Hello all | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello all

Er_the_red

Hi all,

I'm new at everything. New to the forum and new rider.
I took my M1 test couple of weeks ago and am in the process of registering to an MSC.
I was planing to take the course using my hiking boots, they cover my ankles and are sturdy enough to protect my feet. Did anybody do that?, what would be your recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

MSC / MSF seem to be used interchangeably depending on the location. Motorcycle safety course / motorcycle safety fundamentals is what they call the M2x in the states it seems.

Most of the M2x courses will let you take the course will minimum gear – they should have a gear section on their website showing their requirements. Generally jeans and textile boots will get you into the course but won’t do much if you drop a bike on your ankle or go for a slide. If you have the intention of riding after your course make a point of finding something MC specific. Statistically your legs/ankles are the most likely injury to receive in a non-fatal crash.

Thank you for your replies. I do plan to get proper gear, I just didn't want to buy the boots without knowing what to look for.

Welcome!

Over the ankle shoes should work for the course as long as they aren't Chelsea boots (with elastics on the side and no laces). At least that was the requirement with RTI. I brought photos of all my gear to the in-class component to get it cleared with the instructors as well, I highly recommend you do the same. Someone was almost sent home on the first day of our course because his jacket wasn't kosher. Luckily someone brought a spare.

As far as riding boots. I got a pair of Alpinestars that cover the ankle but aren't very high (high top sneakers as opposed to boots). I specifically looked for reinforcement in the heel cap and on the ankle (you can feel pucks/pads in the ankle portion which make the structure a little more rigid). Higher boots will be more protective, but more warm as well. Kind of a balance between the two. If you buy really tall gore-tex boots and don't wear them because they are too hot, they will be less effective than a shoe that's still motorcycle specific, but less engineered and more suitable to the conditions you constantly ride in.

Just my experience from being on the road for the last month and a half. I am sure more competent people on this forum will have many useful thoughts to chime in as well.

Welcome. I wore the bare min gear when I took the M1X course... Timberland boots, generic non riding leather jacket ('Guess' brand lol), and borrowed helmet + gloves. Better to check the min requirements for your course to avoid getting turned away last minute.

Met another rider recently who wasn't allowed to take the course because they were wearing tcx riding boots that "look" like sneakers. Not sure why the instructor thought they weren't sufficient. I wear these same boots whenever I ride. They're made of thick leather, cover ankles and have ankle protectors. So YMMV based on course and instructor.

Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom