Honda CBX1000 vs CBX1100 - Different names for same bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CBX1000 vs CBX1100 - Different names for same bike?

unL33T

I'm trying to find some parts for my 1979 CBX. Some sites list parts for a CBX1000 and some for a CBX1100. As far as I can find via some Googling the CBX, CBX1000, CBX1050, and CBX1100 are actually all the same bike just people sometimes call it different things.

Is that correct or am I mistaken?

Actually for this particular part if I search on the manufacturer website for "CBX1000" parts nothing comes up but "CBX1100" does but the same part from a retailer's website is just listed as "CBX".

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find some parts for my 1979 CBX. Some sites list parts for a CBX1000 and some for a CBX1100. As far as I can find via some Googling the CBX, CBX1000, CBX1050, and CBX1100 are actually all the same bike just people sometimes call it different things.

Is that correct or am I mistaken?

Actually for this particular part if I search on the manufacturer website for "CBX1000" parts nothing comes up but "CBX1100" does but the same part from a retailer's website is just listed as "CBX".

Thanks.

nice ride. always heard them called cbx1000 or cbx1050- in canada. its possible euro folks called them 1100's. so basically Im no help to you. lol. just had to say,

awesome old bike.

Thanks. Glad I found out my Dad's friend likes to restore old Hondas for fun. Ended up needing way more work than I was prepared to do or have done if I had to pay full labor cost.

Needed tires; tank cleaned up and relined (did myself with a POR15 kit); carbs disassembled, cleaned, and idle needles replaced (could only find from Old School Carbs in the US); rear shocks (ordered from Tim's CBX in the US); fork seals; brake pistons (ordered from the UK); and a battery. At least so far.

It's the fork seals I'm after now. All Balls has a kit available but they list it as for the 1100 (even though FortNine sells the kit and they list it as just for "CBX").

Aren't they 35mm forks?
If so I have seals for you.
I'd have to get the guy working on it to verify.

Are fork seals universal just based on diameter? I guess that would make sense. I've never replaced them myself.

I'd have to get the guy working on it to verify.

Are fork seals universal just based on diameter? I guess that would make sense. I've never replaced them myself.
If you are not sourcing OEM parts: 3 critical measurements; outside diameter, inside diameter and height, all measurements will be in nice round millimetre numbers.

The retaining clips are sometimes harder to source, try not to destroy the old ones.

Are you replacing the slide bushings too or does it have them? I should think yes. They are even harder to source and get good ones.

Sorta
Generic by size
I think you need 35X48X11 or 35mm inside dia, 48mm outside, 11mm thick, two lips.

Johnny Bent has them in stock

The slider is still available, part #51415-469-003. I'd replace those too while you're in there.

I am looking at parts diagrams for that thing... does it have air forks? It looks like air forks.
SCRAP THE AIR FORKS. They're more or less impossible to tune.
There is a kit from Progressive for the early goldwing that would work on that bike.

Air forks aren't that bad... plus while I can't speak for unL33T, a CBX is one of the few bikes that are actually collectable and I wouldn't want to permanently modify the forks.

Again though, they worked well enough for me with an accurate pressure gauge and a wimpy bicycle pump. The wimpier the better

While a kit from Progressive would be nice at this point I'm just restoring it to stock rideable condition. Not concerned with tuning much of anything. The rear shocks I got were just OEM-style replacements as well even though there are better, much more expensive, options out there. I'd think the kit from Progressive is rather pricey?

I'll mention the sliders. I think the OEM parts are actually still available from Honda. Just figured I can probably get better for less with aftermarket. Maybe it's easier to just have him source the OEM parts for those from the Honda dealer across the street from him.

I started looking at the seals as he was also going to get the parts for the brakes but OEM parts were $600+ from the dealer while I can get quality aftermarket replacement for $250 online.

I got the bike for what I thought was a good deal. Not really interested in selling it until I've had a season or two to ride it. What would it be worth? I paid $2k for it and it's looking like it'll be about $1000 or so all in for the restoration.

The kit is heavier springs and more oil. Nothing permanent or visible. Air on oil springs work on paper, not so much in the real world. I've done a couple of Goldwings with the progressive kit and it is a big improvement.
The only place you will get the sliders is OEM.
Uhmmmm $250 for caliper kits? If you haven't bought them yet go see Gavin at Midwest Calipers, 416 751 3660. Those seals cost me a buck each(I probably have them). Or just give him the calipers and masters to rebuild.

The kit is heavier springs and more oil. Nothing permanent or visible. Air on oil springs work on paper, not so much in the real world. I've done a couple of Goldwings with the progressive kit and it is a big improvement.
The only place you will get the sliders is OEM.
Uhmmmm $250 for caliper kits? If you haven't bought them yet go see Gavin at Midwest Calipers, 416 751 3660. Those seals cost me a buck each(I probably have them). Or just give him the calipers and masters to rebuild.
I need new pistons for the brakes. Already purchased unfortunately. That was for all 3 (2 front 1 rear).

I've had a couple bikes with air forks. Adding air never worked well for me. You can simply not add any air pressure.

I think the 79 is 35mm - steve dick used gold wing forks on his 1050 sbk, they were the widest diameter bolt on he could find. pretty sure he won a sbk championship out west with a 1050.

hoping for pics sometime soon ..

While a kit from Progressive would be nice at this point I'm just restoring it to stock rideable condition. Not concerned with tuning much of anything. The rear shocks I got were just OEM-style replacements as well even though there are better, much more expensive, options out there. I'd think the kit from Progressive is rather pricey?

I'll mention the sliders. I think the OEM parts are actually still available from Honda. Just figured I can probably get better for less with aftermarket. Maybe it's easier to just have him source the OEM parts for those from the Honda dealer across the street from him.

I started looking at the seals as he was also going to get the parts for the brakes but OEM parts were $600+ from the dealer while I can get quality aftermarket replacement for $250 online.

I got the bike for what I thought was a good deal. Not really interested in selling it until I've had a season or two to ride it. What would it be worth? I paid $2k for it and it's looking like it'll be about $1000 or so all in for the restoration.

good good deal. 79 has the most collector value. was also the fastest year- cams were hotter than the later years.
a good running 79 cbx1050 in decent original shape could fetch 6-10 grand, imo.

Back
Top Bottom