How does insurance claim work after a crash? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How does insurance claim work after a crash?

UnderCat

I've never been in a crash or don't know anyone who'd have to deal with insurance. I would like to know more about the steps and be prepared for something that I hope will never happen.
What would be the process for such thing? Who to call during such event (police and insurance, I suppose)? Who would determine the damage and claimable amount? Do my rates go up after a non-at-fault crash?
Thanks

Depends on the crash. If it's just me and I can ride off no point in alerting the police. Why risk a ticket.

With others involved exchange insurance info and call the cops.

If you didn't cause the accident insist on the police. People involved in accidents arn't always as trust worthy as you would hope. I've been burned a couple times by trusting people.

You are supposed to take the vehicle to an Ontario claims examination centre. There they take photos, file your accident report (including any police information) then either store it or if it's drivable you can take it away. You contact your insurance company and they send an appraiser to wherever the vehicle is located (your home, repair shop or storage site).
Then comes the fun part - the appraiser and the adjuster decide whether to repair or write it off. If they repair, no problem and depending on your policy you may be entitled to a rental in the meantime. If they write it off, you get to fight with them over the settlement amount. They'll usually try to lowball you, but if you can provide fair market value equivalents or recent repair costs that must be calculated into the judgement.
If there is personal injury that opens up a whole different can of worms. Medical costs, time off work, permanent pain and suffering - be prepared for a long haul.
The last time I went through this it took over a month - be patient and insistent.

Back
Top Bottom