How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

There's so much BS and politics... Mostly politics surrounding this push towards all EV all the time...

EVs have their fan boys for sure, but...
For the vast majority they just don't cut it.
I'll drive an EV when Justin Trudeau gives up flying to Tofino to go surfing for he weekend.

Now... build me a cool peddle car and we can talk
Maybe we can put him in a battery powered plane to go to Tofino. Either it takes him a week due to constant hops and extended charges or it runs out of power and crashes. Either way we win.

There's so much BS and politics... Mostly politics surrounding this push towards all EV all the time...

EVs have their fan boys for sure, but...
For the vast majority they just don't cut it.
I'll drive an EV when Justin Trudeau gives up flying to Tofino to go surfing for he weekend.

Now... build me a cool peddle car and we can talk

Like everything else in this life, it's a divided issue

To ev or not to ev

To vax or not to vax

Send the kids to school or keep them home on line

To get the last word, or just let it go .

Oakville had a building bylaw that all new construction had to have an EV outlet . Builders successfully argued that less than 1% of buyers had an EV. Adding 2k to every house was nuts and if everyone bought an EV the Oakville grid would brown out for months . They changed the bylaw .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Oakville had a building bylaw that all new construction had to have an EV outlet . Builders successfully argued that less than 1% of buyers had an EV. Adding 2k to every house was nuts and if everyone bought an EV the Oakville grid would brown out for months . They changed the bylaw .

Or maybe they could have a 1-5% contigency somewhere to future proof!?

Otherwise it's just short sighted ...but that's usually what developers are known for...not planning for future infrastructure but gettin that money right now

Or the home owners could have an outlet installed when required ..... or as a add on with the builder.

given the advancing technology , with the bylaws you could be forced into tech that is outdated before applicable . I may own a hydrogen cell vehicle before EV.

As usual Europe leads the way

Americans don't even want EV's. Not the Volt for sure. It was cancelled with the Bolt soon to follow. let alone hydrogen

I can't fix a bunch of sleepy heads..,
I'm sure that number is same or higher in Canada.

IMO EV technology is evolving at a very slow pace. The first EVs on the market were rolling around California in 1996 about the same time people started connecting to the Internet using 1200baud modems. 25 years later we still have stupid EV prices, slim product options, and a lackluster infrastructure.

Compare that to the tech advances we have seen in computers, cell phones, internet connectivity and even the technology in ICE powered vehicles.

There are no mass markets where the masses will pay a premium for everyday items (like cars). Some will -- early adopters who need the coolest stuff, statement makers, but not the masses. I think the most optimistic forecasts are for ICE vehicles to be at 60% in North America in 2040.

Until EVs can match price and cost of the ICE option AND eliminate fueling risks for the masses, uptake will be slow.

I plan on buying an EV pickup as soon as the mid range trims become available. I think pickups may match ICE version cost of ownership before cars can.

2018 OBC required charger rough in. You don't need the wire or outlet but you need a 200 amp service, big conduit to garage and a box. I think that's a reasonable compromise position. Hell, I wish all houses had two conduits run from the panel to somewhere in each level/garage/attic (one for power, one for not-power). We are all stuck with stupid legacy wiring that was installed (intercom, telephone, four wire thermostat, etc) and short of destroying your house, there is no reasonable path to get something useful in its place.

IMO EV technology is evolving at a very slow pace. The first EVs on the market were rolling around California in 1996 about the same time people started connecting to the Internet using 1200baud modems. 25 years later we still have stupid EV prices, slim product options, and a lackluster infrastructure.

Compare that to the tech advances we have seen in computers, cell phones, internet connectivity and even the technology in ICE powered vehicles.

There are no mass markets where the masses will pay a premium for everyday items (like cars). Some will -- early adopters who need the coolest stuff, statement makers, but not the masses. I think the most optimistic forecasts are for ICE vehicles to be at 60% in North America in 2040.

Until EVs can match price and cost of the ICE option AND eliminate fueling risks for the masses, uptake will be slow.

I plan on buying an EV pickup as soon as the mid range trims become available. I think pickups may match ICE version cost of ownership before cars can.
A lot of it has to do with the direction the manufacturers decided to go...what they had already invested in and path of least resistance.

With the 2008 crash/bailouts i'm guessing R&D wasn't their biggest priority. And then you have the lobbies doing their work in the background, it only makes sense that this market wasn't in their biggest interest.
And look at us now, we're all in SUVs and trucks and bigger cars in North America which is the anti-thesis of lightweight electric vehicles. There was another long term plan to remove most sedans and compact segment (at least from the north american point of view) and that doesnt go hand in hand with bigger is better North America.

@crankcall With all the regulations being "signaled" of moving away from petrol, developers can't just sit idle. I totally get that the tech or standards can change (i mean just look at USB in the last 10-15 years) but implementing charging methods from scratch might be costlier if you have to run all the wiring vs having at least "something" in place that you can retrofit.

We're seeing it with our our road infrastructure (re: better transit and alternate methods are needed to accommodate densification), we saw it with the huge switch over to WFH (those that had scalable infrastructure faired better than other ones who were left scrambling for a while), etc etc...
But that kind of risk i think isn't really the responsibility of the developers as when they've built and things are sold they're in the clear.

I don't like the made up reasoning and political push to phase out ICE and get everyone into EVs.

However, one of EEs videos on EVs brought up a lot of good points.
We as a society are used to ICE so the switch to EV everyone only sees the negatives.
Imagine we had started with EVs and someone tried to sell you an ICE vehicle. (not as a performance or enthusiast vehicle but transport)

You go from a quiet, efficient, smooth, lag-free, mechanically simple vehicle with very minimal maintenance where you plug in when you get home to a:
Noisy, jerky (gearshifts), inefficient (heat), delayed throttle responding car where you need to randomly search for a gas station (whenever low) adding time to a trip. Not to mention how complicated an ICE is with all the accessories and corresponding maintenance.

On the performance/enthusiast side, EVs are way faster than ICE can be at least in a straight line the Plaid is showing us that. But, in a pretty boring way.

If GM hadn't killed the EV in the 90s, we could be in a different world today.

I don't like the made up reasoning and political push to phase out ICE and get everyone into EVs.

However, one of EEs videos on EVs brought up a lot of good points.
We as a society are used to ICE so the switch to EV everyone only sees the negatives.
Imagine we had started with EVs and someone tried to sell you an ICE vehicle. (not as a performance or enthusiast vehicle but transport)

You go from a quiet, efficient, smooth, lag-free, mechanically simple vehicle with very minimal maintenance where you plug in when you get home to a:
Noisy, jerky (gearshifts), inefficient (heat), delayed throttle responding car where you need to randomly search for a gas station (whenever low) adding time to a trip. Not to mention how complicated an ICE is with all the accessories and corresponding maintenance.

On the performance/enthusiast side, EVs are way faster than ICE can be at least in a straight line the Plaid is showing us that. But, in a pretty boring way.

If GM hadn't killed the EV in the 90s, we could be in a different world today.
I agree with you, but what about the braaap?

I agree with you, but what about the braaap?
If we are talking about four wheel vehicles, the vast majority sound like crap anyway. Silence is better than a farty car. Similar argument applies for many bikes but a far lower percentage. Also, for those off-road, if you are quiet, the cop around the corner may not hear you coming and won't have the gun up and waiting when you come around the corner. That gives you a fighting chance. The rider giving an ICE bike the beans gives the cops minutes of notice to get ready for a juicy ticket.

If we are talking about four wheel vehicles, the vast majority sound like crap anyway. Silence is better than a farty car. Similar argument applies for many bikes but a far lower percentage. Also, for those off-road, if you are quiet, the cop around the corner may not hear you coming and won't have the gun up and waiting when you come around the corner. That gives you a fighting chance. The rider giving an ICE bike the beans gives the cops minutes of notice to get ready for a juicy ticket.
The parking lot redlining motorcycle community will be disappointed to read your comment :p

Worth a watch.

they blew it big time. if only they had a "visionary" like Musk or Jobs, they'd be sitting pretty right now if they kept developing the EV1

It was absolutely ahead of its time, but the muppets at GM had other ideas....
Holy crap! I always liked the idea of a series hybrid as a way to resurrect turbine powerplants for cars, but I never knew before that GM actually built one! EV1 series hybrid

Back
Top Bottom