How do you stop them? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you stop them?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Related to a fallen riders thread and a comment about the person causing the crash.

"the POS has 3 DUI's and multiple licence suspensions
several arrests for drugs
including heroin when arrested after this incident
he rolled a truck/trailer in Texas earlier this June
this little puke should not have been driving anything"

Is there a legal way to stop the perpetrator?

Outside the law vigilante justice could go to any extreme but vigilantism lowers the bar into the ground.

The crash happened in the USA and their rate of recidivism is many times that of more advanced countries but we have similar repeat offenders here as well.

Extreme punishment (Death penalty or life sentence) would stop the above perpetrator but likely have little to no effect on other similar minded persons. It wasn't premeditated. The perpetrator just decided to take the wheel and disregarded the fact that he wasn't up to the task.

Carpe Diem, seize the day. Some people seize the hour, minute or second. They will flick a cigarette butt onto the ground when they are standing next to an ashtray. They don't think. They don't care.

There is no answer. I / we could go all over the mental map including conspiracy theories and achieve nothing. I'm just venting and it would be inappropriate in the Rider Down section.

Last edited:
You can't completely stop stupidity, but in the US case, there had been an administrative failure; the driver's CDL should have been revoked under existing law. In the latter case, we need mandatory minimum penalties for being at fault in a crash involving serious injury or fatality. At a minimum, same as stunt driving, AND getting your license back should be back to square one as if you never had one. Can't force people to follow rules, but at least you can make them read the rules.

You can't completely stop stupidity, but in the US case, there had been an administrative failure; the driver's CDL should have been revoked under existing law. In the latter case, we need mandatory minimum penalties for being at fault in a crash involving serious injury or fatality. At a minimum, same as stunt driving, AND getting your license back should be back to square one as if you never had one. Can't force people to follow rules, but at least you can make them read the rules.

Who gave the guy the keys and did they use due diligence?

Civil courts could make the key giver very poor, especially if there is cause for the insurer to bail out on a technicality.

You can't. People don't believe that they suck at driving. Look at the Laws/Regulations/HTA section. No one's ever said "I got a ticket, how do I improve my driving so that I don't get another", it's always about how they can beat the ticket, how they were being picked on etc.

The people above are exactly the same.

The best thing you can do is to actively work at improving your own driving and encourage others to do so.

Most people drive at to high a percentage of their ability and don't allow for multiple mistakes, and that causes issues, as many collisions are the result of multiple mistakes that compound the initial one.

So try and drive so as to make up for others mistakes. Consider yourself to be the second worst driver on the planet. Everyone else is tied for first.

There are drivers in the US right now who have a double digit number of traffic convictions or several DUIs and still have their license.
I remember a case a few years back in Illinois where some punk with 40 traffic violations killed someone.
The law needs to be much more severe.
Caught driving with no license, immediate 5 year ban. Caught a 2nd time, lifetime ban.
Kill someone while DUI, lifetime ban and equivalent to a charge of manslaughter.

Automation. Take control away from the sack of meat in the "driver's seat." Everybody becomes passengers. But we're years away from full-fleet automation.

Biometric based interlocks would be the next most secure but there are loopholes; blood alcohol along with fingerprint or retinal scan hardware could be installed in the perp's car but there are others he could simply "borrow" or steal. Wouldn't help with other forms of impairment tho (e.g. drugs) either.

Incarceration? Take them off the streets? I'd support that in some cases but in "lesser" cases it would be a hard sell to the populace.

All we can do is ride defensively and maybe assess the risk we face. I know some folks here have said they gave up street riding for closed-course racing because of all the **** drivers out there.

this is a more appropriate place for those thoughts
thanks nb48

the top civil servant at the head of Mass DMV - can't remember the name or title
has resigned over the failure to act with the commercial licensing of this driver
after the above information was shared from other states

I suspect there is some self-serving motive behind the resignation: pending litigation

Mandated stickers.... similar to how California has stickers for electric cars/HOV eligible cars
Shame them in this day-and-age of social media and be a rolling laughing stock.

Imagine seeing a pink/fusia/rainbow colored rear bumper in front, or front bumper in the rearview..

Mandated stickers.... similar to how California has stickers for electric cars/HOV eligible cars
Shame them in this day-and-age of social media and be a rolling laughing stock.

Imagine seeing a pink/fusia/rainbow colored rear bumper in front, or front bumper in the rearview..
I also like this idea extended to phones. If you get caught doing something idiotic on your phone, it is placed in a pink foam case. Come back in 30 days to get the case off. A tamper sticker lets them know if you removed the case. That results in a $2000 fine.

Your idea is actually quite practical. The DUI has to pay for the interlock already, adding a few hundred more for a hideous wrap is an easy step. Hell, just make it like cigarette packaging. "I have been convicted of DUI and this vehicle is equipped with an ignition interlock".

I also like this idea extended to phones. If you get caught doing something idiotic on your phone, it is placed in a pink foam case. Come back in 30 days to get the case off. A tamper sticker lets them know if you removed the case. That results in a $2000 fine.

Your idea is actually quite practical. The DUI has to pay for the interlock already, adding a few hundred more for a hideous wrap is an easy step. Hell, just make it like cigarette packaging. "I have been convicted of DUI and this vehicle is equipped with an ignition interlock".

As for the last bit of your post, anyone with an ignition interlock has an orange light affixed to their front license plate - it’s not lit up if everything is kosher, but it’s there. So if you know what you’re looking for, you can spot a DUI driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it the UK that learners had a big "L" on the bumper? How about an "I" for idiot or "D" for drunk. A couple of sheet metal screws through the BMW or MB trunk lid and we're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom