Hopefully will become a new rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hopefully will become a new rider

ajax.911

Hi guys, just join the forum and I guess bikers community too. I am very new to motorcycles so any advice really appreciated.
I got my M1 and going for M2 weekend course next week. Never drove motorcycle before so very excited about it.

Very lost with the huge selection of bikes available on the market. I understand that on picture I like one bike but as I am newbie I would have to go with another one. So what would you advice here ? I was thinking after the course to rent a couple of models and see which one I like more ?
I will use motorcycle only for fun riding, no work commute or cruising long distances.

The big question, is it better to buy NEW bike but cheap model or used bike but more advanced model ? I know nothing about bikes my guess would be to buy new, but from my car experience it better to buy more expensive but used car compare to new but cheap models.

Hi guys, just join the forum and I guess bikers community too. I am very new to motorcycles so any advice really appreciated.
I got my M1 and going for M2 weekend course next week. Never drove motorcycle before so very excited about it.

Very lost with the huge selection of bikes available on the market. I understand that on picture I like one bike but as I am newbie I would have to go with another one. So what would you advice here ? I was thinking after the course to rent a couple of models and see which one I like more ?
I will use motorcycle only for fun riding, no work commute or cruising long distances.

The big question, is it better to buy NEW bike but cheap model or used bike but more advanced model ? I know nothing about bikes my guess would be to buy new, but from my car experience it better to buy more expensive but used car compare to new but cheap models.
The question with used as a first bike is how well you or a trusted friend knows motorcycle maintenance. Generally speaking, if you buy a quality used motorcycle, then there isn't too much you need to worry about. It is buying that quality well maintained motorcycle for a reasonable price that may be difficult.

Realistically any used motorcycle you buy that wasn't a midlife crisis regret special will need maybe $1000 in service and consumables on top of purchase price.

Then there are those who just flip used bikes. Constantly buying and selling where maintenance doesn't even factor in cause they just leave it to the next owner.

With a new model, do your research, do some more, and then research more again. If you "upgrade" within 5 years, you will lose your shirt. Any bike you buy new you better be comfortable with losing 75% of its purchase price when you sell.

Or you can be the meme and buy a gsxr1000 off the showroom floor cause you don't want to be bored after 1 week then realize that chicks don't care as you duck walk your crotch rocket and insurance brokers won't even respond to your emails and calls.

Sent from my SM-N960W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

For your first bike it's better to buy a used smaller displacement one. Being new you will make mistakes and some mistakes may cause you to drop or fall off your bike. It's better if it's used and maybe already has some previous damage so you`re not too upset if it happens.

This will also give you more time to ask questions/read and learn and decide what bike(s) you eventually want to own as you gain more experience.

Depending on who you are doing the m2 course with they should have a few different models to try. Take the opportunity to try different ones, you may be surprised how different they feel.

Good luck! Wear gear, ride safe.

Based on my experience - buy a used one. It is true that you might need to spend up to $1000 on top of the purchase price in many cases (brake pads, tires, oil change, spark plugs) but that really depends on the bike. Of course, the best case if you will get some mechanic to check the bike first. Some people on this forum can help you (depends on your location).

Like @Evoex said, if you buy a used one, then you will not lose so much value and you will not need to worry about minor damage which you can accidentally do it.

I did my M2 course with learning curves in Markham and they had a great selection of honda bikes of different types (cruiser, sport, naked and even a dirt bike). So, you might have a similar selection and opportunity to try different bikes.

Another reason for buying a used one - is that you don't know what you will like. You don't have experience and it might take some time before you will figure out what is important for you. Bikes are very different even inside one category, so with a used one you can try it for a year and then switch to a new one on the next season..

buy use. buy decent gear. read motorcycle books, twist of the wrist - keith code, total control - lee parks. find a parking lot and practice, practice, practice. also, just because you get a "beginner" bike doesn't mean your not gonna get messed up. Read the thread Why We Crash

Before you buy anything check with your insurance agent. Generally speaking, a small displacement cruiser-type (e.g. Yamaha XV250 Virago) is going to be the most affordable. However, if you're 16, lack a G license or any real history of insurance, don't have a house or other car insured or have a history of moving violations, insurance on even the small, benign machines may be out of reach.

Check before handing over any cash or signing anything...

You can't generally rent motorcycles so you're going to need to try a few different models at your M2 exit course. Most courses have a selection of cruisers, standards and dirtbikes.

If you don't plan to do highway travelling, you might consider a small dualsport. They are the cheapest to insure and dirt cheap to maintain and easy to ride. You can run on the street, dirt roads and some light off road tracks too. The dirt and offroad experience on a small bike is invaluable, it's a comfortable level of challenge, speed and danger - dirt riding also helps prepare you for unpredictable street conditions. Every great street rider I know learned a lot from playing on the road and in the dirt. Try DRZ200, TW 200, XT225.

If you prefer sport bikes, the best are Ninja 250's or Honda CBR250.

If you like cruisers, a Vstar / Virago 250 or Honda Rebel are the top 2.

Call a Wawanesa insurance broker, they are probably the cheapest. Give them a list of bikes and ask them to quote you before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom