How long will stabilized gas last in open / vented container? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How long will stabilized gas last in open / vented container?

Car2Slo

I'm having a hard time starting one of my motors and wondering how long gasoline will last in an vented / open container once it's stabilized? I added stabilizer in October but suspect the tank is not perfectly sealed.

I'm running my lawn mower on gas at least a year old with no stabilizer..it doesn't really stop going bang..

It really depends on how it's been stored. Sitting open in warm temperatures can really do a number on it. If it smells off (like mineral spirits) then it's definitely bad.

If in doubt try some fresh gas.

I'm of the opinion when it comes to bikes and gas stabilizer...once you put stabilizer in it, it is no longer considered gas and is now a "storage fluid".

I would never run any engine that I gave a crap about on stabilized gas.

After the storage is over drain it and use it to clean parts etc. or take it to the household hazardous waste depot.

I'm of the opinion when it comes to bikes and gas stabilizer...once you put stabilizer in it, it is no longer considered gas and is now a "storage fluid".

After the storage is over drain it and use it to clean parts etc. or take it to the household hazardous waste depot.

really? What harm do you think stabilized gas after seasonal storage will cause to an engine you care about?

Just stated my 81 honda cmt twinstar after two year sitting with sea foam in the gas,no problems at all and it started on the second crank.Too lazy to put fresh gas in it.If the gas smells like varnish it's too far gone and time to do the carbs.

I have got 5 year old stabiled gas in my generator. Still fires and runs without problems. Keep the cap on tight and keep it full.

Any backup science for this?

Any backup science for this?

None...
That is big time BS. Sure he is being cautious but some might suggest overly cautious.

Your nose is the best indicator. If it's stinky, it's gotta go!

None...
That is big time BS. Sure he is being cautious but some might suggest overly cautious.

Your nose is the best indicator. If it's stinky, it's gotta go!

Sounds more like "gotta change your oil in spring, even though u just did it before storage"

For 15 dollars worth of gas I'd rather pull the petcock and dump it than to have to pull the carbs later and give them 3 going overs because a tiny spec of crap plugged a slow jet.

Maybe you think it is voodoo and laugh at me, I do what works from 20 years experience avoiding problems...but you do what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom