Head scratcher? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Head scratcher?

smokeeater341

Site Supporter
2005 GSXR 600. Brake lights were stuck on and I was starting and running the bike regularly, to save draining the battery, as I worked on it to figure out the problem. Dicovered that the rear brake switch needed adjusting and a new spring. Hopped on today, go to fire it up and it turns over like it wants to fire, but wont. Fuel injectors sound like they are working fine, all the lighting comes on and the guages are working...it just won't catch!

My question is this. Will a blown main fuse allow the fuel Injectors to deliver fuel, the starter to turn over yet not allow the bike to fire? I checked the small block of fuses ie. Ignition, Fuel but getting to the starter relay and main fuse is a lot more work because removing the rear body work requires dropping the undertail mufflers (aftermarket set up) to release all the push rivets. Just asking if this is the right area to start diagnosing the starting issue. It was starting fine prior to today...although I did start it once or twice with the charger hooked up. Is it possible that the battery charger blew the main fuse and as a result, preventing the bike from catching?

Input appreciated!

if you hooked up the battery charger wrong you could blow the main fuse, but if everything else is working, the fuse is good, just check it. try cranking the engine over with the throtle wide open, you might want to use another battery to boost yours, the amp draw could be too much for one battery, preventing the engine from starting cold.

If the main fuse is blown, nothing electrical whatsoever will work (and that includes the starter motor - Main power to the starter motor does not go through the main fuse, but the control power that goes through the starter switch and fires the starter solenoid does go through the main fuse. No control power ... no starter motor.) It is quite safe to rule this out as being the problem.

starting and running the bike regularly without it going over 3000 rpm would help flatten the battery.
Each start is a good load, several starts would not be good for it

Recharge and try again

Donald

2005 GSXR 600. Brake lights were stuck on and I was starting and running the bike regularly, to save draining the battery, as I worked on it to figure out the problem. Dicovered that the rear brake switch needed adjusting and a new spring. Hopped on today, go to fire it up and it turns over like it wants to fire, but wont. Fuel injectors sound like they are working fine, all the lighting comes on and the guages are working...it just won't catch!

My question is this. Will a blown main fuse allow the fuel Injectors to deliver fuel, the starter to turn over yet not allow the bike to fire? I checked the small block of fuses ie. Ignition, Fuel but getting to the starter relay and main fuse is a lot more work because removing the rear body work requires dropping the undertail mufflers (aftermarket set up) to release all the push rivets. Just asking if this is the right area to start diagnosing the starting issue. It was starting fine prior to today...although I did start it once or twice with the charger hooked up. Is it possible that the battery charger blew the main fuse and as a result, preventing the bike from catching?

Input appreciated!

Yup, battery charge is probably too low. Boost to start or install a new battery to get yourself going.

Thanks to all who replied with helpful advice. Fuse was fine, so I gave the battery a good charge, turned it over with the throttle wide open and within 30 seconds it fired! Gave it a good run today, refuelled it and ran some errands. All good! Started each time, didn't struggle and rode as comfortably and reliably as it always has.

Cheers to those who responded.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom