Hondas | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hondas

Shaman

Parting out my friend's '05 CBR 1000RR (many parts available) for him today, I am once again struck by the realisation that Honda uses about 3x more bolts and fiddly little pieces to do *everything* as compared to Suzuki. This has been the same right back to my dirtbike days of the 80s.

Oh and Honda uses two pod filter type filters in the airbox, and charges roughly double what Suzuki charges for their single, much larger filter. No wonder the 05 Suzuki would *STOMP* an 05 Honda in a drag race, just based on the size of the airbox and the flow available it's obvious.

And there's two fuel rails (it appears, anyways, the second one is below the airbox). On a bike that makes peak power just over 10,000 RPM. Why...

I will admit the bike worked well, though. It sure highsided him hard enough...

First dibs on the pilot seat! Please PM with the price and where I can pick it up.

EDIT: Crap, I don't know if the seat is the same between the 1000RR and 600RR... I need one for an '05 600RR.

Front seat is good, rear seat not so much. :)

I really don't know whether it's compatible or not, I will see if my buddy with both knows.

I have some examples of Honda's insanity:

Computer on right hand side in front of the radiator where it is right in the worst spot for a crash. On the left side, a fuse box and a... rectifier maybe? is right there too. Switchgear wiring is hugely complex. There are two crossover blocks on the front brake lines. Two spacers and two washers on the rear axle, but no cotter pin to lock the nut. Trying to get to the head of this motor to check the valves has to be a 4 hour job, because of where the fuel rails are and the complexity of the gas tank / airbox and all the little wire guides there are everywhere. There must be five major ground points on the frame. One or two just aren't enough, I guess.

Ugh. What a pain in the groin.

Last edited:
First dibs on the pilot seat! Please PM with the price and where I can pick it up.

EDIT: Crap, I don't know if the seat is the same between the 1000RR and 600RR... I need one for an '05 600RR.

If you go to some place like bikebandit . Com (a U.S. Site) you can look up OEM part #'s & prices. I forget any CDN site(s) right now. You could check the part # for the 600 & 1000.

I hate the way Honda secures their bodywork together, particularly on some of their later models. You can remove every screw you can see, and be no closer to having it apart. Too many tabs, too many clips, often hidden from view and hard to reach. And often you have to take apart EVERYthing in order to do ANYthing.

On some of their later models (VFR, new CBR125 and CBR250 come to mind) they've taken great pains to minimize the number of screws that are visible. That's fine for making a slick looking bike. It's not fine when you have to do something underneath all that bodywork.

Having said that, ALL of the later model supersport bikes are a pain to work on. Too much stuff sharing not enough space. Some are worse than others. My ZX10R requires a lot of the bodywork to come off in order to do anything, too, but at least it's a mostly intuitive job: Remove screws, remove panel. Remove more screws, remove more panels. Undo a couple of plugs and remove a few more screws, remove the entire upper fairing and headlight and instrument cluster etc as a complete assembly, and you don't have to bend plastic bits way out of whack in order to make this happen, either.

Getting the valve cover of my zx10 was a pain the first time since the frame runs right over top of it.

Big Red doesn't care much about ease of maintenance , but fortunately their bikes rarely need any ! Sad day , just removed batteries from my Shadow and RC51 and covered them for hibernation 'cause salt/sand applied to local roads yesterday .

Helped Chinto put a ninja 250 back together after he painted it. Neither one of us were the ones who took it apart, but I think it took 3 tries to get it back together. The 2nd time all the bodywork went on perfect and when I went to attach the mirrors that's when I discovered that they go on first, THEN the body work.

Every bike should come with race bodywork and dzus fasteners

Did a highside on my Honda.
Went to the wrecker, bought $100 worth of parts.
Was good to go in a couple of hours, after soaking in ice.

Clutch went on my Suzuki. Waited over 2 months for parts. Hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom