Honda CBR 125r | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CBR 125r

I see a lot of people stating that you have to go in front of people to get around them. Has anybody ever tried going behind somebody to go around them? Anyways, the 125r is fine on the highway. Just keep to the slower lanes and don't expect to pass too many people.

Or you could just save up a bit extra and get the 250 and then you (most likely) won't get tired of it after one season, and you'll have a bit of passing power on the highway.

Either way, best of luck and hope to see you out there!

The CBR125r is a wonderful bike. I really enjoy mine and I believe it's a perfect "beginner" bike. Personally, I don't/won't ride on the highway, yet. However, I also don't have the need to do 125km/h on a motorcycle. Doing 80-90 is just fine for me.

As for insurance, your best bet would be to call around, get some quotes.

he's right, i ride 2008 cbr125r....and its great! its my first summer, great bike for my size! im not ready for highway nor do i have any interest on the highways, i live in scarborough and just recently i arranged a group ride and we rode to whitby gp bikes store WITHOUT the highway!

oh by the way, your price sounds real good deal! i got mine $2500 milage 1500km only. i went with TD meloche.

pm me if you do end up buying this bike....cuz so far i havent rod with any 125s as yet, haa!....doesnt it sound like im the slowest in the group?!?! nah! we r newbies, so no worries :>

I had the pleasure of test riding a 2008 Honda cbr125. It's awesome and so agile compared to its bigger siblings. Kawasaki Ninja 250r is another great bike.

For some real life, longer term opinions on the 125 give Brian P a shout, that bike has been down to the dragon and back plus many more kms and from what I can tell that bike is not used to putter around either.
Just keep in mind that at the end of the day it is still a 125cc bike, this has its disadvantages and advantages and for a new rider I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages....if you are a younger rider, insurance and gas mileage is the best compared to other bikes of larger displacement.

I ride a 600, but my girlfriend's sister has a 125 which I've ridden around on. It is fun! I love my bike but honestly, for short distances for some reason I feel like taking her 125 out. There's a sense of fun for me to bang through those gears and rip that throttle that I just can't do on the 600 (yet lol). The bike is light and you can move it around so easily (like pick it up to move it in the garage to squeeze in space). The only thing I don't like about it is I feel it is less comfortable than my bike.

I picked up a 125 as my first bike partly because anything higher scared the crap out of me and because it was incredibly cheap on gas, insurance etc.
I use it daily to commute from Ajax to Downtown Toronto - i used to take Kingston road at first but since my M2 it's all been highway riding.

There are times when I wish i had more power but 9 out of 10 its because I just want to go faster and nothing else. My closest friends joke around calling it the 'angry john deer lawn mower' but hey - its the most forgiving bike you can get your hands on if your new to riding as I am.

It's also pretty damn cheap to fix and the mechanics are so simple that even a non mechanical fellow like me has modded the crap out of it with help and great advice from the folks on this forum.

I'm heading into Racer 5 next year to learn some more - I will upgrade for my 2nd season depending on budget but chances are I may keep the 125 around for a 125cc race toy if I really get engaged after Racer5 school.

Definately not "everyone". I'm certainly not tired of riding mine. But then again, riding for me is not about being able to (or the desire to) ride well above the speed limit.

Its a perfectly capable bike. Perhaps the 'issues' with it are skill related :p I love the ones we teach with. They are sooo much fun. Not to mention cheap on gas and small enough to get around the city. Only disadvanage (which I can list off advantages for the same reason) is its size in the sense of easy to miss harder to spot. BUT that being said theres a guy who took a cbr125r for a cross country trip in the states. Look him up. Older guy trying to prove how tough that bike is. The only mods he did was to add gear and make it lighter (offset gear weight).

Well I'm not gonna race or do anything that requires a top speed bike
Theres a racing class for the cbr125rs. Look that up to. Gilligan went to a race he was telling me about. This chic was KILLING people on bigger bikes because the bike was small enough and nimble enough she cracked the throttle and didnt even have to slow down on corners whereas the bigger bikes had to break. The would pass them on every turn.

I called around a LOT - I just started riding this year too. I went with the ninja 250r and I love it. I haven't tried the CBR 125 however so I can't really help you in that section. As for insurance I can say that State Farm had the best rate for me. Jevco was looking to charge me 3600$ p year while State Farm settled on $1600.

I currently own and ride a CBR125r. Go for a 250. I'm 21yrs old and I grew tired of the bike and wanted bigger within a week easily, unfortunately, I'm stuck with it till next season :). That said, I was very confident riding, and learned very quick (not to toot my own horn). I Agree its the PERFECT starter bike, very forgiving. I've ridden on the 400 series highways with no problem at all, it does 110 no problem and can get up to 130 depending on wind, don't believe any stupid stories that it can't. The only thing it serious struggles with is large hills (in addition to bad wind). Its never a problem on the 400 series, but on country roads, it will slug down to 80-90kph (Not that you should be going past 80 anyway :rolleyes:)

Buy a used one, and re-sell it after a year is my advice if you're not getting a 250 right away. The re-sale value is amazing if you keep it in good shape. I'm the 4th owner, 16,000km, and I plan on getting at least 90% of the money back I spent on it when I re-sell.

At 18 insurance may be the deciding factor for you. there is also no requirement stating that you have to go on the 400 series highways more than required. I have a hard time paying a significant increase for insurance for just a little power. That is one reason I have a sport touring bike instead of a supersport.

when I got my M1 i would find ways to get places with out using the expressway. it often meant leaving 15 minutes earlier, but i ended up seeing some roads i never went down before, going to work was a pleasure. I've ridden a few CBR125s but haven't brought any of them up to highway speed, for a short zip around the GTA the seat isn't bad, but i wouldn't want to try going to halifax on the expressway.

Unless your parents are currently with state farm for their vehicles (with you listed as a secondary) you probably will not qualify with statefarm to have your bike insured by them as one of the requirements they have is 6 years having a Gx licence (used to be 5). At 18 the maximum you could have a G type licence is 2 years (this statement is for those reading the thread that are math challenged).

Having a parent listed as a secondary to get with Statefarm (you being the higher risk will be primary) may be an option how ever they will need to have an Mx class licence as well.

Another thing to consider is just waiting out your first year of being licenced. I know it sounds torturous but companies like Jevco give you credit for being licenced even if you don't have a bike (i don't know how that works for being a lower risk but they're the one's doing the math).

Last edited:
There are a lot more bikes out there than your CBR125 or 600. You know that, right?

Yep, I know you want what you want right now but look around for a cheap cb400 or something. You can ride that forbade few years before you move up to a 600. Insurance won't be bad either. It doesn't have be a CB. There are plenty of older 400cc bike. I.M.O. they are perfect starter bikes

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Yep, I know you want what you want right now but look around for a cheap cb400 or something. You can ride that forbade few years before you move up to a 600. Insurance won't be bad either. It doesn't have be a CB. There are plenty of older 400cc bike. I.M.O. they are perfect starter bikes

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

you know the OP is 18 right? insurance is going to be bad even on the cbr125

a friend of mine has a cb1 (400cc twin with gear driven cams) for sale at $2900, how ever an 18 year old will pay through the nose. give you an idea put your stats as an 18 year old rider that just got their m1 (and g1) in one of those online quotes. keep a defibrillator handy.

Back
Top Bottom