How much Maintenance can I do myself? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How much Maintenance can I do myself?

craftymarco

Hello again everyone! Looking for advice on maintenance. I recently acquired my first motorcycle, and the 6000km periodic maintenance check is coming up. My question is, how much of this maintenance can I do myself? There are a couple of things on the list that I don't quite understand, but I am comfortable trying to figure everything out by myself.

I initially intended to do all the maintenance myself, so I do have a basic understanding of how to change your oil, how to adjust your cables, and other simple maintenance, but having some second thoughts. I plan on reselling the bike in a year or two (or even longer), so how important is it to take it to a mechanic? Is there any room for error, especially for a beginner?

I have most of the general tools, not many specialized tools, and have the service manual. Do I follow the list to the T, or are some things not ABSOLUTELY required? I've never learned to maintain a car, so this is my first time working on a machine. Also, when I take it to the mechanic, do they even do everything that's specified in the manual? Is there some sort of Golden Rule of Bike Maintenance?

If anyone can provide me with some insight, that would be great. Thanks for your help.

All of it if you are inclined to.

If you have a great mechanic that is thorough and works cheap, that would be amazing and extremely rare.

Golden Rule of Bike Maintenance: When it comes to maintenance items, deciding what to check is simple. If you don't know for a fact that that any previous owner ever did it, then they didn't do it and it needs to be done.

What's a respectable price for a scheduled maintenance check?
Parts and materials only :|
no way am I paying somebody 100 bucks an hour to learn servicing on my bike.
If I service it myself when the bike is new, I know how it is suppose to be when the parts are relatively new. That helps a lot when you are looking at something later and wondering how worn out it is.

Fluid changes are pretty simple but, do you know what to look for and what to do regarding sprockets and chain? Drain and replace brake fluid? How about the coolant? Do you have the tools and space to perform the work?

Inspecting the brake pads, rotor thickness, checking chain slack, Head Bearing play etc. Lube cables, Fork seals and oil? Tire wear , cracking, puncture etc.

It’s a 2015 machine. Do you have the service history and what services are required?

A motorcycle mechanic I know that does inspections for track days loves to post pics of things he spots.

It’s always nice when you have a pro that can mentor you the right way. Sometimes YouTube and google don’t provide enough.

I do a lot of things on my own but, I do have a pro do a once over and perform some work from time to time. It’s generally because I don’t have the tools or space and sometimes it’s just convenient to have it looked over by someone else you trust. It validates your work and provides peace of mind.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A whole lot of things that you should be checking almost every time you ride the motorcycle,
plus it looks like your are due for a fairly complete brake service (replace pads and flush fluids) that flush is going to be by far the biggest service item that has a significant learning curve.

Are you a complete noobie to brakes and hydraulics? Definitely would benefit from having experienced supervision and/or assistance for that one. If you never learn to do it yourself you will be paying a couple hundred$ to have it done every 3 or so years.

... footer says he rides a 2017 R3

Fluid changes are pretty simple but, do you know what to look for and what to do regarding sprockets and chain? Drain and replace brake fluid? How about the coolant? Do you have the tools and space to perform the work?

Inspecting the brake pads, rotor thickness, checking chain slack, Head Bearing play etc. Lube cables, Fork seals and oil? Tire wear , cracking, puncture etc.

It’s a 2015 machine. Do you have the service history and what services are required?

A motorcycle mechanic I know that does inspections for track days loves to post pics of things he spots.

It’s always nice when you have a pro that can mentor you the right way. Sometimes YouTube and google don’t provide enough.

I do a lot of things on my own but, I do have a pro do a once over and perform some work from time to time. It’s generally because I don’t have the tools or space and sometimes it’s just convenient to have it looked over by someone else you trust. It validates your work and provides peace of mind.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2017, but no, I don't have a service history. I bought it with about 3000km, so the previous owner has only done the initial break-in maintenance at 1000km. Can't say for sure if everything was checked over. Would this be a good reason to take it to a professional? I did get the bike looked over for the safety and told them to do a full maintenance as well, but out of inexperience, I didn't ask what was actually looked at.

Thanks for the tips.

On a side note, does anyone recommend a specific mechanic in the GTA? I'm in Markham, so I have Markham Outdoor Power just 5-10 min away, but I hear from a friend that they're meh.

2017, but no, I don't have a service history. I bought it with about 3000km, so the previous owner has only done the initial break-in maintenance at 1000km. Can't say for sure if everything was checked over. Would this be a good reason to take it to a professional? I did get the bike looked over for the safety and told them to do a full maintenance as well, but out of inexperience, I didn't ask what was actually looked at.

Thanks for the tips.

On a side note, does anyone recommend a specific mechanic in the GTA? I'm in Markham, so I have Markham Outdoor Power just 5-10 min away, but I hear from a friend that they're meh.
@frekeyguy is very well respected. No idea how busy he is. He works out of his garage so he is probably the most economical as well. He is in Brampton.

The vast majority of that list is check for things that look like they are loose or leaking. Going over the bike like that can teach you a lot about where things are and what they are supposed to look like. As trials said, be careful with the brakes. If you decide to do a fluid flush yourself, start with the rear brakes and ride it for a few days to make sure they are happy with the results prior to doing the front brakes. Most people don't do the fluid change and have no issues riding on the street, but it is a good idea (and necessary if you plan on going to a track).

Does it have ABS? you definitely do not want to learn to service brakes starting on an ABS equipped anything.

You know about a half a century ago I took a motorcycle service course in night school at Centennial College and I never regretted it.
... :LOL: didn't learn anything from it, but I never regretted it.

Here is the full service manual for the R3: Yamaha YZF-R3 Service Manual.pdf

Basically gives you a step by step guide on how Yamaha wants things done. Endless amounts of youtube's on each service interval and how to do specific services on the bike. My suggestion would be to try what you can and take it to a mechanic / someone reputable for a once over. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know and can miss things as mentioned above.

That being said it is a fairly new bike with low KM's so a lot of it is straightforward. if you have some level of mechanical inclination and patience than pretty much everything can be done by yourself. Bikes are relatively simple, small scale, and you can access nearly every part without major disassembly (compared to a compact car for example). I'd imagine most mistakes come from people being overconfident and not understanding what they are doing/referencing a manual, or being a hack and not buying the right tools.

honestly the hardest / frustrating part about doing the 6000km service on an R3 is figuring out how the fairings are removed / reassembled. Its a bit of a jigsaw on this bike.

just looking over the owner's manual service interval the big ticket items are:

Fuel Injection - synchronization. This is done by "syncing the throttle bodies" using a carburetor tuner (look up the motion pro one). This is one of those services that looks way more complicated that it seems but is really dead simple once you understand the process. A lot of people question if this is worth doing - I would suggest not skipping it. It relieved the heavy engine braking i developed + improved the overall smoothness on my bike.

Front / Rear brake - for obvious reasons this is not something to skip over and probably a little intimidating for a beginner. Brake pads should still be good at 6000km. Do a visual inspection to confirm there is not any leaks, check brake light switches, deglaze rotors. Brake fluid does degrade even if the bike was sitting most of its life - If it still has the factory fluid you will want to get this changed out. Relatively straightforward procedure however getting a good lever feel (no air in the system) can be a little tricky.

Wheels / Wheel bearings - check runout. I'd bet this gets skipped by most people. You can measure the unwanted variances / play using a dial indicator. Realistically on a recent low mileage bike getting the wheels off the ground, checking they spin freely and do not rock back/forth is what most people are doing. Runout can also be related to tire / tire mounting - check for any flatspots and give the rubber a good once over.

Steering bearing check - any weird clicking, clunking, resistance / handling issues will give this away. You need get the bike off the ground with zero weight on the forks and check for any movement. Fork should not move in any direction it isn't supposed to. Probably fine unless the previous owner was really bad at wheelies.

clutch - relatively easy adjustment that any rider should be familiar with doing. Check the lever snaps back (no significant drag), and make sure there is no cable fraying. May need to be cleaned / lubricated.

Oil change & filter - the gateway drug of home wrenching. Very simple process on this bike. If you are going to start anywhere this is the first service to build your confidence up. The oil change interval is short compared to most bigger bikes so expect to be doing this 2-3 times a year.

The rest of the service items are basic visual checks and confirming things are still torqued down:

Anything rubber (e.g breather hoses, coolant hoses, etc.) - check that the rubber is pliable / no cracks. Take a look at the hose clamps for any movement. * There was a recall on the 2017 for the coolant hose due to bad clamps, make sure the previous owner did this.*

Tires - at 6000km you probably are only at halfway to a third through the OEM tire life. Be mindful that tires are good for about 5 years before the rubber starts to go bad.

suspension - look for any fluid leak near the seals. IMO this is really something that should get checked more often than every couple thousand kms. Clean out any dirt that's caked on the seals. unlikely you'd be seeing any issues this early on.

bolts - go through with a socket set and confirm everything seems decently torqued. I use a torque wrench on things like the brake mounting bolts, triple clamp bolt, etc.

IIRC the dealership I bought from was offering the 1st + 2nd service for $400 at time of purchase. Doesn't sound that crazy until you realize how routine most of this stuff is and how little work it can be. I ended up taking that money and getting all the service specific tools i eventually needed instead.

I wouldn't be too worried about not having a record of the first service. its basically just an oil change (although that part is REALLY important it got done).

;) Throttle synchronization is pretty simple on a fuel injected motor UNLESS your fuel injection uses a sophisticated vacuum throttle control to optimize fuel economy. Normally there is only one screw that you can physically adjust on a throttle body, and that is just an idle screw that bumps up against your butterfly valve, synchronization is to make sure that all your butterflies close at that same time :/ it's not rocket science.
If your Fuel injection has a vacuum controlled throttle slide in addition to the butterfly valve similar to a CV carburetor, well now you are going to need to synchronize the throttle bodies using vacuum gauges, just as you would do if it had CV carbs.

If your throttle bodies are out of sync you should be seeing symptoms.
Changes in performance, fuel range, easy starting, visual inspection of spark plugs ( do they all look the same?)
Periodic compression test and record the numbers would be the equivalent of having your doctor check your blood pressure regularly. You can't sync the intake if the compression is different between cylinders :|

How come fork oil change is not on the list, or did my tired old eyes just miss it? It's past due.
Service Hint: Drain all old oils into a clean clear glass container so you can inspect them for contamination.

btw: have seen brand new bikes with little to no grease in the steering head bearings :| if it had a grease nipple on it then it might get some attention once in a while but they don't.

Thanks for the tips.

My apologies. I didn’t read your intro correctly and thought you got a 2015 Honda. Oops!

Anyways, I see other members post which are comprehensibly better than my own.

Love the R3 btw. Nice machine and can be a ton of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;) Throttle synchronization is pretty simple on a fuel injected motor UNLESS your fuel injection uses a sophisticated vacuum throttle control to optimize fuel economy. Normally there is only one screw that you can physically adjust on a throttle body, and that is just an idle screw that bumps up against your butterfly valve, synchronization is to make sure that all your butterflies close at that same time :/ it's not rocket science.
If your Fuel injection has a vacuum controlled throttle slide in addition to the butterfly valve similar to a CV carburetor, well now you are going to need to synchronize the throttle bodies using vacuum gauges, just as you would do if it had CV carbs.

If your throttle bodies are out of sync you should be seeing symptoms.
Changes in performance, fuel range, easy starting, visual inspection of spark plugs ( do they all look the same?)
Periodic compression test and record the numbers would be the equivalent of having your doctor check your blood pressure regularly. You can't sync the intake if the compression is different between cylinders :|

How come fork oil change is not on the list, or did my tired old eyes just miss it? It's past due.
Service Hint: Drain all old oils into a clean clear glass container so you can inspect them for contamination.

btw: have seen brand new bikes with little to no grease in the steering head bearings :| if it had a grease nipple on it then it might get some attention once in a while but they don't.
Fork oil change at 6000km? That seems quite conservative. I doubt most bikes get that love every 60,000 km (although they should).

Fork oil change at 6000km? That seems quite conservative. I doubt most bikes get that love every 60,000 km (although they should).
When you collect it, see if it is brown like oil or grey like aluminum,
if it sparkles in the sunlight that is really bad and if it has tiny black bits in it that is what is left of your teflon slide bushings.
if it contains water that should settle to the bottom of your glass jar along with any dirt and metal bits. Try not to get any on you.

... and if it is pink somebody likely put ATF in it.

Does it have ABS? you definitely do not want to learn to service brakes starting on an ABS equipped anything.

You know about a half a century ago I took a motorcycle service course in night school at Centennial College and I never regretted it.
... :LOL: didn't learn anything from it, but I never regretted it.

I'll expand on Trials comment by saying you need to know the things that you should never self teach on. Manuals and YouTube videos are great but there is nothing like personal instruction.

The general rule is to watch how you take it apart and then put it back together in the reverse order. How do you un-drop a screw into the bowels of the motor?

How good is your memory? A part is held on by four same thread screws. One is longer. Which hole does it go into?

Do you need a torque wrench for every nut, bolt or screw? Not if you've been wrenching for years but some people need torque screwdrivers.

Go cautiously but do learn to do as much as possible. It will pay off financially and you will avoid having your bike tied up half the summer waiting for the dealer to schedule you in.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, all the explanations show me how little I know lol. Even now I don't really know what many of you are talking about, or even how to approach it at first. For example, fork oil. Haven't had a chance to research on many things, it's a bit of a information overload at this time. I think I'll do what I can, start with the simple stuff and have a mechanic do the rest until I can slowly pick up how to do the more complicated things. My approach to owning a motorcycle is that it's a hobby and it's supposed to be fun, so I want to work on it and learn everything myself, but it's probably a little unrealistic for a beginner rider and beginner "mechanic". I might just have to wait to save wads of cash on maintenance in the future.

On another note, how did everyone here learn the skills that they have now? Would be cool to know how you got where you are now in terms of knowledge. I'm sure most of you have owned bikes for decades by now lol.

Back
Top Bottom