where you’re located, I might be able to drop by with mine.

Noted, looks like I'll test more this weekend before buying random **** I don't need. And thank you for the offer; I'm good on tools though!

Cool. So if you have a meter you can systematically trace where the voltage drops from battery to starter relay, from starter relay to starter. If you’re not losing voltage in the wiring, then It could be the starter.

By the way, 12.8v sounds low for a freshly charged 12v battery. Again I don’t remember all the values but pretty sure it should be above 13. Also, jump starting can fail if your battery is in really bad shape. I don’t remember the reason, but my car battery was at the end of its life and one day of February it wouldn’t start. A coworker tried to jump start with his car but all we got was clicking. We called CAA and they couldn’t start it either so they towed it home. At that point I was wondering if the anti theft somehow got triggered but once home I put it on my wheeled charger at 20 amps for about 10 minutes, then switched to 200 amp jump start and she fired right up.

Back
Top Bottom