how to clean one piece leathers | GTAMotorcycle.com

how to clean one piece leathers

Domon

Site Supporter
Hey guys, i stupidly put my leathers in my storage box without air drying them from my last trackday and i open the box and there was mold everyone. I cleaned the mold off with dish soap but. Anyone one of a way 100% to get rid of the smell and not sure how to clean the inside as i can't flip them.

My guess would be ozone cleaning to kill everything. Normally it's used for hockey gear. I don't know if it should be used on leathers (presumably it is reasonably non-destructive as some hockey gear has leather, but I would want confirmation before trusting my leathers would hold up to the next crash).

I left a wet pair of Warm 'n Safe heated gloves in my saddlebag for 3 weeks. Outside turned green with mildew, no mildew on the inside of the gloves. I washed off with regular liquid dish soap, dried with a towel to remove excess water and then left them outside on the deck to bake in the sun for a couple of days. Turned out OK, no odour and they still work fine.

Soak them in the tub. Hot water and a jug of vinegar.

Let it sit in that for a couple hours.

Rinse it a few times in a tub full of water to get the vinegar smell out.

Hang dry, mink oil it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

You have a couple of options, before you start clean off any visible mold with a damp cloth or soft brush.

Soaking: Soak is about 15 minutes for leathers. ALWAYS DRY LEATHER FLAT ON A RACK, NEVER HANG DRY. Concoctions of Vinegar/water (as mentioned above). 50:1 water:bleach. Oxi cleaners like https://www.lysol.com/lysol-laundry-sanitizer/Toss. Outdoor swimming pool that uses chlorine.

Spray sanitizing: Hydrogen peroxide H2O2 works well. Spray your garment liverally, then wipe after a minute on finished surfaces.

Tumble dryclean: Wipe off any visible mold with a damp cloth, turn the suit inside out, close all velcros, tumble in a dryer with several heavy damp towels on medium heat until the towels are bone dry.

UV: Strong sunshine will kill molds. Hang your suit on a clothesline on a sunny day. Turn it inside out for a day, and rightside out for a day.

You can also take your suit to a furrier to have it professionally tumble cleaned.

How come nobody has mentioned baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) ?

Does anyone know how to get rid of that shiny greasy leather look ? When I first got the jacket it had sort of matte finish but now it became all shiny. Tried Motul leather cleaner and soap but cannot get that shine off.

I took it to love your... in etobicoke. they have a ozone machine. They said they do a lot of racers suits. I will post pics of suit before and after. Also update you on price. if anyone want to try it.

You know how you make ozone (O3) <- spark plugs ?
... lightning works better but it's way hard to control.

Not sure pictures will show the chemistry of de-smell by oxidation :|

Does anyone know how to get rid of that shiny greasy leather look ? When I first got the jacket it had sort of matte finish but now it became all shiny. Tried Motul leather cleaner and soap but cannot get that shine off.
Leather cleaner (saddle soap) is made from fats and oils :| so is soap, you can't make leather less shiny using fats and oils, try alcohol (carefully)

do you have a pool?
toss it in and let it swirl in the jets for a few hours
then lay it in the sun to dry
oil a bit before completely dry

100% no BS
did this with the young lads hockey gear
ever open up a hockey bag in late August?

straight to the pool

Bickle told to me never put anything on leather that you wouldn't put on your own skin. Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom