Help! Can I use a non stock size tire? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help! Can I use a non stock size tire?

tsdexter

I'm having the most difficult time ordering tires for my new bike. Can't get a matching set anywhere

Can someone who's actually done it confirm whether or not I can use Pirelli sport demon:

110/70H17 front (stock size)
130/80H17 rear (not stock - stock is 130/70H17)

Is the 80 height going to work on the my 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r.

Please no 'opinions', I'd like an answer from someone who knows for sure. ie: has done it or seen it without issue.

Thanks

you're not going to get a straight answer.
Have I seen it: YES
Did it work: Depends
Would I do it myself: NO, Especially not if I was a new rider like yourself.
Will it Cause issues: YES, different lean angle, less power.
Would you notice a difference: NO, first bike, first set of tires...

Do a quick search on kawiforums, you'll see tons of threads about this.

you're not going to get a straight answer.
Have I seen it: YES
Did it work: Depends
Would I do it myself: NO, Especially not if I was a new rider like yourself.
Will it Cause issues: YES, different lean angle, less power.
Would you notice a difference: NO, first bike, first set of tires...

Do a quick search on kawiforums, you'll see tons of threads about this.

Thanks, did some research and decided against it.

If you do a check on ninjette.org there is tons of info on tire sizes. Generally stock is best followed by a 140/70 rear like the Pirelli Diablo II and finally 150/60 rears. The Bridgestone bt-016 is a common 150/60 size that supposedly runs to the narrow end of this size spectrum so fits with minor pinching. Other 150's may be wider and suffer more pinching which is generally considered bad (though any pinching at all is not optimal) and may even rub so if you go this route make sure about the tire before mounting.

If you do a check on ninjette.org there is tons of info on tire sizes. Generally stock is best followed by a 140/70 rear like the Pirelli Diablo II and finally 150/60 rears. The Bridgestone bt-016 is a common 150/60 size that supposedly runs to the narrow end of this size spectrum so fits with minor pinching. Other 150's may be wider and suffer more pinching which is generally considered bad (though any pinching at all is not optimal) and may even rub so if you go this route make sure about the tire before mounting.

Thanks. I'm on Ninjette too. I copy/pasted this post from there actually.

Good call!
I know it must be a pita with your tires not arriving yet but just wait, you have your whole life ahead to ride, no need to rush anything.

Who did you end up buying from? Any updates?

Good call!
I know it must be a pita with your tires not arriving yet but just wait, you have your whole life ahead to ride, no need to rush anything.

Who did you end up buying from? Any updates?

Was hoping to just switch orders with Pete but it's looking like I may have to go Zdenos at $70 higher than Pete plus rude customer service + not calling me back yesterday. Although fortunately this morning he said they're really busy but he is holding them until he can get back to me with the final price shipped so I can place the order. Hopefully that will be in time to ship today still.

I believe the first number is width and the second number is the height of the tire. Did you look at your bike to see how much clearence there is as you spin your wheel around? Moving from 70 to 80 may not be that big of a difference. If the clearence is there, this is done to bikes all the time.

Back
Top Bottom