How to drain gas tank without making a mess? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to drain gas tank without making a mess?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Seems like a dumb question...but I didn't grow up screwing with bikes lol

I need to drain the gas out of my bike. Easiest way is to lift gas tank, pull hose, and make a glorious mess that I might as well set on fire after to clean up.

Is there a not-as-stupid-way?

I need to drain the gas out of my bike. Easiest way is to lift gas tank, pull hose, and make a glorious mess that I might as well set on fire after to clean up.

Siphon as much fuel out of it as you can. Then put cap back on, pull fuel line and pump wire.
You will get a tiny amount of fuel when you pull the line...but make sure cap is on.
Then pull tank off the bike and place it over a large pail...we use empty 5 gallon paint pail... do your work over the pail..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Siphon as much fuel out of it as you can. Then put cap back on, pull fuel line and pump wire.
You will get a tiny amount of fuel when you pull the line...but make sure cap is on.
Then pull tank off the bike and place it over a large pail...we use empty 5 gallon paint pail... do your work over the pail..

I knew there had to be a less stupid way lol

I guess I can find a siphon at Canadian Tire?
EDIT: Missed the post above. Will check walmart too

Last edited:

Is it fuel injected?
... remove the return fuel line, aim it into a bucket and turn on the fuel pump :| that put's it out of there in a hurry.

2 ways

1) Siphon using a 1/4" clear tubing (no special siphon needed. If you get gas in your mouth, don't swallow.) The smaller tubes get further into the tank
2) Pinch off the gas line using a cloth and vice grips. You can leave it pinched until you return the tank to the bike.

They sell ones like this at Canadian Tire... somewhere around $10... they are good for a few usesCar-Manual-Siphon-Pump-Portable-Gas-Oil-Water-Liquid-Transfer-Pump-White-Red_600x600.jpg

Tubing and an air compressor. Stick the tube into the tank to the bottom. Blow air across the free end to start the suction(might have to cut the end at an angle and blow air across the opening away from the hose in the direction you want the flow), let gravity do it's thing. Empty tank in short order. I hold the free end just in the opening of an empty jerry can.

Another dumb ass question:

The gas in the tank is bad. I know the plugs might be fouled and will go down to clean them if necessary. Is it worth it to drain gas tank, then fill with fresh gas, and see if it works before going down into the plugs?

(I also frankly have no idea what the **** I am doing lol but might as well learn since I'll be back on track in a few years and will be crashing lots then =D )

Change out the plugs, while you have the tank off.

So not worth it at all to drain first, refill, then try? :(

Yes, it's worth an attempt to siphon out the old and refill with fresh. Take out for a high speed run (let it get up to temp first).

Up to you...I dont know what type of bike you have ... for the price of the plugs it may be worth it to do, while you have the tank off

Up to you...I dont know what type of bike you have ... for the price of the plugs it may be worth it to do, while you have the tank off

RSV1000R

I guess I'll try siphoning out, not removing the tank, throwing fresh gas in, wait a bit, then try starting it. If not, siphon all the gas back out, remove tank, and make a mess.

You asked about draining gas and got lots of advice. I'm sure we're all curious as to what problem you are encountering. Crank, no-start?

You asked about draining gas and got lots of advice. I'm sure we're all curious as to what problem you are encountering. Crank, no-start?

The RSV1000R shat itself last season. I found out it's a dead battery; I was riding it around once a week. Also CAA wrecked my front fender, and I'm hoping they didn't **** the forks (they pulled down directly side ways on the fork, I know this is a horrible idea as I've strapped bikes down myself for track days.)

Due to me being piss high out of my mind constantly (not while riding!), resulting in me not giving a ****, I stored it away without treating the fuel like a ******* moron. Bike won't start now due to, obviously bad fuel (it smells off). I know it's not a battery issue because I boosted it with a car (car was off, done this with both a GS500F and GSXR750 so I know it doesn't blow things up.)

Bike sounds like it would almost start (makes starting sounds, smell gas being used, exhaust even makes noise....then gives up..) I gotta own up for my mistake now and fix it.

Last edited:
The RSV1000R shat itself last season. I found out it's a dead battery; I was riding it around once a week. Also CAA wrecked my front fender, and I'm hoping they didn't **** the forks (they pulled down directly side ways on the fork, I know this is a horrible idea as I've strapped bikes down myself for track days.)

Due to me being piss high out of my mind constantly (not while riding!), resulting in me not giving a ****, I stored it away without treating the fuel like a ******* moron. Bike won't start now due to, obviously bad fuel (it smells off). I know it's not a battery issue because I boosted it with a car (car was off, done this with both a GS500F and GSXR750 so I know it doesn't blow things up.)

Bike sounds like it would almost start (makes starting sounds, smell gas being used, exhaust even makes noise....then gives up..) I gotta own up for my mistake now and fix this myself.
you knew better and still stored your bike improperly?
you didn't immediately confront the tow driver and CAA? and gather evidence of damage?
not much more needs to be said?
best luck.

you knew better and still stored your bike improperly?
you didn't immediately confront the tow driver and CAA? and gather evidence of damage?
not much more needs to be said?
best luck.

While not an excuse or reason, I was going through intense depression and dealing with suicidal thoughts..using weed as a way to escape simply numbed literally everything. When one literally does not give a flaming **** because they want to die, nothing matters.

.........doesn't mean I don't want to go in the past, pick myself up, and punch me in the face for being weak. But I'm hoping my past misery and mistakes brought some joy in your day, if that's what your post was hinting at by pointing out the obvious.

Back
Top Bottom