How much do you pay for insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How much do you pay for insurance?

CHRIS63

I have been calling insurance companies to see whats the cost now that I am 25, but it looks like 30 is the new 25. Looks like the cost to ride is at an all-time high. I used to use Aviva for my old bike but now they don't insure anyone under 6 years licensed.

25, male, single
M2 since 2017
G since 2014, insured car since
No tickets, accidents, or claims
Live in Toronto

I have been calling insurance companies to see whats the cost now that I am 25, but it looks like 30 is the new 25. Looks like the cost to ride is at an all-time high. I used to use Aviva for my old bike but now they don't insure anyone under 6 years licensed.

25, male, single
M2 since 2017
Live in Toronto

You forgot the date you’ve been insured on a bike.

G license means nothing towards motorcycle insurance. Also don’t expect huge discounts at 25. Shop around and good luck.

What bike?

I pay ~$100/m for a 650 in Toronto in my 40s. Sh*t isn’t cheap these days

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

25, male, single
M2 since 2017
Live in Toronto

It's almost a silly question because they are all expensive to insure for the road,
but what motorcycle are you looking at? That will make the difference of you getting an outrageous quote or a totally absurd quote.

'You wanna laugh/cry...
Check out the ins. rates in BC... Lol.

Where's those insurance guys, I want to ask them what the absolute cheapest motorcycle model to insure is in Ontario right now.

I pay more insurance for a 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture than I do for a 2017 Aprilia Tuono.
I also got quoted out for a Yamaha WR250 and it would cost about $300 MORE than the Tuono.
How does that make any sense to anyone???

Where's those insurance guys, I want to ask them what the absolute cheapest motorcycle model to insure is in Ontario right now.
smaller engine size = lower rates but this is more of an issue for newer riders. If you got over 6 years riding experience (full M, prior insurance, etc) the CCs dont matter as much as they do when you are starting out. Obviously age, location, tickets all factor in.

I ride a 2015 BMW S1000R and pay about $800/year with proper coverage. Live in Toronto, 41, no tickets.

smaller engine size = lower rates but this is more of an issue for newer riders. If you got over 6 years riding experience (full M, prior insurance, etc) the CCs dont matter as much as they do when you are starting out. Obviously age, location, tickets all factor in.

I ride a 2015 BMW S1000R and pay about $800/year with proper coverage. Live in Toronto, 41, no tickets.
Get one of them to punch it into their computer and tell you what model or models come out on bottom.
and good luck with that.

Not talking about driver record or anything else here, just the bike model, which seems to make a big deal to them.

Get one of them to punch it into their computer and tell you what model or models come out on bottom.
and good luck with that.

Not talking about driver record or anything else here, just the bike model, which seems to make a big deal to them.
Engine size is definitely a factor when it comes to insurance but not as much as experience, age, and to a lesser extent location. That being said of course there are "blacklisted" bikes (eg GSXR, ZX6R, CBR-RR, YZF R6/R1) that are rated higher but that is more of an issue for newer riders with less than 6 years moto licensed.
The surcharge on these bikes for an experienced rider isn't much but it is always new M2 riders buying those bikes so all you hear is crazy rates. A Suzuki GSXR-600 for ME personally would only be about $950/year. In other words something like a Honda CBR-600RR though just 599 cc will still have a higher rate than a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700. For motocross /off-road bikes its almost the opposite as the smaller they are the less companies can insure it (long story) . Less rate options to compare against is the reason why a Yamaha WR250R might end up having a higher rate (for the ROAD) or around the same as a bigger Kawasaki KLR650.

DM me if you want more info on this.... from an actual RIDER'S perspective

Engine size is definitely a factor when it comes to insurance but not as much as experience, age, and to a lesser extent location. That being said of course there are "blacklisted" bikes (eg GSXR, ZX6R, CBR-RR, YZF R6/R1) that are rated higher but that is more of an issue for newer riders with less than 6 years moto licensed.
The surcharge on these bikes for an experienced rider isn't much but it is always new M2 riders buying those bikes so all you hear is crazy rates. A Suzuki GSXR-600 for ME personally would only be about $950/year. In other words something like a Honda CBR-600RR though just 599 cc will still have a higher rate than a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700. For motocross /off-road bikes its almost the opposite as the smaller they are the less companies can insure it (long story) . Less rate options to compare against is the reason why a Yamaha WR250R might end up having a higher rate (for the ROAD) or around the same as a bigger Kawasaki KLR650.

DM me if you want more info on this.... from an actual RIDER'S perspective
All true.
I'm looking for the motorcycle that is the antithesis of a restricted motorcycle.
The one you want to buy and insure, just so you have a motorcycle with insurance on it incase you need such a thing.
... such as to retain a contiguous motorcycle insurance history.

All true.
I'm looking for the motorcycle that is the antithesis of a restricted motorcycle.
The one you want to buy and insure, just so you have a motorcycle with insurance on it incase you need such a thing.
Honda Grom.

All true.
email me at: moto@nfp.com If you are looking at supersports I can send you a list of sport bikes with no surcharge at all. If you are looking at cruisers, standards, adventure bikes, etc you have nothing to worry about as none of those are blacklisted.

Honda Grom.
You think so? I wondered about that. How safe is a mini-bike on the street that the insurance would be the lowest :unsure:

email me at: moto@nfp.com If you are looking at supersports I can send you a list of sport bikes with no surcharge at all. If you are looking at cruisers, standards, adventure bikes, etc you have nothing to worry about as none of those are blacklisted.
No man, you guys still don't get it. It's the question that every new motorcycle rider should be asking you.

You make them ask"How much will it cost for me to insure this bike?"
and they have to take a guess until they find the ones they can afford which is a moving target.

Honda Grom.
If you are over 35, no major ticket issues, a Honda Grom shouldn't be more than $400/year tops. Again 99% of insurance companies don't know bikes at all. Not the case here. I just insured an older fella on a Grom this week and rate was $312/year

You think so? I wondered about that. How safe is a mini-bike on the street that the insurance would be the lowest :unsure:
I’m $40/month and I’m a rookie compared to lots of riders.

I should remind folks here that I am a RIDER first, just happen to also know the insurance side which is why I am here to help my fellow riders sort through the insurance crap. A brokerage that actually knows what they are doing would rate a Grom same as anything else in the same 101-200 cc class, Honda CBR125R, Kawasaki Z125 Pro, Vespa LX150, etc. We are talking STREET bikes here though. That formula won't work for an off-road like a Beta 200RR.

@NFP Moto , so going back to what Trials was asking - "What is the cheapest motorcycle to insure [regardless of size or type]?" - do you have any suggestions based on your experience? Here are the two main scenarios that have come up in past discussions:

1. new rider still learning and doesn't care what they ride, but wants to keep costs as low as possible.
2. experienced rider who for some reason wants to stop riding temporarily, wants to "invest" in a cheap (to insure) bike to keep their insurance history untarnished from a gap.

Back
Top Bottom