Honda NC750 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda NC750

Merkid

Has anyone bought or heard of how good these models are?

I find them interesting for dual purpose applications and hope to see one close up at next months Bike Show.

I haven't ridden one. On paper, I don't like it. 54 hp and 7,500 rpm would not make me happy. Less than 1000 cc and I want a five digit redline.

My buddy had the NC750XA DCT and I think I rode it more often than he did.

Good bike, boring, and seems fairly underpowered. It goes, but with a low redline it doesn't have that thrill feeling to it. I tried to buy it off him for 6k but he ended up selling it to a dealer for $6300. Bastard.

Overall it was a decent experience and I'm surprised as to how much I enjoyed the DCT on the bike. Put it into manual mode for normal riding, and once I hit 401 traffic I switched it to automatic and it was a really good experience.

I was a little bummed that he didn't sell it to me, but the 500X I have is basically the same bike just a tad slower.

I find them interesting for dual purpose applications and hope to see one close up at next months Bike Show.
About the only redeeming feature I can think of is they are really good on fuel. I've heard riders getting 3.2l/100km on leisurely cruises. That's about 50% better than a Vstrom 650.

Like many Hondas, the bike's performance is neutered -- Honda exchanged balls for long-term dependability and great fuel mileage. It's probably why you don't see many of them here, they are way more popular in places like England where the riding season is long and fuel costs $2.50/l.

I was curious about these(bigger displacement than the cb500x, frunk(aka front trunk), but after doing some basic research it turns out they're more boring than vstroms

But they're very popular with courier/mailman types in england, for good fuel mileage and superb reliability, presumably things you care about if you use 2 wheels to make a living

Kid and I rode the earlier 7xx series with a hard cut off at 6800 rpm and it was horrid. We both agreed worst demo ride we'd taken. The CB500x at least will wind out to 8500 rpm. Good fuel mileage and it's agile ...no thrill in the throttle...very stable at speed. Long range from the fuel tank. Buddy bought one here to tart up for the OCR.

Eamonn mentioned here is my riding buddy. He broke his KLR frame in 2018.

One of his more embarrassing moments

As we approached the halfway mark Eamonn who had been in front with Denis was pulled over to the side of the road and was in the process of removing the tank etc to try and determine what had caused his KLR to suddenly stop
:confused
. Finding the plug slightly loose we thought that the problem may have been found and once the tank was refitted the bike fire back into life. All was good!!! or NOT ....
:happay

[IMG]

No it wasn’t ……. as a further 20 kms down the road the same thing happened.
:dunno
This time we pulled everything off and even dismantled the carby finding a little bit of gunk that perhaps could have been blocking a jet as it floated around. Problem solved!!! so refitted everything and reloaded the bike. One again the bike fired up however this time the bike didn’t get much more than a km
:scratch
, so Phil and the BMW were pressed into service as a towing vehicle and towed the bike to Mayne River where we had camped previously.

It was here that we continued to try and isolate the problem and considered other available options including having my son come out with a trailer to pick up Eamonn and the bike. At one point the enquiry was made “have we tried turning the fuel tap to reserve as one of the options?”
:fpalm
After doing this a short run up the road confirmed this seemed to be the solution
:lol3
. Not knowing for sure we if this in deed was the fix we decided to try and make our way to Stonehenge as it would be a shorter distance for any recovery effort should it still be needed.

During all this Denis had gone on ahead, oblivious to the fact that we had been delayed. At one point Phil had also got 20kms in front before realising we were not behind so clocked up an extra 60kms which meant he would be struggling for fuel even to reach Stonehenge
:eek7
. This together with Eamonn running out and borrowing some from my KLX saw Rex push on ahead to get some fuel and bring back – just in case. Rex found a property (Warbreccan) where he purchased 10 lts and was on his way back when Eamonn and I caught him at the turnoff. Topping up Eamonns KLR Rex headed back to find Phil who we later found out had stopped to get some warmer clothes on as night had fallen and it was quite cold.
I had a D'eauville for a while. Intriguing bike and I made money flipping it. NT700V. Okay solo tourer but lack of storage options made it less desirable - decent torque but too heavy. Shaft drive was nice. 65 HP on a heavy 566 lb bike made it less than spirited tho at least it had an 8500 rpm red line.
1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.tiff

Current crop has half a Jaz motor that Honda has flogged recently when they thought fuel mileage was important.

Last edited:
I had a NC 700 or was it a 750? ...it was so boring I can't even remember. I sunk a ton of money at it to "make it better" and in the end I threw in the towel and sold it. I have never hated a bike as much as I hated that one.

The tank was small and I felt like I was stopping for fuel more often. I could go on and on about its failings but I won't the list is pretty long.

Loved the frunk though....so there's that ...

I was on the fence originally when i was in the market for the cb500x...

But even though i wanted mostly a commuter i still wanted some fun so i chose the 500x

No regrets there. Definitely that one would be a better commuter due to storage space, might be great too for longer distance travel based on that.

Otherwise 500x is wayyyy more lively (for what it is)

Bit of a swiss army knife and really good fuel mileage. Handles well and stable at speed. No thrill at all twisting the wrist. The Vstrom 650 was more fun in the twists due to power availability. I think there are some tweaks

Back
Top Bottom