Honda shadow spoke rim truing. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda shadow spoke rim truing.

So i take the tire back to snow city in Scarborough and the guy spins in on the balancer and re balances it and says it good now. I told him your dreaming but insists tires are never bad. Man thats the last I use them. Heavy Duty cycles in Scarborough can true spoke wheels and thats where the bike will go to get checked. Rim is not off as much as the tire but might as well true it while im at it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

So i take the tire back to snow city in Scarborough and the guy spins in on the balancer and re balances it and says it good now. I told him your dreaming but insists tires are never bad. Man thats the last I use them. Heavy Duty cycles in Scarborough can true spoke wheels and thats where the bike will go to get checked. Rim is not off as much as the tire but might as well true it while im at it.

I go by feel not look, but I have had similar pushback from a store after getting a crap tire mounting job. It didn't vibrate really badly until above legal speeds so they tried to argue it was my problem not theirs. They did the song and dance about "if we don't find a problem you have to pay for our time". Well, they re-balanced it and the problem was fixed. Not sure what happened the first time.

I go by feel not look, but I have had similar pushback from a store after getting a crap tire mounting job. It didn't vibrate really badly until above legal speeds so they tried to argue it was my problem not theirs. They did the song and dance about "if we don't find a problem you have to pay for our time". Well, they re-balanced it and the problem was fixed. Not sure what happened the first time.

Yes well at 100km it feels like your riding on tar snakes lol. I wont waste much time with them. A few burnouts will round it up hahaha. Bike will gone in a few years with the km i drive anyways.

I don't mind truing rims unless the nipples are seized, that can be a pain in the nuts.
Sometimes it's all in what spokes you loosen and not all tightening, sucks to break a spoke :/ they are hard to replace.
Still prefer them to mags.

I don't see much wrong with that rim. I see a defective tire. Get a set of calipers and measure. Any warranty on that tire?

Just got the tire but snow city mechanic insists its not the tire. Im sick of them. He says it may be my drive shaft. Such morons. Im taking to a shop that can true the rim if needed and will see what they say.

I have never needed to true a rim on a roadbike -- I have 5 street bikes in the garage 4 of them are over 45 years old. All have led exciting lives and been ridden like they were stolen -- the wheels are as true today as the day they were delivered. I have seen owners mess up their wheels by playing with spokes.

It's pretty easy to check 'true' while the wheel is on the bike. Put it on the center stand, slowly spin the wheel and measure the distance from swingarm to rim lip and from the ground to the rim lip. Then do same at the widest point on the sidewall. If the wheel or tire is out, it will be simple to see.

One final note,
exedra max
There are 2 versions of the 160/80-15, a W and TL. I believe W it's the one designed for your bike (see of the rim is marked WM only the W tire will work correctly). The TL version is designed for tubeless application, the bead will not lock hard to the rim and the ribs inside the tire will grip a tube which can cause the tube to fail and the tire to distort.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom