Helmet on ground to indicate rider needs help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet on ground to indicate rider needs help

Lorgayle

Ok, so ever since I've been riding, I always heard that if you have a breakdown, place your helmet on the ground by your bike so other riders will see you are in trouble. My friend and I were out riding today. She broke down while travelling on Hwy 3 in Cayuga. We got our bikes off the road and placed our helmets on the ground by our bikes. We found a tiny bit of shade to sit and and we sat. The vultures were soaring above us.. (thanks birds....) and all the riders that passed waved or nodded. We laughed about this while waiting for the tow truck. Not one rider even slowed down to ask if we needed any help in over an hour.... I have to be honest, it was a little surprising.... :) No bashing please, this is just an observation, not a rant, and not a complaint.....

Ok, so ever since I've been riding, I always heard that if you have a breakdown, place your helmet on the ground by your bike so other riders will see you are in trouble. My friend and I were out riding today. She broke down while travelling on Hwy 3 in Cayuga. We got our bikes off the road and placed our helmets on the ground by our bikes. We found a tiny bit of shade to sit and and we sat. The vultures were soaring above us.. (thanks birds....) and all the riders that passed waved or nodded. We laughed about this while waiting for the tow truck. Not one rider even slowed down to ask if we needed any help in over an hour.... I have to be honest, it was a little surprising.... :) No bashing please, this is just an observation, not a rant, and not a complaint.....

If you didn't look distressed, they probably thought you guys were just relaxing and enjoying the weather or something.

Yeah, that's what we figured too. I'm sure if we were waving like we needed help, someone would have stopped for sure. The vultures were a bit much though, don't you think? ;)

It does usually mean rider in distress, but I think many dont know that.

Me and a buddy were out riding, and he got a flat. We put helmets on the ground and spend about 2 hours waiting for the flat bed. No one stopped. After the flatbed picked him up, I rode ahead so I could enjoy the twisties. As soon as I pulled over to the shoulder to let them catch up, the first car that passed me stopped to ask if I needed help (and I was wearing my helmet).

So I think being alone generates more of a 'distressed' feel. More than one person and they just think you're lounging around

Depends on where you put your helmets.
If you put them on the ground immediately beside your bike, then yes, I can understand people just whizzing by without second thought.

If you're in distress, your helmet should be on the ground 10ish feet before your bike, so people travelling in the same direction as you understand it to be a clear signal, not a simple comfort stop.

It's in the MTO manual. Posted up page and reference a few months back in a similar thread.

It supposed to be on the ground some distance from your bike. If you put it by your kickstand, that really doesn't mean anything.

That makes perfect sense to put the helmet away from the bike. Not so natural looking and would draw attention. I will keep that in mind for sure. Thanks for the input.

Its not a universal thing, so I would expect it to work universal. I have been riding 15+ years and never really thought of this or heard about it.

Probably the only fool proof method is to get a "help" sign and strap it to the back of your bike so people see.

Funny thing is I always put my helmet on the mirror when waiting for a tow or gas, riders have always stopped and asked if I need help. Thankfully, I've never been in need of actual help.

I'll stop regardless if I see a rider on the side of the road that looks like they might need help.

I stop if its safe and reasonable to do so...

Show some leg...might improve your chances

Guys are to put a helmet on the ground, chicks string their bra across the handlebars. You'll get all the help you need.

On our trip to Port Dover the past 13th, one of our bikes broke down, on the 403, with electrical issues. Fortunatley he was able to go from the far left lane to the right shoulder with no power. While on the shoulder, we were checking out the bike (with seat off etc) and 5 people bent over looking for problems. In the 20 mins there, 3 different drivers (not motorcyclists) pulled over to make sure we're ok (thank you again drivers if your reading).

Morale of the story; if you need help, look like you need help and the goodness of people will come through (hopefully).

If you didn't look distressed, they probably thought you guys were just relaxing and enjoying the weather or something.

I was the friend with Lorgayle, and you're right. And like she said, that's what we figured too. We did kind of look like we were just relaxing; trying to stay out of the sun :) This is the second time in as many weeks that my bike has broken down. But this time, I had (adult) company and knew that CAA was on the way, so I wasn't feeling as panicked.

I didn't know about actually placing the helmet some distance from the bike. That makes sense. It would be interesting to put it to the test though (hopefully, I won't need to again). In all honesty, I truly believe it all depends on the people who cross your path. There really are still some kind-hearted people in this world. I've been very fortunate to meet some.

So you... didn't really need help?

You already had a tow truck on the way and you were concerned that people weren't responding to your sign for help? You didn't need help. Why would you have left a sign up asking for help, as you thought it was, when you already had help on the way>? Doesn't make sense to me.

On our trip to Port Dover the past 13th, one of our bikes broke down, on the 403, with electrical issues. Fortunatley he was able to go from the far left lane to the right shoulder with no power. While on the shoulder, we were checking out the bike (with seat off etc) and 5 people bent over looking for problems. In the 20 mins there, 3 different drivers (not motorcyclists) pulled over to make sure we're ok (thank you again drivers if your reading).

Morale of the story; if you need help, look like you need help and the goodness of people will come through (hopefully).

The idea that there are universal signs for bikers is crap. Like tapping your helmet for coppers ahead, most people have no idea what a helmet on the ground is supposed to mean.

When I see a biker on the side of the road I try to make eye contact and raise a thumb up. If they give me one in return I know they're cool. If they're in need of help I'd expect them to make it obvious. I'm not going to come to a stop, turn off my MP3, turn off my bike and ask them if they're okay only to be met with a blank look and a "yeah, I'm fine".

If you have your head stuck into the engine or you have the gas tank open looking disheartened then it's pretty easy to see that you may need help at a glance.

A helmet on the ground doesn't mean anything to me because the possibility you actually put it there as a signal is slim.

Oh, and two bikers relaxing at the side of the road away from their two motorcycles means they don't need help they're taking a break. I wouldn't probably have even slowed down. How about waving to attract attention if you need help instead of laying at your ease?

Last edited:
as a new rider I do know about the helmet on the ground means a rider in distress,I have also asked riders on the side of the road if they are ok when i see them on the roadside,I think if you are a careing person you may stop faster than a person who doesnt care about anyone else.

as a new rider I do know about the helmet on the ground means a rider in distress,I have also asked riders on the side of the road if they are ok when i see them on the roadside,I think if you are a careing person you may stop faster than a person who doesnt care about anyone else.

Careful you dont get yourself into an accident from trying to help someone else.

Page 83 in the handbook, "If you need help, place your helmet on the ground near the road. This is a signal among motorcycle drivers that a motorcyclist needs help."

Back
Top Bottom