Help Me Choose a 3 Week Route | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help Me Choose a 3 Week Route

appreciate the offer ST16
at this point I'm leaning towards my first preference
meandering down to FLA and then into the keys

I like LC's idea of the 4 corners region
and I love the idea of BC and down PCH
but both of those have several wasted days across regions that don't interest me
flyover country

this is a rough idea of a route down through the Appalachians to FLA
other than half a day getting through NYS there are not any wasted miles
and tons of variation possible down and the way back up

7wfPogX.jpg

Actually, I've heard good things about the Ozarks in Arkansas and Missouri...they've got some interesting roads out there...

but both of those have several wasted days across regions that don't interest me
flyover country

7wfPogX.jpg

That was almost identical to the route I had planned this summer, only other stop I had planned was the Barber Museum in Alabama, though 1 week in I crashed in Tennessee on my way to the BRP. Was upset as it was a beautiful sunny day and 2 weeks of pure sunshine ahead, have no doubt I shall go back and finish the trip someday, however this time toward the end of summer closer to the fall, when things are cooler and more red. Check out Fallingwater in Pennsylvania if you have time.

Get travel insurance for peace of mind, forget Alliance, try World Nomads. Most others will tell you to just go through your motorcycle insurance for inquires, and mine didn't even pay for accommodations.

I took camping gear, however some place hotel prices vs camping were pretty decent I only camped once, I just did walk-ins and got rates like $50-60/night at 4-5 star places, one day even got a Jacuzzi/spa suite cause I arrived late in the evening. Campsites are plenty, scenery is great, took alot of detours and back roads going with the flow.

Reactions: J_F
You're not wrong. I spent a few days riding around Arkansas, great roads.

Bible belt. If you're not religious, it's a bit jarring. I have stories.

Do tell.

You're not wrong. I spent a few days riding around Arkansas, great roads.

Bible belt. If you're not religious, it's a bit jarring. I have stories.

Very true, I didn't even make it all the way there and I spotted some kind of church every few meters, I saw more churches than homes in some areas, lot's of good reads from signs along the way o_O

With that timeframe, as much as I love the west coast elevation, I'd probably +1 to the Florida/east coast.
Love the elevation from South of West Virgina through to South Carolina.
If you're ever in the SC area, I have a wicked airbnb recommendation for a couple that runs a BnB atop Jonas Ridge (close to Asheville). Great homecooked breakfast, great view at one of the top peaks in the area.
Love that area.

Anything south of Atlanta is interstate and terrible even in a car.

If you do get to Florida and if you like Automitive race history, please visit the Rev’s Institute in Naples to see the Colliers collection

flyover country

7wfPogX.jpg

Last edited:
Would you not be better to ride it back with the wind and truck it out ahead of timez? I do that direction when I fly the bike.
Then you can stay in a good weather system all the way home where going into the weather you are sure to hit some rain given the way the prevailing winds blow plus having a nice tailwind makes for a more relaxed and quieter ride.

Let us know if you can find $400-600 ...I've not been able to.

not interested in riding across any of this ✈

6nWZzgR.jpg

I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on my bike either. ;)

Florida the the updated NASA centre ( has Space X there as well ) is well worth a 1/2 day break.

There is a good diving park on the way down the keys. They will rent you gear or take a boat tour with gear.

Key West is kinda fun. Watch for the green flash at end of day. You can take snorkel and tour of the Dry Tortugas

I found accommodations expensive along the route.

Also coming back from a west coast ride if you hit Glacier and Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Parkway ....lovely riding
Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (Wyoming) - 2020 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - Tripadvisor
then the Black Hills you are a 3 day ride or ( 2 if you pedal hard ( 1500 miles ) to the GTA on 85 mph+ slab,
We got home 2 days early doing that route. Rapid City to Mississauga ...basically one overnight given your willingness to put distance on. You get a big tail wind and you can really make time. Interesting riding up to that point.
It's quite pretty in June.
1582064203875.png

Lots of pronghorn ...
1582064098088.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at Feb, 18    2020    5.00.42 PM.jpg

I think better than going outbound into the weather. Let the truck do the boring part outbound to the west coast. Have fun and come back the last weekend. Then you oversee the loading in the GTA.

I prefer doing the west ( actually anywhere ) in mid- June with the longest daylight hours and it's cooler. Even in mid - June the BC valleys get hot and it's hard to get gear that handles all the temperature swings.

Last edited:
With that timeframe, as much as I love the west coast elevation, I'd probably +1 to the Florida/east coast.
Love the elevation from South of West Virgina through to South Carolina.
If you're ever in the SC area, I have a wicked airbnb recommendation for a couple that runs a BnB atop Jonas Ridge (close to Asheville). Great homecooked breakfast, great view at one of the top peaks in the area.
Love that area.

I also have a fondness for the Carolinas
on the way down or back I will go that route and skip Georgia

please yeah, let me know about that airBnB

Florida the the updated NASA centre ( has Space X there as well ) is well worth a 1/2 day break.

I did the Cape Canaveral tour in December when we were there on a cruise. I'd plan for a full day if you want time to see and do everything at a relaxed and enjoyable pace. Given the fact I was on an excursion and our ship got in late in the day I only effectively had about 5-6 hours on site. I did manage to cram a surprising amount of stuff into that amount of time, but I left knowing I missed a lot, and zipped through other areas that I did actually see trying to fit in as much as was physically possible.

I know he'll spend more time ;) The space shuttle behind the screen just completely freaked me out.
1582066283954.png

Last edited:
Fly you bike to Panama, hire a bunch of locals and go down in history as the first rider to cross the Darien Gap by cruiser.

Back
Top Bottom