Houston we have a clutch problem! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Houston we have a clutch problem!

sburns

Well this happened today....

cable broken.jpg

Yes this is my clutch handle with and the clutch cable snapped at the grip.

I think I was lucky. I just gas'd up ready to jump onto the 401 east when pulling out of the station I felt a snap at the handle. Felt more like the grip got snagged someplace (possible it wasn't fully detached) but a second pull it fully came loose. I was only in 1st and no cars so I kept it from stalling and rolled into a strip plaza, parked and was able to put it into neutral. Whew.....!

My clutch issues started last year. This thread

Where I wasn't able to keep the clutch adjustment for more then a few weeks. It again started this year. I investigated some more into this and discovered my throw bearing at the end of the push rod assembly was disintegrated, and the push rod was fused to the oil spinner.

Throw bearing assembly, old left, new right
throw bearing.jpg

Push rod, old top, was fused to oil spinner, I snapped apart, below new parts.
pushrod assembly.jpg

I already suspected maybe I should replace the cable anyhow and was inquiring with HD about parts.
The challenge of this, my bike being a ex police bike, the cable is more expensive, but HD can't tell me what the difference is between it and the civilian model. Nadda no idea, unbelievable 🙄 . for reference the police cable is $145 and the civilian is like $80.

Anyhow it's probably going to be about 2 weeks before I can get back on the road, as they have to order in the part etc.

When I replaced the throw bearing the clutch did finally started to keep it's adjustment. Now I believe between it and possibly stretched cable this could have been the issue all along, hopefully this will be the end of it. I still haven't replaced the clutch plates not sure if I will with the new cable, maybe later.

My only other concern is where the cable snapped at the handle and if I should worry it was binding someplace, or this is kinda common place for a break?

Sorry to hear about the mishap and the shocking price difference in cables (even though as you say the material and gauge of the wire is the same).
In my experience, when the snap off happens, it is most likely to happen at the lever where the wire is joined to the metal holder (that inserts into the lever).

Sorry to hear about the mishap and the shocking price difference in cables (even though as you say the material and gauge of the wire is the same).
In my experience, when the snap off happens, it is most likely to happen at the lever where the wire is joined to the metal holder (that inserts into the lever).
All good, I suppose it happens to most riders. My time was up.
Seems it coincides with my break, so kinda good to hear that news. (y) Will be less worried when I put it back together.

Maybe Motion Pro can help you out with a cable - Parts Canada carries them.

Thanks, I've been through, forums, vendor sites etc trying to nail this down. I can figure out the length of the civilian models and part numbers, just not the police version length. When I look at the part photos the black vinyl is from top to bottom of the cable, but when I look at my bike from the adjuster to the transmission it is braided. I am thinking this is one difference. The other might be the length, it could be slightly different to get around stuff in the fairing (police gear, even if it is not present now) etc.

I'm going to call another dealer and see if they can assist me better, otherwise I will just bite the bullet and get the police version from HD.

Glad to hear this didnt happen on the highway.
How did you manage to get it back home?

Here's to hoping for a speedy fix - hopefully you won't have to special order something like this...

Glad to hear this didnt happen on the highway.
How did you manage to get it back home?

Here's to hoping for a speedy fix - hopefully you won't have to special order something like this...
Oh shoot I forgot to mention, the other part of being lucky, I was only about 3 k from home when I gas'd up and it broke. Just called CAA, and had someone pick me up (CAA won't let you ride with them). CAA got there pretty quick as well (30 min), since it was early I guess.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were the same part -- different price.

This used to drive me nuts with my wife's Lexus - it shared a lot of parts with the Camry. A brake caliper bought the parts from an auto parts store used the same part number and cost the same, about $100 each. At the dealer, the Camry part would be $150, put it in a Lexus box and it's $250.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were the same part -- different price.

This used to drive me nuts with my wife's Lexus - it shared a lot of parts with the Camry. A brake caliper bought the parts from an auto parts store used the same part number and cost the same, about $100 each. At the dealer, the Camry part would be $150, put it in a Lexus box and it's $250.
VAG does the same thing with VW and Audi parts. Some get used in Lambo too so I suspect if you picked them up from that parts counter you'd be at a third pricing tier for the same part (and probably a fourth tier for the same part in a Bugatti).

I would ask at the police motor lot. What could go wrong?
I going to call Barrie HD with the hope they service OPP out of Orilla, and might have a clue about service bikes.

Mackies, they are ok but they become weird/dodgy when you ask about part # and specifics, it's annoying AF.

Last edited:
Update:

Called Barrie HD this morning and got some better service. They admitted HD doesn't like to give out some info but they wanted to find out the difference between cables. They confirmed the lengths were the same, and had the civilian cable in stock! (y) Saved me $60. I looked at my cable again and noticed the braided part is just a sleeve I can reuse it.

As for cable lube here is what I have been using
cable life.jpg

Would this be ok or should I use something else?

That should be fine. Something i have always done with cable operated clutches is to but a spare and zip tie it beside the one installed. That way you will never need it.
Thanks
Could you explain the zip tie thing, it escapes me what the intent is for?

That way it's already routed along the same way as the one in use is, if anything happens you just disconnect the ends from the old one and connect the 2 ends and away you go.
This.

FFS! Argh...!

So I got the clutch cable today, it's the correct length, all good. Sit down to put it all back together and the cable won't screw back into the transmission cover. Looks like it's stripped somehow. I've never taken that apart until now. Even the old part won't go back in. The first few threads are gone... :mad: How does it strip unscrewing it, I thought you could only do that when you screw it in, it's f'd anyway.

Ordered a new cover from F9. :(

FFS! Argh...!

So I got the clutch cable today, it's the correct length, all good. Sit down to put it all back together and the cable won't screw back into the transmission cover. Looks like it's stripped somehow. I've never taken that apart until now. Even the old part won't go back in. The first few threads are gone... :mad: How does it strip unscrewing it, I thought you could only do that when you screw it in, it's f'd anyway.

Ordered a new cover from F9. :(
Galled or corroded threads can strip on the way out. Bad luck.

Galled or corroded threads can strip on the way out. Bad luck.
I think they were cross threaded or something before I got to it. I watched a YouTube on this, and apparently it is quite common, and as shown in the video it should be very easy to screw into it.... but ya bad f'ing luck...:confused:

OK I should update this thread.

I did replace the clutch cable a while ago. But I wanted to see how things went before saying "it's fixed"! Because of all the annoying clutch issues.

Now that I have done the replacement, it must have been the problem all along. Possibly stretched. The clutch felt totally different and held it's adjustment. But since that initial install the clutch as moved slightly, everything shifts fine, and neutral is ok, and no creeping etc. Overall much much better. I am due for another adjustment hopefully with how things have been going it should be ok.

Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom