Hondalock 2 Threadlocker Medium Strength | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hondalock 2 Threadlocker Medium Strength

ReSTored

My Loctite Blue threadlocker was getting low and I purchased a 10cc bottle of Hondalock 2 Threadlocker Medium Strength about 6 months ago on the presumption is was essentially the same thing. However, I did look up the Hondalocker earlier today (which I acknowledge I should have done before I purchased it) and see that Hondalock is not exactly the same as Loctite.

HondaLOCK​

Hondalock 1 – Low-strength, blue colored threadlock for frequently removed and/or low-torque fasteners. Protects against corrosion and wear. Resists vibration, moisture and most chemicals.
Hondalock 2 – Medium-strength, orange-colored threadlock for medium- torque fasteners.
Hondalock 2HT – High-temperature, red-colored threadlock for medium-torque fasteners in high-temperature applications such as cylinder head exhaust studs.
Hondalock 3 – High-strength, green colored threadlock for semipermanent and or high-torque fasteners. Helps retain gears, bearings and pulleys to their shafts.

As I read the above is seems that while the verbiage is not identical the Hondalock 1 is for frequently removed and/or low-torque fasteners and the Hondalock 2 (the stuff I purchased) is similar to #1, but for higher torque fasteners i.e. frequently removed and/or medium-torque fasteners.

I'm going to be using this for caliper bolts at about 25 ft. lbs. Based on above would the Hondalock 2 be OK?

As an aside to above I've always understood that Loctite blue was non permanent and Loctite red was permanent. I've never seen any qualifier or distinction between low, medium or high torque fasteners. Is Honda making it more complicated than it needs to be or are the various Honda threadlockers products better than the seemingly more generic Loctite ones?

You'll be fine
Is Honda making it more complicated than it needs to be or are the various Honda threadlockers products better than the seemingly more generic Loctite ones?

There is actually dozens of types of Loctite
Green, Blue, Red, or Purple... and each of those have sub groups for size of the fastener, metal or plastic, etc etc etc
They actually make sense if you learn the numbers

I think your Honda2 is equivalent to 243

never heard of the orange, other than a gasket maker
blue is regular strength
red is high strength, can still be removed with quality tooling and heat may be required
green I've only seen as a retaining compound for bearings, seals etc, not normally used on bolts

I'd feel safe going out on a limb and say that Honda does not make threadlocker compounds
it'll be either loctite or permatex in Honda bottle

would def not be using red on caliper bolts
blue would be fine for retention and to keep the threads from rusting
find your wet torque spec and you'll be fine

Back
Top Bottom