Horrible experience with Sena 30k | GTAMotorcycle.com

Horrible experience with Sena 30k

itsme

I hate long posts! So try to keep it short.
This season switched to 30k (after riding 25,000+km in 2 seasons with cheap Chinese communicator) because:
  1. more than 2 riders talk at the same time
  2. hear navigator directions while talking
Experience (after riding 4000km):
  1. Bluetooth connection between riders is useless due to horrible range and noise (compared to Chinese cheap units!).
  2. Bluetooth works only for 2 people. Good luck setting it up for 3. And after first phone ring on one of the rider's phone, everyone should pull over to reconnect devices!
  3. Mesh intercom is the only usable way to go (even for 2 riders). But range is like half of cheap Chinese Bluetooth. Overall, mesh has good sound quality and is usable.
  4. Not waterproof in any way (one unit was filled with water after getting cough in first rain!)
  5. One unit had faulty Mesh intercom and after weeks of posing and receiving messages, pictures, videos with Sena's Customer service, was replaced by Sena
  6. Customer service needs to receive the unit, test, then send you back a "working" one. Means you'll pay $25-$30 shipment and ride like one month without communication! We can't live without communication! So I had to buy another unit as backup!!!
  7. Newly bought unit drains battery. Means you don't ride for 2 days, device doesn't turn on!

I hate long posts! So try to keep it short.
This season switched to 30k (after riding 25,000+km in 2 seasons with cheap Chinese communicator) because:
  1. more than 2 riders talk at the same time
  2. hear navigator directions while talking
Experience (after riding 4000km):
  1. Bluetooth connection between riders is useless due to horrible range and noise (compared to Chinese cheap units!).
  2. Bluetooth works only for 2 people. Good luck setting it up for 3. And after first phone ring on one of the rider's phone, everyone should pull over to reconnect devices!
  3. Mesh intercom is the only usable way to go (even for 2 riders). But range is like half of cheap Chinese Bluetooth. Overall, mesh has good sound quality and is usable.
  4. Not waterproof in any way (one unit was filled with water after getting cough in first rain!)
  5. One unit had faulty Mesh intercom and after weeks of posing and receiving messages, pictures, videos with Sena's Customer service, was replaced by Sena
  6. Customer service needs to receive the unit, test, then send you back a "working" one. Means you'll pay $25-$30 shipment and ride like one month without communication! We can't live without communication! So I had to buy another unit as backup!!!
  7. Newly bought unit drains battery. Means you don't ride for 2 days, device doesn't turn on!

You don’t see too many bad reviews about the Sena communicator. I only have the SMH10 and have been using the same 2 units since 2013 to now and still have none of those issues you just described. I only use it with 2 people.

Did you buy the units brand new? If you did, I would say one of the benefits of buying locally would be that they will take care of everything for you. Hope it all works out for you.

You don’t see too many bad reviews about the Sena communicator. I only have the SMH10 and have been using the same 2 units since 2013 to now and still have none of those issues you just described. I only use it with 2 people.

Did you buy the units brand new? If you did, I would say one of the benefits of buying locally would be that they will take care of everything for you. Hope it all works out for you.
Everyone says up to 20s, everything was good with Sena. Yes, all brand new. Dual pack from GP Bikes. One form STG (I had lots of store credits to spend!). Last one (battery drain problem) from Amazon which I am turning back.

Everyone says up to 20s, everything was good with Sena. Yes, all brand new. Dual pack from GP Bikes. One form STG (I had lots of store credits to spend!). Last one (battery drain problem) from Amazon which I am turning back.

You are right about the newer models. I am sure GP Bikes would help you, if not, I would sure like to know about that.

I also had a very bad experience with Sena support. I bought 20S dual pack from GP Bikes and one unit's jog dial stopped working. GP Bikes refused to exchange the unit (it was about 3 months old), they said they can ship it to Sena on my behalf, but it would be much faster if I do that myself. So, I shipped the unit to Sena (paid $30) and in 3 weeks I got a replacement. Guess what? Sena shipped me SMH10 instead of 20S!!! When I called their customers support, they told me that I have to send the wrong unit back and pay for the return shipping!
Long story short, it took me 3 months and $60 to get the correct replacement.
This is my last Sena, never ever I'll give these morons any of my money!

Had my Uclear Amp Pro die on me near end of 2 year warranty last July. Uclear shipped me a replacement to my door in less than a week and never asked for my pooched unit back. That kind of service gets loyal customers.

It took numerous firmware updates to get the 20S to function properly, I suspect the same will be with the 30S.

Cardo is your friend. I have no issues with my Packtalk Bold. Also, having voice commands made my life easier when I'm on a hwy.

Even with my earplugs, I can hear music and talk without any issues.

Cardo is your friend. I have no issues with my Packtalk Bold. Also, having voice commands made my life easier when I'm on a hwy.

Even with my earplugs, I can hear music and talk without any issues.
Agree. My Cardo is 7 seasons old and still works like new. I get about 8 hours of radio play on a charge. The only negative is Cardo's website updater -- wonky I can only get it working with an older Windows 7 laptop.

Back
Top Bottom