How Arai Makes Motorcycle Helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Arai Makes Motorcycle Helmets

beverage

Last edited:
I looked into other helmets and even wore Shoei for a while, but after researching and trying on every helmet I could find, I got an Arai. Sure the purchase price hurt, but it's way more quiet and comfortable than any others. The long oval fit my head perfectly.

Be careful, this article contradicts other articles about Arai:
"Painting your helmet will ruin it… Again, not true. If you choose to use a plastic helmet, then you may well have an issue, but the materials used to make any Arai helmet are unaffected by custom painting."

This really needs to be qualified. The EPS liners in Arais or any other helmet cannot stand up to typical paint solvents, and have to be disassembled to remove the liners, or sealed up before painting in a booth with very active ventilation. Pretty irresponsible to let people think they can have at it in their garage with a rattle can of Krylon.

These are good quality helmets, but there are many good quality helmets. Arai spends a fortune on advertising and marketing, which is passed on to the customers, but in all that marketing by AGV, Shoei, Arai, Schuberth, you will never see them say their helmets are safer than a $100 polycarbonate helmet.

Good points. The solvents in spray paint are brutal. The good thing is that arai liners will come out. (I don't know about others). You can also use the clear, disposable drop sheets to cover the hard foam inside the shell. The problems arise when any solvent hits plastic/foam. It just messes with it. The exception is HDPE.

Regardless, you have to choose the right fit or you'll have $1000 worth of $h!t on your head.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom