Help pick tires for track days | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help pick tires for track days

Domon

Site Supporter
Hey everyone just wanted to get your input on what tire I should use for track days. The bike is only for track there's no street riding anymore so it doesn't matter if it's a slick or partial DOT but I am about 270 pounds and would like a good tire I'm pretty aggressive on the corner entry and want something with grip but that will still last for the season. Including a picture of my old q3s that I ran a couple years ago. Haven't done a track day since COVID started so trying to get back into it.

Thank you all for your help
Fil

Sent from my Pixel 7 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

What bike, and how many days per season? FYI, if you liked the Q3/Q3+, it has been discontinued and has been replaced by the Q5S. The Q4 has also been discontinued and replaced by the Q5 (no S).

I usually want to do about 6 to 7 trackdays a year. I have a 05 cbr600rr.

I found this video helpful as a starter about how tires work vs skill (my lack there of).
Great video, had no idea higher speed ratings also meant the tires need more speed/heat to maintain optimal temperature/grip

Go to a CBSK race and pick up some scrubs , great deals on slicks

I have an '06 CBR600 but I'm a little lighter than you. I've been using the GPA that Pro 6 had on special for a while.
"something with grip" and "last all season" are a bit mutually exclusive.
I would get 2 weekends out of a front and 1 weekend out of a rear, running low to mid 2:20s at Calabogie.

I have available Pirelli SC3 TD for sale; they are street legal semi-slicks intended for trackday guys. They are very capable and the pricing on them is good. Available in most sizes. You can check it out here: LINK

Looks plenty good enough from here. The usual nuisances with spray-can paint are lack of resistance to fuel spills (so be careful), and not much resistance to stone chips (so big deal, re-do it if it ever starts bugging you).

Take up Sebi's offer. I do not think you will exceed the performance limits of those tires on a track day. They're meant for exactly that application.

Back
Top Bottom