Hit and run versus uninsured motorist | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit and run versus uninsured motorist

koorosh

Are both of these covered under comprehensive?

Or being hit by an uninsured motorist is covered under liability insurance.

Neither are covered under comprehensive.

Uninsured motorist coverage provides coverage if you're involved witn an "Uninsured Motorist" In such a case you can claim for Bodily Inury, Death and Property Damage (This covers your car, it's contents and their loss of use).

If you are involved in an an incident with an unidentified automobile you can only claim bodily injury or death.

An uninsured automobile is one where neither the owner of the car, or the operator have a liability insurance policy which covers the car. An unidentified automobile is one that is completely unindientified, i.e. a hit and run vehicle.

The max you can claim, in Ontario, is $200 000, which includes a maximum of $25000 for property damage. Claims are also subject to a $300 deductible.

Thank you for the insight. From your post, I understand that uninsured motorist accident is covered under liability.

But hit and run? I remember I was once involved in a hit and run accident with only liability insurance.

Was paid nothing.

Hit and Run = your screwed unless you get a plate #. Even if you have collision, not much they would do for you.

Hit and run is covered under collision. If you don't carry collision you get nothing. If you do carry collision they cover the repairs less your collision deductible and it is considered not at fault so your rates are not affected.

Hit and run is covered under collision. If you don't carry collision you get nothing. If you do carry collision they cover the repairs less your collision deductible and it is considered not at fault so your rates are not affected.

did not know that. I've always thought that they would ding you for it, if you dont have the other drivers info.

So basically comprehensive only covers theft, fire, ... but no body injury. :-(

Also worth a note.

You are required to purchase coverage for uninsured motorist. All ontario policies have it. They are subject to a $300 or $350 can't remember which deductible. The uninsured motorist must be identified.

Hit and Run is covered under collision. You are not at fault, but your deductible applies to deter fraud claims. A typicall insurer will also want you to report to police as another fraud deterent. You will be paying your deductible though

Cheers,

Also worth a note.

You are required to purchase coverage for uninsured motorist. All ontario policies have it. They are subject to a $300 or $350 can't remember which deductible. The uninsured motorist must be identified.

Hit and Run is covered under collision. You are not at fault, but your deductible applies to deter fraud claims. A typicall insurer will also want you to report to police as another fraud deterent. You will be paying your deductible though

Cheers,

I didnt think uninsured motorist coverage had a deductible.
also to add to it your coverage is limited to the ontario minimum of $200,000. anything over and above this you have to do the good ol' american way and use the court system.

I didnt think uninsured motorist coverage had a deductible.
also to add to it your coverage is limited to the ontario minimum of $200,000. anything over and above this you have to do the good ol' american way and use the court system.

For the property damage side there is indeed a deductible. I'm an insurance adjuster and I have had to explain it to people. (Not always easy).
The 200k limit is for tort damages under the BI section of policy. Because uninsured motoriest doesn't have insurer to go after you can pursue a first party claim against your insurer.

Just got the answer from TD:

Hit and run is covered under comprehensive with the deductible you have under the policy.

Uninsured motorist (identified) is covered under liability without any deductible.

Just got the answer from TD:

Hit and run is covered under comprehensive with the deductible you have under the policy.

Uninsured motorist (identified) is covered under liability without any deductible.

Completely wrong information.

I can't believe the erroneous information that circulates throughout the insurance industry.

For the right answer see my post above.

Back
Top Bottom