Headlight Legality | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headlight Legality

IMO, the license plate sideways on a swingarm isn't illegal per se in the HTA and regulations, though you may find yourself in court trying to explain why that is the case. But most people get caught out by the detailed plate lighting requirement in the HTA.

(19) The lamp on the rear of a motor vehicle or trailer shall be of at least three candela and shall be so placed that it will, at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, illuminate the numbers on the number plate, or, if provision is made on the number plate or on any attachment furnished or required by the Ministry for affixing the lamp, it shall be affixed in the position or space provided, and the lamp shall face to the rear and reflect on the number plate a white light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (19).

As per the safety inspections regulation, the plate light has to be on all the time as well.

Excellent advice from Brian P... Why cause yourself the potential headache and hassle? The manufacturers place the plate, within the definitions. The crown "could" easily argue that a sideways mounted plate on the swingarm isn't in a conspicuous place if the bike is say in the left tire track and the officer is to the right of the vehicle, (IE in the right lane of a two lane road).

But as with most regs in the HTA it is "open to intrepetation" It is what it is, they can't ossibly have covered every imaginable scenario in every reg, otherwise the HTA would need it's own tractor trailer to move a single copy..lol

I have seen many licence plate issues with motorcycles. I don't feel that mounting a plate sideways beside the swingarm is conspicuous, for the simple fact that I can't identify the letters/numbers quickly. I have to look harder, maybe turn my head to read it, and isn't the whole point of the conspicuity requirement to make it readily identifiable? In worse cases, the plate is also bent or curved, which just makes it even harder to decipher.

With regard to alternative mounting undertail (or above the hugger), that is definitely not the rear of the motorcycle, it's effectively 'inside' the motorcycle. And there's a reason they call it a fender eliminator... because you have to remove your fender. You are required to have a fender. I would advise against the eliminator kits.

here are the light laws:

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK120

You only need two lights on a bike, headlight, red tail light. Visible from 110 meters, but no more than 300 candela.
The sideways plate will get you nailed likely for not having a plate light.

All this screwing around will do is attract unwanted attention and piss off the right cop, and I would advise against arguing with cops, because they can do whatever the hell they want to you.

With regard to alternative mounting undertail (or above the hugger), that is definitely not the rear of the motorcycle, it's effectively 'inside' the motorcycle. And there's a reason they call it a fender eliminator... because you have to remove your fender. You are required to have a fender. I would advise against the eliminator kits.

My understanding (application on cars anyways) was front most and rear most part of the vehicle...I think it states that in the latest version of the HTA. Not that I'm against an eliminator at all.

Back
Top Bottom