How do you keep your legs warm in fall/early winter? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you keep your legs warm in fall/early winter?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
I've tried thermal gear (the ones you wear while running in -20) and they are NOT working when I put jeans on top. Any ideas?

I don't want to have to pull out ski gear. lol

Also, why doesn't anyone switch to dirt tires and ride in the winter? Sounds crazy...I'm just wondering.

Try real motorcycle riding gear. I know it sounds crazy, but it really works.

I just wear long johns and they seem to work well...
The last week or so has been miserable weather and I haven't bothered to take the bike out.
It's supposed to warm up this week so hopefully I can put some mileage on before hibernation time.

I just wear long johns and they seem to work well...
The last week or so has been miserable weather and I haven't bothered to take the bike out.
It's supposed to warm up this week so hopefully I can put some mileage on before hibernation time.

Yeah I was gonna ride today but wet + cold would suck.

And did Keith say anything useful? I put him on ignore cause all I noticed were useless/sarcastic/narcissistic responses from him lol

油井緋色;1667921 said:
Yeah I was gonna ride today but wet + cold would suck.

And did Keith say anything useful? I put him on ignore cause all I noticed were useless/sarcastic/narcissistic responses from him lol

Yeah, buying real motorcyle gear is a terrible idea. Are you and Sushii the same person?

I got a pair of insulated jeans. They seems to work well. The bigger problem with me isnt the legs so much as the hands.

Up to -20 last year, highways and all, long johns + jeans worked for me.

Up to -20 last year, highways and all, long johns + jeans worked for me.

Guess I'll try it again, cause the "long johns" you're referring to are likely similar (or arguably less effective) than my thermal wear....maybe it's the jeans being ****** and girly that's causing me problems. I'd buy riding pants but no $$$ =(

Why not use Under Armour thermal then long johns then your jeans? I'll be trying that soon. I need alternatives for my hands though. Don't want to use heated anything.

Mitts_back_001220.JPG

That is what I used :) works quite well.

Last edited:
If you're really on a budget...buy track pants that don't breathe well from Winners or wal-mart (read: don't buy cotton. Get some sort of polyester fabric). They can be had for 20 bucks. Use them as overpants to block out wind and wear long johns + jeans underneath. I used to do it last year whenever I'd go for my leisure night rides.

I didn't bother with it for school, though...I just sucked it up and came to school with frozen limbs. haha

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as the track pants idea. Some splash pants have a fuzzy inner liner.

Although I opted to buy an armoured pair with a removeable quilted thermal liner. Good for all year round. Check out Royal Distributing. Scan the racks and you might just score a great deal. Mine were $250 to buy new...got em for 90 bucks tax in

Last edited:
Longjohns under jeans has been adequate for me thus far. Along with a thicker pair of socks under my Daytonas, my lower body doesn't have much to complain about.

Last fall/winter I was wearing my snow pants. Thermal wear, then jeans then rain pants will work as well as the rain gear keeps the heat in and doesn't let the wind through.

This year I have my leathers which should keep me warm, if not I'll just throw the rain gear over top and add a thermal layer to the inside.

jeans won't break the wind. Try using rain gear , leather, textile. If you're still cold, gotta get to the heated stuff.

Sort of a thread jack, but what are you guys using as options for your hands? Long johns or thermal gear under pants worked for me so far...

Bought a warm pair of Joe Rocket gloves. They seem to be working but not very water proof. Thinking I might just get a waterpoof over the glove thingy like they have in an other thread to wear over my regular gloves.

Keith has the right advice. the rest is just trying to make sue.

My Fieldsheer or Scorpion textile, with rain and thermal liners, are good to winter temps. I own heated gear, but haven't touched it since buying quality textile 3 yrs ago.

to keep legs warm?
'leg warmers', obviously!

leg-warmers.jpg

Seriously, when riding in cooler weather, it's the wind* and the resulting chill from the loss of body heat that needs to be dealt with. I found that long-johns under insulated armored riding jeans under a windproof layer works pretty good.
The windproof layer could be nylon track pants, but preferably a shell that 'breathes'... if find FroggToggs do a good job.

* even on a calm day you're subjecting yourself to a 100 km/h wind just riding on the highways so dress for it.

Last edited:
Long Johns under leather or textile work for me. Hands are my major problem. Even with heated grips and skidoo type gloves my digits freeze. The palms are usually toasty but the finger tips and back of the hands get frozen quite quickly. I was going to buck up for heated gloves but I don't ride enough cold weather to make it worthwhile.

On another forum someone suggested sticking a heat pack in the glove on the back of the hand but i don't see how that helps the fingers. Some of the real hardcore winter riders suggest putting those hand guards (like on dual sports)on to cut the wind. Might work but could be hard to do on a bike with clipons.

I might try those "muff" things if I can find a pair that are not gigantic or maybe I'll park it until next year. As an old fart, I really feel the cold.

Ride safely friends.

Cheers,
Spyug

Back
Top Bottom