Helmets on a plane?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmets on a plane??

timtune

Site Supporter
Ever fly with your full face lid? How did you pack / protect it?
Flying south to rent a bike and would prefer not to rent a used helmet.

And that pretty much hoovers up the allowable carry on then?

I too would never wear a helmet worn by someone else, so when we went to Spain and were planning on renting bikes, we put our jackets and boots in our checked in luggage and our helmets in our carry ons...no issues whatsoever...

Ever fly with your full face lid? How did you pack / protect it?
Flying south to rent a bike and would prefer not to rent a used helmet.

Did it on my trip to Thailand in ‘17 and will do so again when I return this year. Helmet as personal item in its carrying bag. Backpack as my carry on luggage.

+1 to the helmet as carry on -- in a good helmet bag. Never had a problem.

A few times I even rode the bike to the airport, parked in the free motorcycle parking right at the terminal (check out PDX), and flown wearing my leathers and boots.

TSA let me walk through the scanners no problem.

When you're wearing your gear it doesn't count against your carry-on luggage ;)

Just wear the helmet on the plane.

+1 to the helmet as carry on -- in a good helmet bag. Never had a problem.

A few times I even rode the bike to the airport, parked in the free motorcycle parking right at the terminal (check out PDX), and flown wearing my leathers and boots.

TSA let me walk through the scanners no problem.

When you're wearing your gear it doesn't count against your carry-on luggage ;)
How long and (un)comfortable was that flight?

I couldn’t wear my gear flying, rigor mortis starts settling in after a couple hrs on a plane

A 5 hour flight is as uncomfortable in gear as it is out of it. At least I wasn't cold... and I really didn't care what surfaces I bumped up in to. Or what surfaces bumped into me.

Always have carried it as a personal item. Usually a backpack for my carry on. Gloves go inside helmet and I wear a plaid motorcycle jacket that looks casual. Fun fact: wearing something with kevlar panels sewn-in will freak out the people at the body scanner.

No you're allowed two pieces. I normally carry a backpack and the helmet bag.
and really depends on the airline as well if they count it. I flew once with AC and they allowed my backpack + helmet bag and carryon.
Then local Hawaiian airline did not and was about to make me check one of my bags. The plane was half full. I was in a time crunch for my rental and so I quickly took it out of the bag, threw it on my head and said there. They allowed me to bring it.

Always have carried it as a personal item. Usually a backpack for my carry on. Gloves go inside helmet and I wear a plaid motorcycle jacket that looks casual. Fun fact: wearing something with kevlar panels sewn-in will freak out the people at the body scanner.
How so? Do the hand held scanners pick it up? Or is it an issue with the xray machine?

How so? Do the hand held scanners pick it up? Or is it an issue with the xray machine?
The x-ray machine picked it up. The guy thought there was something sewn into my jacket (drugs i'd guess?) and was going over all of the doubled up kevlar panel areas. He gave me a weird look when I said the jacket was kevlar, then once I said motorcycle I was on my way. It was at Pearson so his English wasn't very good.

Trips after that I just take it off and put it in the bin.

The x-ray machine picked it up. The guy thought there was something sewn into my jacket (drugs i'd guess?) and was going over all of the doubled up kevlar panel areas. He gave me a weird look when I said the jacket was kevlar, then once I said motorcycle I was on my way. It was at Pearson so his English wasn't very good.

Trips after that I just take it off and put it in the bin.

Thanks for the heads up. Having lived in the middle east, something like this would get security all up in my ***.
It's bad enough I get bomb screened every 3-6 months when flying lol.

Who are you flying with?
Air Canada has a max size for personal item 6"x13"x17" so a helmet is too big. Carry on is 9"x10"x15.5" so technically it's also too small for a lid (min dimension of the helmet is about 9.5" wide). Maybe they let it slide but not risking an expensive trip on the whim of some airline employee.

For a serious trip where I'm bringing all my gear ... I have a hockey bag that it all goes into, as checked baggage.

For a serious trip where I'm bringing all my gear ... I have a hockey bag that it all goes into, as checked baggage.
Do you protect the lid inside the bag? I figure luggage gets tossed around some and is not always treated kindly.

Back
Top Bottom