Honda shadow spoke rim truing. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda shadow spoke rim truing.

blu600

Site Supporter
Hey everyone i have a 2010 honda shadow phantom and after getting new tires the vibrations got worse but when i put my bike on a stand and ran it I saw the back rim is out of balance so the spokes need to be tuned. Anyone know of someone that fixes rims? I know how and have the tools but no mounting machine to remove and instal the tire again. Any recommendations are welcome. I also think the tire is out as well but want to deal with the rim first

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Small point, if it is out of balance that is corrected with wheel weights,
but if it is out of true you adjust that at the spokes, or the rim could actually be dented or deformed.
and yes if the rim is not right the tire will never be right.
or - did they not set the bead on your tire properly.

As for a mounting machine to change tires, most people just use tire irons and attack it,
some have nice stands to make the irons easier to work with
and if your rim is crushed inward just slightly on the side of the rim in only one place then somebody might have done a very bad job of breaking the bead on removing the old tire.

Interesting..never knew the term truing until now..

95cbf194489e4fc9a679c8ecbe135ae8.jpg

Maybe try calling a few places to see if they offer such a service?

Pro6Cycle, StudioCycle or PowersportsTO?
This place popped up in my search..but located in London: Spokes & Wheels • Wolfe Worx Motorcycle & Machine

Small point, if it is out of balance that is corrected with wheel weights,
but if it is out of true you adjust that at the spokes, or the rim could actually be dented or deformed.
and yes if the rim is not right the tire will never be right.
or - did they not set the bead on your tire properly.

As for a mounting machine to change tires, most people just use tire irons and attack it,
some have nice stands to make the irons easier to work with
and if your rim is crushed inward just slightly on the side of the rim in only one place then somebody might have done a very bad job of breaking the bead on removing the old tire.

Balancing i know and they did it. There doesnt seem to be any damage from breaking the bead as my rims are painted and would ave shown. It was slightly off before but with the tire is slightly defective as it wobbles more than the rim does but i blame some good pot holes i couldn’t avoid.

You don't have to remove the tire to true the rim - just deflate it.

Balancing i know and they did it. There doesnt seem to be any damage from breaking the bead as my rims are painted and would ave shown. It was slightly off before but with the tire is slightly defective as it wobbles more than the rim does but i blame some good pot holes i couldn’t avoid.
Don't try to make the tire straight by adjusting the rim out of true if that is what you are thinking :| Only way a pothole will cause damage or imbalance to your tire and rim is if the tire pressure was so low that you ran out of tire sidewall when you hit an immovable object and it bent your rim. Bumps can't hurt the tire :/ it's cured rubber and has an amazing ability to return to its original cured shape. If the tire wobbles and is out of balance now but the rim is not damaged, let the air out of the tire, spin or reposition it on the rim somewhere else and then reinflate. Naturally you might need a rebalance after that, or if you get infinitely lucky the tire will bead better this time and not even need balance weights.

One more thing to check: If your tire wobbles and the rim does not, your tire is not properly beaded. Did they try to squeeze a tubeless type tire on a tube type rim?

One more thing to check: If your tire wobbles and the rim does not, your tire is not properly beaded. Did they try to squeeze a tubeless type tire on a tube type rim?

Yes the bike a tubles on the rear before and it wasnt as bad bud old so they replaced it with a new exedra max bias ply and told me it didnt matter and it worked for tube or tubless.

Yes the bike a tubles on the rear before and it wasnt as bad bud old so they replaced it with a new exedra max bias ply and told me it didnt matter and it worked for tube or tubless.
Well all I can say to that is; if you try to put a tubeless radial rear tire on a TY175, which has rims designed for a completely different tire bead profile, you will need to use a sharp blade to carve away some bead rubber, or the bead will never completely set before breaking the steel wire inside the bead of the tire. Completely different bike and tire so ymmv.

I have had very good luck with having a local bicycle shop true up my spoked rims. They have all the tools and did it very fast and very cheaply. I believe you will need to have the tire off though.

(y) very hard to successfully work in a bicycle shop and not know how to true a rim like a pro.
best effort he can do without taking the tire completely of is to try and re-set the bead.

Is there a red or yellow circle dot stamped on the tire sidewall and does that line up anywhere near the valve stem?
... it's suppose to!

(y) very hard to successfully work in a bicycle shop and not know how to true a rim like a pro.
best effort he can do without taking the tire completely of is to try and re-set the bead.

Is there a red or yellow circle dot stamped on the tire sidewall and does that line up anywhere near the valve stem?
... it's suppose to!

Yea circles match the stems. Im not the original owner and id did shake slightly with old tires. The shop just teplaced what was there

Don't try to make the tire straight by adjusting the rim out of true if that is what you are thinking :| Only way a pothole will cause damage or imbalance to your tire and rim is if the tire pressure was so low that you ran out of tire sidewall when you hit an immovable object and it bent your rim. Bumps can't hurt the tire :/ it's cured rubber and has an amazing ability to return to its original cured shape. If the tire wobbles and is out of balance now but the rim is not damaged, let the air out of the tire, spin or reposition it on the rim somewhere else and then reinflate. Naturally you might need a rebalance after that, or if you get infinitely lucky the tire will bead better this time and not even need balance weights.

Thanks so much for all the help. Do you think if i let the air out enough to roll the bike back and forth then inflate it that it might help?

... it's suppose to!

You would be surprised how many I called that dont do spoke rims. Baffles me for sure. I have dial imdicator and may have to just deflate it and do it myself if i dont find someone

Does it look like it is on the bead in all the spots?
or does it have a wobble on one side and the bead seam does not absolutely look round to the rim in that spot?
Hopefully it is just the tire give it a serious close inspection.

Honestly, wouldn't touch the spokes unless you pull the tire, check the bead for damage, it's a dirty brute force and ignorance job but it's the only way you are gong to get good results on the spokes. imho with rims sometimes you get lucky and it does not take much work, other times it's pure frustration. dial indicator is good, now you need to rig a stand or find a way to do it on the bike (y)

To check for proper bead seating,remove the valve stem and pump the tire up to about 60 or 70 psi.If it wasn't seated,you will hear it pop into place.

Oh ya, that needs to be addressed, that much shake will make you need to pee a lot.

Back
Top Bottom