Help!!?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help!!??

CB Rider

Trying to pull the air box on a 01 929cbr rr to get at the plugs. 5 of 6 bolts for acceleration stacks pulled just fine, 1 not budging. Top isn't stripped but it must be JIS, the phillips just turns out. Any body in Whitby/Oshawa have a JIS driver I can borrow or a way of pulling that damned bolt. Cheers

Two things to try:

1) file the tip off your Phillips, the only difference (I think) is a JIS has no point so it's won't bottom out in the screw.
2) Use a battery powered impact screw driver. If you have a tight fit, use a flex shaft -- they still work thru an impact driver.

Buy a hammer impact driver :| should be mandatory equipment with every Japanese built motorcycle.
I bought mine when I was 11, the one you buy will probably look about the same but 50+ years newer.

or you could try one of those battery cordless impact screwdrivers, they work good and you can easy get JIS bits for them.

... if all else fails cut a slot across the face of the screw and turn it into a straight slot screw :|

is acceleration stacks anything like a velocity stack?

The suggestion of the hammer impact driver is better than the electric one. The hammer type applies some downward force as well as a turning force so the screw is less prone to stripping out , and you dont have to strike it very hard. And find a JIS bit and next time your near the dealer get a new screw so you dont go through this again.

I'm not sure why Japanese bikes dont just ship a bit set with every bike, so many thousands of bikes sold, so many millions of screws wrecked.

I'm not sure why Japanese bikes dont just ship a bit set with every bike, so many thousands of bikes sold, so many millions of screws wrecked.

Have you looked in the tool kit? Mine came with one.

Back
Top Bottom