How to bring a dead lead acid battery back to life | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to bring a dead lead acid battery back to life

Delboy

Amazing video. Anything is repairable when you don't live in a Nanny state and labour is cheap enough.

Still, I would have some concerns with molten lead, acid and sandals

lol
what do you think the life expectancy is for that job?
40?

last 5 years or so would be rough as you deal with lead poisoning
maybe you get lucky and loose your eyes at a young age and can't do it anymore

that is definitely pure, unencumbered capitalism right there

Some awesome stuff there. I like the multi-tap battery to vary the fan speed. The "welder" using a shorted battery is also cool.

Reactions: J_F
Lol, bare hands, sandals and a hack saw.........its not something i wouldn't try, but Id at least put some gloves and shoes on :p

Some awesome stuff there. I like the multi-tap battery to vary the fan speed. The "welder" using a shorted battery is also cool.

at one of my overseas roles we'd bring in local tradespeople from time to time
a community outreach sort of thing

we had a gate to our compound that needed a welding repair
job was contracted to some local welders

2 of them showed up pushing/pulling a wooden kart
top and sides came off and inside was an ancient, and huge
single cylinder engine and genset, and a bunch of old truck batteries
assuming the batteries were wired in series, them and the genset had enough oomph to burn a rod

engine had a giant cast iron flywheel that they wrapped a rope around
then both of them grabbed the rope and started running
a few times the engine kicked back and knocked both of them on the keister
was great fun to watch

after quite a while they got the thing running and one of them set up the welding cables
put on his sunglasses, and started to burn rods

mid afternoon they had to pack up and get out
next day they were back, same routine
except the other one was doing the welding
figure the guy from day prior wasn't able to see yet

Last edited:
LOL, I was running a six axis laser at work the other day and accidentally opened the door when the head crashed the tube, machine was supposed to shut off but it kept arcing and i got a glimpse of the future......I couldn't see the menu at mcdonalds when I went for lunch.

LOL, I was running a six axis laser at work the other day and accidentally opened the door when the head crashed the tube, machine was supposed to shut off but it kept arcing and i got a glimpse of the future......I couldn't see the menu at mcdonalds when I went for lunch.
In university some guys I know picked up a microwave from the side of the road. It had a note "warning, keeps running with door open". They figured they could remember to shut it off before opening the door. I think it might have lasted two days. At that point, they had all irradiated themselves and in the interest of future children, broke the door off and threw it out. Interestingly, I was looking at another microwave and it included a second microswitch which made no sense to me. It turns out the second switch blows the main fuse if you are trying to manually poke the safety switch on.

Lol, bare hands, sandals and a hack saw.......

Those are steel toe safety sandals, as certified by the local worker safety council.

Those are steel toe safety sandals, as certified by the local worker safety council.
Not having walls on your building is almost as effective as a proper hood/respirator to deal with the acid and lead fumes.

Amazing video. Anything is repairable when you don't live in a Nanny state and labour is cheap enough.

Sure, as long as you don't mind a life expectancy in the 60's and dropping, high chronic illness rates (not surprising), insanely high workplace death numbers (also not surprising), and a nearly constant toxic/polluted environment at both workplaces and life in general.

But lets keep fighting against our western "nanny state" government regulations. Race to the bottom for everyone! :cautious:

I'm glad I watched it. You never know when the apocalypse is going to happen and you'll need those skills.

I respect that they thought about each step, and achieved the repair of something that would be at best recycled for the metal here. Also interesting how many of their tools are re-purposed battery related stuff. +1 for checking the specific gravity of the (recycled?) electrolyte, and +10 for installing carry handles on the battery!

Still though, so much nope I want to scream. Those lads by some miracle seem to have all their fingers and toes still functioning, for now

20 years from now that guy is going to be in a wheelchair or bedridden with no lung capacity and chronic lead poisoning, but he probably won't care because he'll have the memory capacity of a goldfish because of it. Apt to be missing several digits or appendages as well.

Or he'll be dead.

But hey, whatever, right?

Listening to the super upbeat song at 7:30 into the video while reading all these posts about how the dude is going to die is kind of entertaining

Yowza. That shouldn't happen. (I'm in this business) Did someone investigate why this happened? (Did someone bypass or override a safety switch?)

If this happened because of a technical failure inside the machine (and wasn't because someone had circumvented something), I'd like to know whose declaration of conformity I shouldn't trust.

If it was a CO2 laser, you've got a chance, as long as you're not in the direct path of the laser. If it was a YAG ...

(Go ahead and PM me if you're not comfortable with public info)

I have been placed in a position of having to tell someone that their brand new made-in-China laser welding machine belonged in the scrap bin, because there was no way I was ever going to approve its use, and there was no way I was ever going to accept any declaration of conformity for that machine unless it came from their notified body directly, not from the manufacturer themselves ... and based on what I saw, there was no way that was ever going to happen. (It's not my problem any more)

That laser light incident reminds me of somebody who called me years ago looking for a pair of safety glasses that would protect a humans eyes from a laser sourced light show. Sure! no problem, they can be black and light will not travel through them at all, or mirror coated and reflect 100% of any light directed at them, pick one. Was not terribly disappointed to lose the sale.

Laser light show, hopefully someone has done their due diligence, and is not using a Class 4 laser (visible-light lasers typically are not), and is never pointing a beam directly towards people, and the laser is sufficiently dispersed (not focused) that any impact upon people is beyond the LHZ (laser hazard zone). Theoretically, that means no safety glasses are required ... IF ... whoever designed and planned the laser light show did their job properly. If they didn't do their job properly ... lawsuits follow.

The really dangerous high powered lasers are either infrared (CO2) or ultraviolet (YAG). You can't see the laser beam, you can't see reflections from smoke/mist in the air (the only way you can see the path of a visible-light laser is via reflections from particles - smoke, mist - in the air, which is why these laser light shows also include smoke / mist generators - which also disperses the beam itself), and your eyes don't have an instinctive reaction to blink or look away. The infrared wavelength from a CO2 laser won't pass through most common materials (glass, plexiglas, or your cornea) which is why those aren't too bad as long as you are not directly in the path of a focused beam. The UV from a YAG does pass through most common materials that are transparent to visible light including your cornea and the optics in your eye are just as good at focusing that UV as for visible light, i.e. it can focus that light on your retina. Very, very bad.

I don't go out of my way to watch laser light shows.

"CAUTION - do not look into laser with remaining eye"

Every time someone bitches about regulations or environment protection I send them pics of the old country:

Back
Top Bottom