Helmet life | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet life

Here's what Snell says:
"Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
Unused helmets stored in good condition do not automatically expire after five years. Replacing helmets every five years is a judgement call based on testing helmets used by the California Highway Patrol by Dr. George Snively. Wear and tear, the simple act of putting on and taking off helmets, damage the comfort pads and energy absorbing foam liner over time. Helmets with worn-out pads are at least one to two sizes larger than helmets in new condition. A poorly fitted helmet makes it more likely that the helmet will shift too much or even come off the head during a crash impact. For these reasons, Snell recommends replacing helmet after five years of normal use."
Reference: Snell helmets certification - FAQ

Was looking at new helmets yesterday. Man are they ever expensive. The Neotec II's here, haven't started to be discounted yet, even though the III's have come out in Europe. It seems that my ego or head may have shrunk, as I seem to be a medium now rather than a large.

Helmets with worn-out pads are at least one to two sizes larger than helmets in new condition
Which is why buying new liners and pads every 5 years or even less makes sense. Cheap refresh and some vendors like Shark offer a variety of cheek pad sizes to avoid the guppy look.

Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at Sep, 21    2023    9.40.27 PM.jpg

um checked the price of a C3 helmet lately?
c3 helmet from motohut.ca
The comprehensive acoustics package with optimized helmet shell, wind deflector and ergonomic shape of the neck padding make the C3 Pro – at 82 dBA – one of the ...
Rating: 5 · ‎2 reviews · ‎$699.99
$120 for the visor which you really don't need to replace unless it is damaged. $68 for the liner.
Why would I ever give up a helmet that fits well and is broken in. A refreshed liner is an easy thing tho I wash my liners regularly and wear a thin balaclava - keeps the IEMs in place.

Liner for my Shark Evoline is $35 from Fort Nine and the visor is $96 if needed.

But the helmet is $560
Makes zero monetary or safty sense to "buy new helmet" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your decision regarding helmet life is your opinion. Which you are entitled to.
My decision is based on my experience. Which is my opinion.
Underwear can last for decades. Just sayin'.

Well if it's EPS jocks sure, good for 500 years or so. :rolleyes:

My information is also based on experience and I've been riding longer than you if that sort of nonsense to has any bearing.....and not a few of those years all year round.

I base my decision on looking at materials science ....try it sometime, instead of offering puerile wise cracks.:coffee:
So do these guys

The expert has spoken. I concede the debate. Old helmets are safe for everyone from this date forward.
What's your prize Oz fella?

After five concussions, I like to upgrade with the new technologies and standards.

Not a lot of new tech for the EPS liner tho carbon fiber for shells is a nice if expensive move forward.
D30 tho has some new tech worth considering. Their armour is impressive.

Getting amped up: D3O develop new AMP helmet liner system absorb low-level impacts​

Published: 29 April 2022Updated: 29 April 2022
Previous Slide◀Next Slide▶
1695448657160.png

And go nuts

snip
. Although many new materials or structures for designing helmet liners have been suggested to improve the protection capability of the helmet, the availability of a new generation of helmet designs as commercial products is hardly noticeable.
:coffee:

Helmets are like tires. If they have been stored in original packaging out of the sun with no sweat or use and in temperature controlled environment, then they will last longer. It is the outside environments / human body that cause these pieces to degrade, including using the helmet and THEN storing for years.

um checked the price of a C3 helmet lately?

$120 for the visor which you really don't need to replace unless it is damaged. $68 for the liner.

It's not $68, when you select one of the sizes it's $84, and they're all out of stock at that link anyways.

I was just at Royal Distributing, they're having their tent sale until Sunday, lots of HJC and Bell helmets for just over $200. You're not any safer in a C3.

I base my decision on looking at materials science ....try it sometime, instead of offering puerile wise cracks.:coffee:
Don't knock puerile wise cracks.

A a lover of wise cracks I could take offence at such a remark; if it wasn't for my deep appreciation of a good wise crack and it's intent.

There's plenty more good reasons to buy a new helmet than there are to soldier on with new linings etc.

I'm ALWAYS going to "err" on the side of getting a new one because it's quieter, it fits better, it's not scratched, the liner parts aren't worn out, I want a different color (I only buy white though) or I just feel like it.

That's not to cast aspersions on the material science notion, but I do value advances in technology so if something is better in some significant way than what I've got, I MIGHT be a customer.

Also, I'm glad to see you're feeling better enough to resume arguing over topical minutiae. Carry on!

Its about the 5 year mark where i start looking for replacements. If not for the general helmet rule then its for my 'bored/update' rule
With 4 helmets currently in rotation, it comes down to whatever floats my boat on a specific day.
They're all safe, within spec, and the sum total cost was less than the price of a top line Arai or Shoei.
Your results, of course, may differ.

"Stubborn" ???? sure when someone propagates a myth and thereby misleads others....I'll call it out everytime. :coffee:
Mislead lol.

You and I had a disagreement when I first joined this forum. And you proved me right this year. 😉

Back
Top Bottom