How do you win in racing exactly? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you win in racing exactly?

bigpoppa

Finally have a decent grasp of the different types of racing...different classes etc thanks to google, but cant figure out exactly how winning works in racing?

Been following motoamerica (successor to AMA?) there seem to be championships for every state...how does this work exactly? Do you win each state and your a champion? or do you win as many states as you can and at the end of the year whoever wins the most championships is the actual winner?

Is there 1 championship that everyone is aspiring to win?(Like NBA title, or stanley cup?)

Does motogp and world superbike work like this as well?

Thanks!

You planning on racing in the states?
is a little different everywhere.

Most clubs post their rule books on line,
that is the best place to start but no use in looking at the wrong rule book, there are too many variations on the theme.

Last edited:
Interesting, thank you for referring me to the rule books...according to Motoamerica...they operate based on a point system...but they seem to have
more than 1 point system...It doesnt really specify which is for what...but if I had to guess...for each race they have a point system based on who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd...and I guess they use that to determine a state champion...and at the end of the year they use whoever won had the highest points(and by extension the most state championships) becomes the actual champion?

Will try to locate a motogp and WSBK rulebook as well

By george I think he's got it (y)

Generally, Regional events count for regional competition event points,
and Nationals are completely different set of events,
but your standing in regional competition determines the class you would be expected to compete in Nationally.

Becoming a national champion in any given class normally means you must move up to the next class if one exists.

So its like the premier league? Each match/win is points...and whoever accumulates the most at the end of the year wins?

I know very little about racing....
now boxing I know more about.

Correct.

Gets way more complicated if it is a team event like the FIM Trial des Nations

been watching a bit of motoamerica on youtube recently. the championship title is still for grabs. Yamaha vs Suzuki.
very exciting to watch

It is pretty simple. Moto GP, World Superbikes or whatever class you are racing in. There is a decending point scale for whatever position you come in in each race like you posted above. At the end of the season whoever has the most points wins.

Example:

Moto GP

Riders and Constructors (manufacturers) compete for respective FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix titles. Teams compete for a MotoGP™ Team Championship, which is different to the Constructors Championship as there are multiple teams competing on machinery from the same manufacturer.

For riders, the points that count towards their World Championship total are those gained in each race. For Constructors, only the highest placed motorcycle of a given Constructor earns points, according to the position in the race.

Teams in the MotoGP™ class are in principle comprised of two riders. All points scored by both riders in the Team, including substitutes or replacements, count towards the Team Championship. In the case of a one rider Team, only the points scored by that rider count towards the Team Championship. Wild card riders do not score points for the Team Championship.

For each race, Championship points will be awarded on the following scale:

1st place=25 points
2nd place=20 points
3rd place=16 points
4th place=13 points
5th place=11 points
6th place=10 points
7th place=9 points
8th place=8 points
9th place=7 points
10th place=6 points
11th place=5 points
12th place=4 points
13th place=3 points
14th place=2 points
15th place=1 points
Results in all races will count for the Championship classification (this was not always the case historically).

In the event of a tie in the number of points, the final positions will be decided on the basis of the number of best results (number of first places, number of second places, etc.). In the event that there is still a tie then, the date in the Championship at which the highest place was achieved will be taken into account-with precedence going to the latest result.

There are numerous organisations that "sanction" (basically, "organize") roadracing around the world, which range from small regional organisations (local examples include SOAR, RACE, VRRA), to national ones (locally, this is CSBK Canadian Superbike Championship), to international ones (WorldSBK, MotoGP).

Each one of these has their own rulebook and their own points-scoring system as described in the post above and they each operate their own "series" - schedule of events through each season. They generally all operate independently, although there are a couple of "world" organisations that you need to know about - the main one being the FIM (Federation International de Motocyclisme).

The way it's supposed to work is that each country has their own FIM-affiliated organising body (in our case, it's the CMA, in the USA it's the AMA) who represents that country's interests in the FIM and in turn operates that country's local racing series in a manner consistent with the FIM. This is so that generally things work the same internationally. A checkered flag means the same thing everywhere, a stationary yellow flag means the same thing everywhere, rider credentials are mutually recognised so that a rider can be trained anywhere and race anywhere, etc. It so happens that Canada is messed up, because our official FIM representative, the CMA, doesn't actually do anything, and the local racing organisations that actually do something (SOAR, RACE, CSBK) don't have anything to do with the CMA, which complicates the transition of Canadian riders to the international stage, but be that as it may ...

"How do you win" ...

You generally start riding at 3 or 4 years old because dad is already a racer. You graduate through minibikes or dirt bikes or whatever, to the point where you want to ride on pavement, and dad buys you an entry level race bike for whatever the entry-level class is in your local racing series, you go there and ride the wheels off it in whatever they call that class (novice, or lightweight something, etc). You win that series and if you are young enough, maybe attract some attention and move up to the national series, and perhaps win that, and then either spend huge money or get huge sponsorship and ride internationally in the entry-level class (e.g. WorldSSP300 for production-based "300" class bikes for WorldSBK, or Moto3 for MotoGP), and if you manage to win that then move up to WorldSSP (for production-based "600" class bikes for WorldSBK or Moto2 for MotoGP), and if you manage to win that then move up to WorldSBK or MotoGP and become world champion.

... except that most people either run out of talent, money, health, or time at some point. Or they stop at their comfort level in the realisation that if they go to the next level, they'll not go any further. In my case, it's regional-level Lightweight Superbike or equivalent. In Jordan Szoke's case, it's national-level (CSBK) Superbike ...

A lot of riders locally start with track days. The best place to start is to take a training course first. Locally, Racer5 or FAST are good choices. Those will get you the basics of how to operate your motorcycle on the track. Then start with the slow group, when you outrun them move to the intermediate group, then when you outrun them move to the advanced group ... and if you're fast there then it's time to get that regional roadracing license.

Top of your current level tends to mean back of the pack in the next level until you figure out what's what. Fastest yellow-group rider? Back of the red group. Fast track-day rider? Maybe you'll do okay in novice roadracing until you figure out what's what there. Bump up to Amateur, back of the pack again, until you get some speed. It gets tougher and tougher the higher you go.

As a point of reference, I'm 20 seconds a lap off WorldSBK or MotoGP pace at Phillip Island. Some of that is due to being on a bone stock rental production bike (S1000RR) with DOT tires. But make no mistake ... most of that is because my name is neither Marc Marquez nor Jonathan Rea. But still, at that track-day, plenty of riders were 20 seconds off my pace.

I didn't have the benefit of parents who understood motorcycles at all. I never touched one until I was 21. By that age, Valentino Rossi (whose father was a roadracer) was winning world championships. Jonathan Rea's grandfather was a roadracer. (Correction upon reading the book: Jonathan Rae's grandfather paid for Joey Dunlop's bikes so that Joey Dunlop could race. If you don't know who Joey Dunlop is ... look it up. This family was well connected in Irish road racing years before Jonathan Rae was born.)

Valentino Rossi has an autobiography book, "What if I had never tried it", which is getting to be a few years old (2005). I just re-read my copy.

Jonathan Rea has one, "Dream. Believe. Achieve", which is a couple of years old, he's since won two more WorldSBK titles. I just got that for Christmas, and I'll be reading that this week.

Last edited:
Practice.
You should be out there practicing today. I am :D

Money and more money and the time to exercise 10 hours a day. Just for tires at the pro level can easily cost $1000 per race weekend.

Collect lots and lots of these:
golds-zps03e36a05.jpg

There are numerous organisations that "sanction" (basically, "organize") roadracing around the world, which range from small regional organisations (local examples include SOAR, RACE, VRRA), to national ones (locally, this is CSBK Canadian Superbike Championship), to international ones (WorldSBK, MotoGP).

Each one of these has their own rulebook and their own points-scoring system as described in the post above and they each operate their own "series" - schedule of events through each season. They generally all operate independently, although there are a couple of "world" organisations that you need to know about - the main one being the FIM (Federation International de Motocyclisme).

The way it's supposed to work is that each country has their own FIM-affiliated organising body (in our case, it's the CMA, in the USA it's the AMA) who represents that country's interests in the FIM and in turn operates that country's local racing series in a manner consistent with the FIM. This is so that generally things work the same internationally. A checkered flag means the same thing everywhere, a stationary yellow flag means the same thing everywhere, rider credentials are mutually recognised so that a rider can be trained anywhere and race anywhere, etc. It so happens that Canada is messed up, because our official FIM representative, the CMA, doesn't actually do anything, and the local racing organisations that actually do something (SOAR, RACE, CSBK) don't have anything to do with the CMA, which complicates the transition of Canadian riders to the international stage, but be that as it may ...

"How do you win" ...

You generally start riding at 3 or 4 years old because dad is already a racer. You graduate through minibikes or dirt bikes or whatever, to the point where you want to ride on pavement, and dad buys you an entry level race bike for whatever the entry-level class is in your local racing series, you go there and ride the wheels off it in whatever they call that class (novice, or lightweight something, etc). You win that series and if you are young enough, maybe attract some attention and move up to the national series, and perhaps win that, and then either spend huge money or get huge sponsorship and ride internationally in the entry-level class (e.g. WorldSSP300 for production-based "300" class bikes for WorldSBK, or Moto3 for MotoGP), and if you manage to win that then move up to WorldSSP (for production-based "600" class bikes for WorldSBK or Moto2 for MotoGP), and if you manage to win that then move up to WorldSBK or MotoGP and become world champion.

... except that most people either run out of talent, money, health, or time at some point. Or they stop at their comfort level in the realisation that if they go to the next level, they'll not go any further. In my case, it's regional-level Lightweight Superbike or equivalent. In Jordan Szoke's case, it's national-level (CSBK) Superbike ...

A lot of riders locally start with track days. The best place to start is to take a training course first. Locally, Racer5 or FAST are good choices. Those will get you the basics of how to operate your motorcycle on the track. Then start with the slow group, when you outrun them move to the intermediate group, then when you outrun them move to the advanced group ... and if you're fast there then it's time to get that regional roadracing license.

Top of your current level tends to mean back of the pack in the next level until you figure out what's what. Fastest yellow-group rider? Back of the red group. Fast track-day rider? Maybe you'll do okay in novice roadracing until you figure out what's what there. Bump up to Amateur, back of the pack again, until you get some speed. It gets tougher and tougher the higher you go.

As a point of reference, I'm 20 seconds a lap off WorldSBK or MotoGP pace at Phillip Island. Some of that is due to being on a bone stock rental production bike (S1000RR) with DOT tires. But make no mistake ... most of that is because my name is neither Marc Marquez nor Jonathan Rea. But still, at that track-day, plenty of riders were 20 seconds off my pace.

I didn't have the benefit of parents who understood motorcycles at all. I never touched one until I was 21. By that age, Valentino Rossi (whose father was a roadracer) was winning world championships. Jonathan Rea's grandfather was a roadracer.

Valentino Rossi has an autobiography book, "What if I had never tried it", which is getting to be a few years old (2005). I just re-read my copy.

Jonathan Rea has one, "Dream. Believe. Achieve", which is a couple of years old, he's since won two more WorldSBK titles. I just got that for Christmas, and I'll be reading that this week.

Yeah it seems to be the prevailing theme in all sports, when I was boxing and thinking about going pro, I looked around and realized all the top fighters started at 10-12 years old...some even younger(floyd) by the time they were 18, they were already good fighters and at the pro level, winning olympic gold medals, golden gloves etc etc etc.

I was doing at 24 what they did at 10.

my daughter got tons of those participation medals paying soccer when she was a youngster
Should have figured somebody wouldn't know a national gold if you seen one.
nice troll btw ?

Last edited:
I am about three chapters into Jonathan Rea's autobiography. It is excellent.

Starting something like this later in life probably means not making it to world level competitions, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun doing it. I do. I also don't have to answer to sponsors, and it doesn't feel like a job.

Back
Top Bottom