Hit & Run situation without a license plate number | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit & Run situation without a license plate number

ebi

Hi there,

how an insurance company will assess a situation in which the truck driver took off and the motorcycle crashed as a result of an accident which the truck was at fault (or appeared to be) . This happened on a one lane ramp where the car following the bike tries to take over in a one lane ramp and forces the bike to the gravel road where the bike goes down. No serious injuries due to low speed but significant damage to the bike.

will insurance company compensate the damages to the bike? There was no license plate noted, but several witnesses saw the accident.
From a police prospective the car is at fault by passing in a one lane road and forcing/hitting the bike, but does the insurance share the same veiw?

Appreciate any input from an expert. Ebi.

If what you say is correct, then this would be considered a not at fault accident (being ofrced off the road by a car).

But, you will be unable to make a claim under Section 5 (Unisured motorist coverage because the identity of the car driver and or owner are unknown, same goes for Section 6 DCPD). The only place you will be able to get coverage is if you have collision. Your claim would be subject to your deductible and would be rated not at fault (see my point above).

The OP never mentioned whether or not he made a report, however, he did state there were several witnesses.
True, but witnesses who saw the incident and stopped is not necessarily the same as witnesses who actually made themselves available to submnit witness statements to the police or an insurance company adjuster. I wonder how an insurance company would evaluate a claim of being run off the road without some form of backing documentation from an uninvolved third party witness.

True, but witnesses who saw the incident and stopped is not necessarily the same as witnesses who actually made themselves available to submnit witness statements to the police or an insurance company adjuster. I wonder how an insurance company would evaluate a claim of being run off the road without some form of backing documentation from an uninvolved third party witness.

They would be left with one piece of evidence on which to base their liability decision, that being the evidence of the customer who said he was "run off the road". If there were doubts about the valiadity of that persons evidence they may transfer the claim to someone well skilled in the art on interviewing to see what kind of information they develop in the course of that interview.

In other words, every guy who lays his bike down while doing a wheelie cannot simply claim they were run off the road and it's some unknown car driver who is to blame. Thos stories can often be flushed out during a well conducted interview.

If there were doubts about the valiadity of that persons evidence they may transfer the claim to someone well skilled in the art on interviewing to see what kind of information they develop in the course of that interview.

Torture-chamber.jpg

Again, it's assumptions on your part. The OP didn't give any information in his post as to whether a report was made or witnesses gave their info.... Perhaps the witnesses that stopped did give their names and numbers. In which case, it's a whole new ballgame and would be likely written off as a verified hit and run.

Forgive my ignorance as I have never had an accident before but how is a hit and run handled by insurance? I guess you choose to file a collision claim or not (depending on damage)? Is there any investigation into fault as far as premiums increasing or accident history?

This was answered above I think.

Forgive my ignorance as I have never had an accident before but how is a hit and run handled by insurance? I guess you choose to file a collision claim or not (depending on damage)? Is there any investigation into fault as far as premiums increasing or accident history?

Back
Top Bottom