Helmet camera for daily use | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet camera for daily use

The reason i didnt include it in my suggestions... battery life is abysmal. It's aimed at the "content creator crowd" that does reels and stories. So unless your commute is less than 15-30 minutes.. look at the other insta360 options :)

the one x2 lasts about 80 minutes at highest resolution (5.7k)
the one R lasts about 65 minutes at highest resolution (5.3k)
insta360s I'd only recommend it as an action cam or to catch some neat shots now and then. as a daily recorder and dashcam it has a few downsides.

insta360 video in 5.7k requires an extremely high speed microSD and ALOT of storage.
If it is going to be mounted to the bike, wouldn't be hard to run a usb to it from the bike. I've used a portable battery with mine on travels so it does run while charging. storage would be your limitation for longer runs.

It also takes time to write each file before you can start recording again (longer the video the longer the save time). a few minutes of footage takes a few seconds but if you record over 30mins be prepared to wait 1-5 mins for it to save before you can do anything.

I have the insta360 One X

What about the Insta360 Go? It's pretty small
Have you ever considered a 360 degree camera? I find helmet cams can get too much movement sometimes. Having a 360 cam mounted to the bike ensures everything around you gets recorded. You adjust the shot after with your phone or computer. For example, you can get a shot of your speedometer, a front facing shot and rear facing shot all from the same video file.

At this moment I'd like to have something compact what moves with me and can be easily switchable between my motorcycle, mountain and road bikes helmets (have 2 shelves of those : ) with a few solid few hours of battery life (my longest bicycle rides sometimes are over 8-9hrs)..

Walking around in circles I keep coming back to Ghost being the better solution for what I wanted it to be. The only thing I wish it had - image stabilization..

Thanks for the all suggestions - I really trying to fight my impulsive buyer nature and take my time, but in the end I bet i will end up with a dozen of these haha. Cheers.

At this moment I'd like to have something compact what moves with me and can be easily switchable between my motorcycle, mountain and road bikes helmets (have 2 shelves of those : ) with a few solid few hours of battery life (my longest bicycle rides sometimes are over 8-9hrs)..

Walking around in circles I keep coming back to Ghost being the better solution for what I wanted it to be. The only thing I wish it had - image stabilization..

Thanks for the all suggestions - I really trying to fight my impulsive buyer nature and take my time, but in the end I bet i will end up with a dozen of these haha. Cheers.
If you do MTB you kinda need image stabilization.

I don't know if they're still in the game but sony had some decent ones too

hmmm seems they only have one now (they used to have like half a dozen)

similar form factor to the drift too

if you are using it just as an action cam, I would again highly recommend you to try or look more into the 360 cams.
not having to worry about where it's pointed, reframing in post and all the cool effects or transitions you can do make them a much better buy than the standard action cams that honestly haven't really changed much over the years.
stabilization is also on another level because of the 360.

some do look a bit dorky on a helmet though.

If you do MTB you kinda need image stabilization.

I don't know if they're still in the game but sony had some decent ones too

hmmm seems they only have one now (they used to have like half a dozen)

similar form factor to the drift too

Yeah, I do have 50 bucks stick camera right now and it's no use when go hard on mb.

And I was considering Sony too. Seems not wildly available here in Canada although still on website (White in color : ) and not many mounting hardware options..
I knew about Sony Action Cam from videos by MotoVibes Youtube channel but he's in Germany and bought this cam a long time ago.. Now switched mostly to GoPro : )

Biker Pro cams, been using the same ones for 8 years now. These are not GoPro quality the specs, and are old now but are great as dash cams, supports loop recording and accessory on/off. You stuff the alien dude and controller under your seat they are both relatively small if you have room and just run the cable to the front and back of the bike and connect to accessory. I also have a Sena 10c on my helmet, but I use that for spot recording, the battery lasts only an hour and a bit.

Back
Top Bottom