Hit and Run - No Plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit and Run - No Plate

Hi guys, last week I was hit in a parking lot by another driver who then left the scene. Because we were at relatively low speeds my bike is not majorly damaged in any way from what I can tell (though obviously it may be worse than it shows). The foot brake lever is bent right against the bike frame so it won’t move up or down and is just sort of stuck applying minor braking pressure to the rear. My fairings are a little scraped up but aren’t cracked or anything. Frame slider is bent badly, the ram air tubes are broken, my levers are a little messed up on the right, and there is a leak coming from somewhere. Not a big one, haven’t ran the bike since the accident and nothing has leaked since (it looks like oil, can’t figure out where it’s coming from though). I have video footage of the incident so it is clear that I was hit and they left. I also have witnesses and I made a police report immediately after. No serious injuries either. Anyways, my question is whether anyone here can tell me if it makes sense money wise to go through my insurance with this? My deductible is 1000$ and I only have liability coverage. I don’t have any of the other drivers info and it looks like it’s unlikely that he will be caught. Should I make a claim? Will they actually cover the damage? Or will I basically just be paying 1000$ out of my pocket for the deductible and then be left no better off. If I had to guess there’s probably a few hundred dollars worth of damage to the bike (though there are minor scrapes all over the bike and while I seriously doubt the frame is actually damaged I’ve heard they will scrap bikes for very minor damage). Any advice would be really appreciated, this week has sucked pretty bad so far so it would be nice to at least sort this part out.

If you only have liability coverage, you have no claim to make, unless the other driver is identified.

Fix it yourself and move along - going to your insurance company will do you no good.
+1 for TK4's advice of "fix it yourself and move along".
Besides (as Brian P has said), your coverage means that you have to identify and file a claim on on the "hit and run" person.

Question for those in the know:
Even if the damage is fixed without filing a claim, is it incumbent to report the same to your insurance provider?

+1 for TK4's advice of "fix it yourself and move along".
Besides (as Brian P has said), your coverage means that you have to identify and file a claim on on the "hit and run" person.

Even if the damage is fixed without filing a claim, is it incumbent to report the same to your insurance provider?
No accident report, no claim, no file.
If it tipped over off its side stand because someone bumped into it would you report it ? No.

Depends on if there was another vehicle involved or not.

Insurance companies are obligated to provide information to the Accident Reporting Centre. If you were in an accident with another vehicle, and the other party filed a report, then both insurance companies will be notified and you could be penalized for not disclosing to your own company that you were in an accident.

However, as @TK4 mentioned, if there was no other party involved, then no, you don't have to report it to the insurance company. Unless you want to make a claim.

Last edited:
DO NOT CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.

Even if making an inquiry like this can impact your rates.

You can consult an agent or broker about a hypothetical but never refer to yourself.

Fix yourself and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya fair enough, just moving on as everyone has said! If anyone wants to buy a ‘98 SRAD 750 that was in the aformentioned accident make me an offer lol!

My friend asked his insurance company if it was worth reporting a minor damage on his car but that he didn't want to make a claim, that he just asking. The agent told him it's up to him. My friend said, "Forget about it then, I will fix it myself". Months later he found out he was in the database as "car accident at fault 100%". His rates went up across the board and every insurer knew about it.

Back
Top Bottom